Q&A's with the new BRP author version 2.0

Trifletraxor

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's good news, and some "bad" news:

The good news is that Charlie has given me the OK to post preview material, and even offered to provide some stuff. I'm going to get out my wife's digital camera and post a few images of the book, complete with the TEMPORARY cover (which may look familiar to longtime BRP fans).

The "bad" news is that today is my wedding anniversary, and I'm booked for the evening, so it'll have to be tomorrow that I get that stuff out. I'll post it on a new thread on this forum.

There's good news, and some "bad" news:

The good news is that Charlie has given me the OK to post preview material, and even offered to provide some stuff. I'm going to get out my wife's digital camera and post a few images of the book, complete with the TEMPORARY cover (which may look familiar to longtime BRP fans).

:thumb::D:D:thumb:

BTW, Happy Aniversary.

The "bad" news is that today is my wedding anniversary, and I'm booked for the evening, so it'll have to be tomorrow that I get that stuff out. I'll post it on a new thread on this forum.

Fine with us. Another day or two is fine, we weren't expecting instant results. Besides, who would answer our questions and post the preview if you wife throttles you for ignoring you anniversary. :eek:

PS,

Thanks Jason!!

Oh, and Thank Charlie, too!

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Very good. Very nice from both of you. Thanks to all.

I hope I will never have to suffer worst news for my part.

Happy Anniversary.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Jason,

as writer of the BRP book, what supplements would you like to see in the pipeline for BRP, if you had your own wishlist what would it be ?

In no particular order:

• A magic powers book expanding the use of magic and sorcery, and adding more like summoning, etc.
  • A fantasy setting book leaning more towards the sword-and-sorcery than the elves, dwarves, etc.
  • A high fantasy setting book (with the elves, dwarves, etc.) to serve as Chaosium's "new Glorantha"
  • A science fiction setting book including spaceship/vehicle rules (combat, construction, customization, etc.) - maybe a revised Worlds Beyond?
  • A post apocalyptic setting book
  • Historical setting books (ancient Egypt, Japan, Celtic Ireland, etc.)

I'm (hopefully) writing on a book that's none of those, though.

In no particular order:

• A magic powers book expanding the use of magic and sorcery, and adding more like summoning, etc.
  • A fantasy setting book leaning more towards the sword-and-sorcery than the elves, dwarves, etc.
  • A high fantasy setting book (with the elves, dwarves, etc.) to serve as Chaosium's "new Glorantha"
  • A science fiction setting book including spaceship/vehicle rules (combat, construction, customization, etc.) - maybe a revised Worlds Beyond?
  • A post apocalyptic setting book
  • Historical setting books (ancient Egypt, Japan, Celtic Ireland, etc.)

They all sound good to me :D. I'm curious about the swords and sorcery one, do you mean something like Robert E Howard style swords and sorcery or something altogether different ? Care to elaborate a bit ?

I'm curious about the swords and sorcery one, do you mean something like Robert E Howard style swords and sorcery or something altogether different ? Care to elaborate a bit ?

I mean sword-and-sorcery ala Michael Moorcock, Robert E. Howard, Karl Edward Wagner, etc.

A world of humans, with gritty blood-soaked pulpy combat, ancient and evil gods, lost cities, where sorcery is generally evil, and heroes don't go festooned in magic gear bought in the magic equivalent of Wal-Mart.

Feels weird to quote myself, but I got the official go-ahead on my next project, and will be working on it as soon as my proofing/editing pass on BRP is done!

More info will follow when I'm at work on it.

Jason,

The pics, got me curious...

I've seen that there is a Strategy skill. How does that work in BRP terms?

Any other new skills?

Judging by the skill categories, are the formulas for Combat skills the same as one of the other formulas (Manipulation, Physical) as in RQ, or it is different?

Thanks again for the peek into the future. It's nice just to see that the book does exist. :D

I've seen that there is a Strategy skill. How does that work in BRP terms?

When the GM allows, a successful Strategy skill can provide a slight bonus to the team with the Strategist. It can be used in mass combat situations (though those are only superficially handled).

Any other new skills?

Command

Teach

A lot of weapon/combat skills were folded into cap-skills, like Artillery

Rather than a dozen or more specific knowledge and science sorts of skills, there's a Knowledge skill and a Science skill that depend on specialties (or can be used as-is for a very light game).

Sense covers scent/touch/taste

Judging by the skill categories, are the formulas for Combat skills the same as one of the other formulas (Manipulation, Physical) as in RQ, or it is different?

Mostly the same. I think there may have been one or two slight tweaks.

Rather than a dozen or more specific knowledge and science sorts of skills, there's a Knowledge skill and a Science skill that depend on specialties (or can be used as-is for a very light game).

Ah, specialties. How do those work in BRP? DO they add to the main skill when applicable? Or add a flat bonus? Or...?

Ah, specialties. How do those work in BRP? DO they add to the main skill when applicable? Or add a flat bonus? Or...?

Rather than having a bunch of individual skills like Chemistry, Physics, Metallurgy, etc. you have Science (Chemistry), Science (Physics), Science (Metallurgy), etc. This also makes it easier to determine potential cross-skill bonuses, such as if your Science (Chemistry) skill might add a bonus to your Science (Metallurgy) skill.

Mostly it just cleans up the character sheet.

If the GM is running a really quick-and-light game, a character might just have "Science" as a flat skill that covers everything.

Rather than having a bunch of individual skills like Chemistry, Physics, Metallurgy, etc. you have Science (Chemistry), Science (Physics), Science (Metallurgy), etc. This also makes it easier to determine potential cross-skill bonuses, such as if your Science (Chemistry) skill might add a bonus to your Science (Metallurgy) skill.

Mostly it just cleans up the character sheet.

If the GM is running a really quick-and-light game, a character might just have "Science" as a flat skill that covers everything.

What I mean is, are Science (Chemistry) and Science (physics) related in game terms, like one skill defaulting to the other, or are that essentially two different skills under the Science "umbrella"?

Ringworld used to have specialties, where the specialty rating would add to the main skill, and I was wondering if that was the idea.

Can someone with 1H Sword skill take a specialty in shortsword, and by so doing be better with a shortsword than other one handed blades?

Fear of the Duck just posted a load of questions for you (33 actually!) in the Playtest Questions thread Jason!

Hi Jason,

This thread seemed to be pretty dense already so I thought that as I had a huge info dump I'd start a new thread - hope you don't mind me breaking it up into points rather then one huge rambling post!

Antidaeophobia - Fear that somewhere, somehow, a duck is watching you . . .

What I mean is, are Science (Chemistry) and Science (physics) related in game terms, like one skill defaulting to the other, or are that essentially two different skills under the Science "umbrella"?

They're different skills, but if one skill is relevant to the use of another, there are rules suggesting that you can add 1/10 of the supporting skill to the primary one for the purpose of the skill roll.

Can someone with 1H Sword skill take a specialty in shortsword, and by so doing be better with a shortsword than other one handed blades?

The rules allow for the GM to decide whether weapon use is going to be as broad as "1-Handed Sword" or as narrow as "Short Sword" and 'Broad Sword" being separate skills. It also suggests that skill in one category be supportive of other weapons in the same category, if appropriate.

Do you know what the situation is with the licensing aspect of BRP ? That is have Chaosium finalised how they are going to offer licenses for print, PDF, POD etc products and if they have a scale of prices resolved as yet ?

No idea, and honestly, completely outside my purview.