Q&A's with the new BRP author version 2.0

Trifletraxor

However, I expect almost everyone on this board will be using the optional skill group bonus system.

I'll bite. What is the optional skill group bonus system. It is a revision of the RQ2/RQ3/SB1 category modifiers? Or something simplier- such as all Agility skills add DEX%, Knowledge skills add add INT%, or some such?

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Jason,

You posted earlier that the Characteristic rolls (Ideal, Luck, Charisma) would play a bigger part in BRP, with roll for all stats included. Can you give some examples ?

In the past, the rolls were there, but tended to get dropped or replaced by skills. For instance the DEX roll got replaced by things like Balance, Idea roll was usually replaced by various Lore skills, etc. The Luck roll was a good idea, but almost never got used in RQ.

Are there some specific things that the Characteristic rolls are used for, or are they a default roll for when there is nothing else that applies, as in the past?

Did the chart from Cthulhu dark ages that correlates hit points of damage (as a percentage of a person's overall total) taken to the effects of the blow or wound make it or is there something similiar?

The Elric!/Stormbringer major wound table, consulted when you take 1/2 your HP in one blow, is in the default system.

You posted earlier that the Characteristic rolls (Ideal, Luck, Charisma) would play a bigger part in BRP, with roll for all stats included. Can you give some examples ?

Almost all stats. There is no characteristic roll for SIZ, of course.

We wanted a quick characteristic check when no obvious resisting force presented itself. Making characteristics more important in regular play was an important goal. Like using an Agility roll (DEX x 5) when doing something like that "balance an egg on a spoon while walking" game.

For example, here's the text from the description of the Stamina roll (CON x 5):

Based upon CON, Stamina rolls measure endurance. Use a Stamina roll whenever physical or intestinal fortitude is in question. To list a few examples, a Stamina roll might determine whether or not your character can stay awake all night, or endure seasickness, ill-prepared food, or strong drink with no ill effects.

None of them seemed as "important" as determining the POT of an opposing force. For seasickness, do you do a resistance roll versus the POT of the sea's motion? It seemed easier to just call for a characteristic roll.

Are there some specific things that the Characteristic rolls are used for, or are they a default roll for when there is nothing else that applies, as in the past?

Pretty much.

Jason,

You've mentioned on a few occasions that it would be a nice idea for there to be a BRP magic book as a supplement, including such things as the spirit magic/divine magic model, fleshed out shamanic rules etc etc. How ( to the best of your knowledge ) would the copyright work on this ? say someone wanted to do such a book and felt that Sandy petersons shamanic rules and sorcery were the best ones out there, would they need to approach Mr Peterson to use them as a basis of such a book, or would the fact that they are posted on the net in numerous places mean they were in the ' public domain' and could be used ? I have no intention of doing so I'm just curious about how the whole thing would work.

As an aside I do use Sandy's shamanry and sorcery rules in my own games as I think they are far better than the ones presented in the magic book monograph.

You've mentioned on a few occasions that it would be a nice idea for there to be a BRP magic book as a supplement, including such things as the spirit magic/divine magic model, fleshed out shamanic rules etc etc. How ( to the best of your knowledge ) would the copyright work on this ? say someone wanted to do such a book and felt that Sandy petersons shamanic rules and sorcery were the best ones out there, would they need to approach Mr Peterson to use them as a basis of such a book, or would the fact that they are posted on the net in numerous places mean they were in the ' public domain' and could be used ? I have no intention of doing so I'm just curious about how the whole thing would work.

The materials Sandy wrote are owned and copyrighted by him, unless he's sold the rights to them elsewhere. Releasing them on the web, even if for free, is in no way shape or form a relinquishment of those rights. The material will enter public domain when Sandy declares that they're in the public domain, or 75 years after his death, whichever comes first.

(Some countries vary on the length of time after death, but it's usually at least 50 years.)

My suggestion for someone wanting to do such a project (using that material) would be to contact Sandy and ask him for permission to use his work as the basis, and come to an arrangement that's mutually agreeable to both of you. This might include sharing some of the monies paid for the work. If Sandy doesn't want the material used, it's his right, and in my opinion, it's not a justification for just rewording his work and passing it off using the "you can't copyright a system, just the words" defense.

Even if you end up rewriting the whole thing from scratch, you should fully acknowledge Sandy's contribution and credit him accordingly.

Hello Jason,

OK for Sandy's independant work. But what he did for RQIII's magic book belongs to Chaosium, if I have understood correctly. So, can somebody start from this magic book (as present in the BRP monograph)?

If yes, what would be the conditions?

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

So, can somebody start from this magic book (as present in the BRP monograph)? If yes, what would be the conditions?

I don't know the contractual details (you'd have to work them out with Chaosium), but Chaosium owns the rights to the contents of the RQ3 magic book.

If you were interested in working on something related to that, you could contact them (Dustin or Charlie @chaosium.com) and submit a proposal, including an estimated word count and schedule.

They'll likely take a little time to get back to you (they're both extremely busy with the BRP book) and will either accept the proposal or ask for a revised proposal. Then they'll issue a contract.

In the case of BRP, they supplied me with electronic versions of several Chaosium publications (the DBRP/RQ3 monographs among them), as well as some copies of older books that didn't exist in electronic versions.

I handled the playtest recruitment through a few resources (Tom Zunder's The Tavern, rpg.net, some existing BRP/RQ-related mailing lists), and made a Yahoo! group to handle the playtest.

The materials Sandy wrote are owned and copyrighted by him, unless he's sold the rights to them elsewhere. Releasing them on the web, even if for free, is in no way shape or form a relinquishment of those rights. The material will enter public domain when Sandy declares that they're in the public domain, or 75 years after his death, whichever comes first.

(Some countries vary on the length of time after death, but it's usually at least 50 years.)

My suggestion for someone wanting to do such a project (using that material) would be to contact Sandy and ask him for permission to use his work as the basis, and come to an arrangement that's mutually agreeable to both of you. This might include sharing some of the monies paid for the work. If Sandy doesn't want the material used, it's his right, and in my opinion, it's not a justification for just rewording his work and passing it off using the "you can't copyright a system, just the words" defense.

Even if you end up rewriting the whole thing from scratch, you should fully acknowledge Sandy's contribution and credit him accordingly.

Seems fair enough to me, I've never really bought the "you can't copyright a system, just the words" defense. It might be legally ok but it seems a bit shoddy from a moral point of view ( well it does to me anyway ) It'd be nice if somebody did do a 'magic' supplement, that kind of thing always seems to sell well and would provide a welcome expansion of the rules and some nice variety.

As an aside, my wife has just called to inform me that I've received a package from Chaosium with some preliminary tape-bound copies of BRP inside for final checking and proofing.

The cover is a temp one, in case anyone was thinking to ask.

Can't wait to get home!

As an aside, my wife has just called to inform me that I've received a package from Chaosium with some preliminary tape-bound copies of BRP inside for final checking and proofing.

The cover is a temp one, in case anyone was thinking to ask.

Can't wait to get home!

Cool. While they obviously aren't going to make it out in December unless they're faster than any game company I ever dealt with, that might at least mean a late January release if we're lucky.

Cool. While they obviously aren't going to make it out in December unless they're faster than any game company I ever dealt with, that might at least mean a late January release if we're lucky.

The Chaosium Report that just went out said "Winter 2008" (which is to say the 2008 portion of the current winter, not the one in 12 months).

I suspect, based on a comment in the report, that there'll be some sort of advanced look or preview edition, but don't quote me on that.

Hey Jason,

Is there anyone specific that us BRP junkies can cry to , beg, or fast talk (befuddle, harmonize, mug, threated, feed to a dark troll) to persuade Chasoium to give us a fix? Even a peek at the character sheet?

I've reach the point where the ISBN's not holding off the withdrawl symptoms anymore.

Some sort of email link could be a good way for Chasoium to gauge what sort of demand there is for BRP?

I'll pass word along.

It's really a question of resources, though, and they're a pretty small company.

Thanks.:thumb:

And it doesn't have to be much. Just a jpg or two from the pdf would be nice (and something requiring little resources). Even a character sheet.

Still proof-reading? So is there time to change the spelling to "basiQ Roleplaying"?

I just think the name "basic roleplaying" is a bit too dull. The old advertising trick of mis-spelling might help. Also, of course, it's got the letters R and Q in it, reminiscent of it's heritage. And that'd open up possibilities for a daring cover title design, like...

Chaosium

_B

_a

_s

_i

RQleplaying

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Still proof-reading? So is there time to change the spelling to "basiQ Roleplaying"?

I just think the name "basic roleplaying" is a bit too dull. The old advertising trick of mis-spelling might help. Also, of course, it's got the letters R and Q in it, reminiscent of it's heritage. And that'd open up possibilities for a daring cover title design, like...

Chaosium

_B

_a

_s

_i

RQleplaying

Or maybe we could just have the first L in Roleplaying sort of be at a 45-degree angle and intersect the O, making it RQ EPLAYING?

I'll run that by Chaosium. I'm sure they'll go for it...

On a more serious note, I've emailed Chaosium about putting up some sort of preview, no matter how informal. I'll see what they decide to let me do.

However, this is really their baby, and they're the ones who ultimately are going to decide how to promote it, so no hard feelings at all if they decide to handle things themselves.

On a more serious note, I've emailed Chaosium about putting up some sort of preview, no matter how informal. I'll see what they decide to let me do.

However, this is really their baby, and they're the ones who ultimately are going to decide how to promote it, so no hard feelings at all if they decide to handle things themselves.

Yeah, we won't blame you if they say no. Thanks for the effort.If someone gives you flak the rest of us will back you up. Consider yourself warded (hey, I had to look through MW to get the right spell:D). :thumb:

Oh, BTW, if Chaosium doesn't have space for a preview on their site, I think Triff might be persuaded to host a page or two here. Of course that would give him first peek, but I think he could handle that. Well, perhaps "persuades" is the wrong word. More like we have to beat him back with a stick to keep him from bitting your hand off with the (virtual) paper. :P

Oh, BTW, if Chaosium doesn't have space for a preview on their site, I think Triff might be persuaded to host a page or two here.

I'll might be able to find some space... :rolleyes:

Of course that would give him first peek, but I think he could handle that. Well, perhaps "persuades" is the wrong word. More like we have to beat him back with a stick to keep him from bitting your hand off with the (virtual) paper. :P

windowslivewriterkhirtoyodifficulttoimplementdevelopmenti-b2afcrocodile-bite-hand-thumb1.jpg?w=131&h=81

Yum!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.