Q&A's with the new BRP author version 2.0

Trifletraxor

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at my copy, I am concerned about the Control spell. Am I reading this right?

One level cost one Power Point and allows you to take control of one person with a POW vs. POW roll. If successful "This control is total - the target cannot speak or perform any voluntary action other than those specified by your character."

It says nothing about actions that the character might be violently opposed to, such as drawing his own dagger and slitting his own throat, or forcing a mother to toss her baby in front of a speeding carriage. This seems pretty harsh for just one power point!

Add more levels and it just gets worse! 5 power points and you can have 5 people commit suicide simultaneously! :eek:

In the hands of a villain with a high POW this can be a total party kill in one round.

Is this being changed in the final draft? I was thinking maybe the spell could only effect one person and each level of the spell allowed you to effect 3 POW. So in order to effect a person with 14 POW you would need to put 5 points into the spell AND overcome his POW with a resistance test.

Oh, also I was thinking of allowing a resistance roll every round to break out. Plus another one if you wanted to force someone to do something really horrible. So it would take three rolls to get someone to commit suicide. First roll to get him under control, then next round he would try to break free (subconsciously of course) then you would command him to kill himself. He would make a final resistance roll, if he failed that, he's dead.

Well that spell sounds "overpowered". But with your multiple resistance rolls, I think you found a good solution to counter this.

Well that spell sounds "overpowered". But with your multiple resistance rolls, I think you found a good solution to counter this.

Well we will see what Jason comes up with in the final draft. There are many ways that it could be done to make it less deadly.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Well we will see what Jason comes up with in the final draft. There are many ways that it could be done to make it less deadly.

The edits I'm sending Charlie are something like this (I don't have the book on hand);

Power Point Cost = 3 per level

The revised text notes that if the target is ordered to do something that it would normally never agree to (killing an ally, something that would result in its own death, etc.) it is allowed an Idea roll. If successful, it will balk and refuse the order (but will still remain under Control). Failure means it will do the action.

If ordered once more to do the action it has previously balked at, it is allowed a second Idea roll. Failure means it will perform the action. Success means it breaks free from the Control.

The edits I'm sending Charlie are something like this (I don't have the book on hand);

Power Point Cost = 3 per level

The revised text notes that if the target is ordered to do something that it would normally never agree to (killing an ally, something that would result in its own death, etc.) it is allowed an Idea roll. If successful, it will balk and refuse the order (but will still remain under Control). Failure means it will do the action.

If ordered once more to do the action it has previously balked at, it is allowed a second Idea roll. Failure means it will perform the action. Success means it breaks free from the Control.

Reminds me of a scene in "Abbot & Costello Meet the Killer". Lou is under hypnosis and being ordered to commit suicide yet consistently manages to thwart the command.

"Perhaps you would like to choose your own manner of death? Very well, how would you like to die?"

"Old age."

:D

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Hi Jason,

I have a question about the MOV attribute. A normal human has a MOV of 10 and a chariot has a MOV of 4 (according to the vehicle chart).

Does this mean that a human can outrun a chariot?

Also, the vehicle chart shows that a horse has a MOV of 4, but in the bestiary section a horse has a Move of 12.

Could you please briefly clarify this for me?

Thank you!

BRP Ze 32/420

Well, under the Derived Characteristics section on p.31, it states same thing for a human's MOV attribute: the unit can range from 1-5 meters, with an average of 3 meters per unit, which means 30 meters per combat round.

This is exactly the same under the MOV score for vehicles on p. 265: Mov has a sliding scale of 1-5 meters; this assumes a median value of 3.

Hence my confusion.

BRP Ze 32/420

On another note related to vehicles: what is the relationship between Maneuver and Handling?

So with the chariot example: would the net bonus/penalty to the Drive skill check be +10% (Maneuver = -5% and Handling = 15)?

On p.216 it says to add/subtract the Handling modifer for the vehicle from the character's appropriate skill.

On p. 265, it says that this modifier is applied to your character's skill.

Why is Maneuver expressed as a percentage and Handling just a number?

Why have two vehicle attributes that serve the same function?

I am confuzzled :o

I would surely appreciate some incite into these vehicle attributes and there applications.

I know that I am probably missing something simple with this and the MOV attrubute for creatures and vehicles. I will probably look like an idiot when someone points out the simple and obvious answer.

But, let's assume I am an idiot and use me as measuring stick for a newbie picking their first RPG book, and it happens to be the new BRP.

BRP Ze 32/420

Hey Jason,

Considering that

"The vehicle chart MOV listings on page 267 are based on a travel MOV speed per combat round, assuming one isn't trying to sprint at top speed or overcharge the afterburner."

can we equate MOV to a vehicle's cruising speed. Say around 75% power?

I'm just trying to link up MOV Rate with some real world value.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

what is the relationship between Maneuver and Handling?

So with the chariot example: would the net bonus/penalty to the Drive skill check be +10% (Maneuver = -5% and Handling = 15)?

On p.216 it says to add/subtract the Handling modifer for the vehicle from the character's appropriate skill.

On p. 265, it says that this modifier is applied to your character's skill.

Why is Maneuver expressed as a percentage and Handling just a number?

Why have two vehicle attributes that serve the same function?

I am confuzzled :o

I would surely appreciate some incite into these vehicle attributes and there applications.

/bump...please?

BRP Ze 32/420

/bump...please?

I'm taking a look at it now and will have some clarification before too long. It's mostly a problem of having re-written the Chase system in the summer of 2006 and the vehicles tables in the fall of 2007.

However, I've just been dealing with a sick wife and daughter's 1st birthday party so I've been stretched pretty thin these last few days.

I'm taking a look at it now and will have some clarification before too long. It's mostly a problem of having re-written the Chase system in the summer of 2006 and the vehicles tables in the fall of 2007.

However, I've just been dealing with a sick wife and daughter's 1st birthday party so I've been stretched pretty thin these last few days.

I completely understand. No worries. Thanks for being to so available to us fans here. :)

BRP Ze 32/420

Ugh, I have been sick and dealing with two sick kids at the same time. Family always comes first, so take all the time you need. :cool:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

30/420

Just out of curiousity, is there a conflict mechanic other than the clunky opposed roll method described elsewhere?

As has been said a couple of times on this and other threads, there's the default one that is core to the system, and a number of alternate, optional methods.

Do you know if there are any translations planned. Particularly, do you know if there is a Spanish translation planned?

I have no idea.

I suspect that it would depend on Chaosium finding an interested publishing partner willing to do the translation.

OK, then, I assume it is now supposed to be the accepted way to do things. My disinclination to join in grows.

I was just asking which was default, and am very aware of previous posts. Never mind, though, wouldn't want to bother you. Again.

For the record, there is an option to divide the skills by 5 and then use the Resistance table. One skill would have to be declared "passive" and the owner of the "active" skill would roll to determine success or failure.

I am somewhat confused by your attitude badcat. Are you saying that if the BRP rulebook, by chance, just happened to do things exactly the way that you do in your game you would buy the game? But since it doesn't you are not? :confused:

30/420

Jason,

Since there are core defaults for BRP mechanics do you have an idea of what the standard for supplements will be, particularly in regards to NPCs?

For example if the combat default is general HP and uses the major wound table is Chaosium going to want to see that in an adventure rather than Hit locations?

Personally I think that defaulting to the more complex write up is a service to the GM in that it is easy to cut things down and tedious to bring them up to a more complex level.

How are you handling Interplanetary right now?

Regards,

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek: