BRP/Magic World/CoC7e... for Sword & Sorcery fantasy!

So I am a BIG fan of stuff like Artesia, the original Conan movie, Beastmaster, and other such Sword & Sorcery stuff (focus on the 80's a lot).

I am so done with D&D superheroes it isn't even funny.

I am falling in love with BRP, and I have to say CoC7e impresses me a lot.

So, has anyone adapted BRP to CoC7e, and has anyone done a S&S setting/expansion for BRP?

Thanks in advance :)

BE HEROIC!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Visit the Zenith Comics Patreon

2 minutes ago, rsanford said:

Well I have a low magic campaign that's sword and sorcery and then of course their is Stormbringer, Hawkmoon and Elric of Melnibone.

Yup, hence the Magic World in the title ;)

But I was meaning for CoC7e, or a BRP to CoC7e conversion guide? SRD? Anything? :)

Cheers!

You mean converting Magic World into Call of Cthulhu 7E rules? Or maybe converting BRP rules from the big gold book(BGB) into Call of Cthulhu? I don't own 7E CoC but I think the changes are pretty minor. The first notable change would be to take the Magic World or BGB stats and multiply them times 5. Another change is to remember to add disadvantages to a Magic World or BGB skill roll using a separate penalty dice instead of just subtracting a value from the skill roll. Not clear on how penalty dice work exactly so I can't explain it further.

I don't think there is a document on this site explaining what you have to do to convert from BGB or Magic World to CoC but there might be a document on how to convert 6E CoC to 7E and that would get you most of the way there.

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

58 minutes ago, rsanford said:

I don't think there is a document on this site explaining what you have to do to convert from BGB or Magic World to CoC but there might be a document on how to convert 6E CoC to 7E and that would get you most of the way there.

Does such a document exist? It would save me a LOT of time lol ;) 

13 minutes ago, Andrew Collas Presents... said:

save me a LOT of time

what @rsanford said is the jist of it. if you already know how advantage works, just ignore the bonus. Luck and its associated metacurrency is also a new mechanic, but can be derived the same way. when 6e says a characteristic, it's the lowest number of the 7e set.

4 minutes ago, hix said:

what @rsanford said is the jist of it. if you already know how advantage works, just ignore the bonus. Luck and its associated metacurrency is also a new mechanic, but can be derived the same way. when 6e says a characteristic, it's the lowest number of the 7e set.

I think you are correct sir :) and thank you Ian Absentia for the link :)

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Andrew Collas Presents... said:

I am falling in love with BRP, and I have to say CoC7e impresses me a lot.

So, has anyone adapted BRP to CoC7e, and has anyone done a S&S setting/expansion for BRP?

So, really, what you're asking is: Has anyone written a Sword & Sorcery adaptation or adventure for CoC7e?

Not that I know of, though there's perennial talk of someone writing up a Zothique setting, and there's Pulp Cthulhu, which sorta-kinda ties in to the feeling of more fantastical and less horrific.

You might want to have a look at Cthulhu Through the Ages for the Cthulhu InvictusDark Ages Cthulhu, and Mythic Iceland chapters.  Each features a far less contemporary approach to the Mythos, though I don't know that it gets you much farther along than the BRP BGB.  Still, at US$7.47, it's kind of a steal for general inspiration.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

Our group is very into customizing brp for different flavours of sword & sorcery for homebrew settings. BGB is a unvaluable resource as a startpoint. Take what you need from Magic world, stormbringer, mythic iceland, runequest...

I know is terrible business but would appreciate a chaosium "lego" line for people like us.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian Absentia said:

So, really, what you're asking is: Has anyone written a Sword & Sorcery adaptation or adventure for CoC7e?

Not that I know of, though there's perennial talk of someone writing up a Zothique setting, and there's Pulp Cthulhu, which sorta-kinda ties in to the feeling of more fantastical and less horrific.

You might want to have a look at Cthulhu Through the Ages for the Cthulhu InvictusDark Ages Cthulhu, and Mythic Iceland chapters.  Each features a far less contemporary approach to the Mythos, though I don't know that it gets you much farther along than the BRP BGB.  Still, at US$7.47, it's kind of a steal for general inspiration.

!i!

I think you can count the DreamLands in the list of the "more fantasy than horrific" settings for CoC, even though no 7e version has yet been released.

But you really only need to multiply by 5 all stats to use it as-is...

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 2

In issue two of Uncounted Worlds I published an article by one Jason Durall (who he? ;) ) entitled Tombs & Tentacles, Sword-and-Sorcery using the Cthulhu Mythos. It was aimed at CoC 6e but might be of interest.

Alas, the planned epic Sword & Sorcery setting for Magic World by Kevin A Ross, Xyserdon  was still born thanks to the MW line being moth-balled back in 2015.

Edited by NickMiddleton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, NickMiddleton said:

In issue two of Uncounted Worlds I published an article by one Jason Durall (who he? ;) ) entitled Tombs & Tentacles, Sword-and-Sorcery using the Cthulhu Mythos. It was aimed at CoC 6e but might be of interest.

Alas, the planned epic Sword & Sorcery setting for Magic World by Kevin A Ross, Xyserdon  was still born thanks to the MW line being moth-balled back in 2015.

Thanks for that sir!

Yeah the more I hear about the MW line and how much great stuff got lost, I wonder "Why not release it now?!"

:( 

3 hours ago, Mugen said:

I think you can count the DreamLands in the list of the "more fantasy than horrific" settings for CoC, even though no 7e version has yet been released.

Yeah, I don't know why I blanked on Dreamlands.  I used it as the setting for a Tunnels & Trolls campaign that I ran ages ago.

!i!

• Like 1

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green