Is anything more evocative of Runequest than TROLL BRIDGE?

olskool

A video I was given recently reminds me of not only my own mortality but also how monsters in Runequest behaved compared to those in AD&D.  If you listen to the song at the end of the video (while the credits are rolling), it is virtually a sequel to the video.  

Edited by olskool
To remove a broken link.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:08 PM, olskool said:

A video I was given recently reminds me of not only my own mortality but also how monsters in Runequest behaved compared to those in AD&D.  If you listen to the song at the end of the video (while the credits are rolling), it is virtually a sequel to the video.  

Alright olskool, I certainly owe you one. So, while this one did not make me think of Glorantha until they really began to explain the Disc with science (pretty quickly, no worries). Now, this reminds of how Glorantha is supposed to work... in a sensible manner!

Narrativium, I can dig it! Now we just need a BRP Discworld game!

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

21 hours ago, olskool said:

Alas, this link is broken.

23 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Alas, this link is broken.

Yes I know.  That's why I posted the link in the second reply.  Just click on the picture of Cohan sitting astride his horse on Troll Bridge.

There seems to be some confusion about my interpretation of this movie.  How does this resemble classic Runequest? 

1) The "monster" while in no way resembling a Gloranthan troll, has a family and an actual personality with motivations.  Runequest did this LONG before Wizards started doing it in D&D. 

2) Cohen's horse is basically intelligent and can speak ("who'd you think was bidding against you?") just like a rune-level character's Allied Spirit might.  In addition, he tries to "council" Cohen just like an Allied Spirit would.  IF you listened to the song, the horse CAN READ and Cohen can't.  Does it get anymore Runequest than that?    

3) Cohen bemoans the fact that there are more Trolls in the city than under bridges, clearly something early Runequest did do (non-humans in cities) that AD&D did not.

4) Our hero is old and broke.  EVERY Runequest PC can relate to this, whereas D&D players SCOFF at copper and silver pieces after 1st or 2nd Level.  

5) The World is changing just like a Runequest campaign world would change as the PC become rune level.  The troll recognizes Cohen ("this is Cohen the barbarian, not some farmer with a pitchfork!") just like famous people would be recognized in Runequest (admittedly AD&D would allow this too). 

6) The Troll sold out his relatives and Cohen PAID for that information just like one see Trollkin doing in Pavis.  I love the fact that Cohen says "I don't need to kill him, just defeat him."  That goes back to Runequest's ransom whereas AD&D just gives you XP for your kills. 

So, watch the video and decide for yourself if Cohen and his trusty steed are RQ or AD&D.  Listen to the song as well.  It tells THE REST of the story.   

2 hours ago, olskool said:

Yes I know.  That's why I posted the link in the second reply.  Just click on the picture of Cohan sitting astride his horse on Troll Bridge.

damn I did not expect the spanish inquisition....(insert yer fave Monty Python response here) :)

Or that I would have to defend it... but I enjoyed your contribution to BRP central and our hobby with Troll Bridge so much I thought I would reply with my own Pratchett analog .. this time centred on Glorantha.

Alas, it does seem you are correct. Your point was D&D vs RQ which I seemed to miss.  In my defence I do try to be a little colour blind to other games systems (I come from the time when the game companies played a little nicer, or at least it often seemed that way) so I just caught the RQ reference and focused on that and did not comment on D&D contrast and (final error I suppose) figured Glorantha was close enough. My bad.

So again, in thanks for that delightful film that analogues RQ so well (got that with no problem), I thought I would post a Pratchett-esque take on magic in an imaginary world as it relates to science in contrast with something a little more fantastic... magical? I find the Discworld is a great analogy for the way magic should be magical not mundane, but none the less believable. The myths must be sensible. So let’s bring this back to your point...

Now D&D is a little too serious in all the wrong ways. To nitpick about the mechanics of the system and not get picky enough about the myths and stories is this systems weakness. A weakness neither Discworld or Glorantha (and I will add, RQ) suffer from. Attention to detail on what makes a narrative makes these products/works I should say... shine. All the aspects you touch on are for good story not good murder hobo-ing. Hope that clarifies my thinking well enough

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian

I understand better the horse than the troll, and better the troll than the man. I have lost too time in black horse heroquest, I supposed.

6 hours ago, olskool said:

3) Cohen bemoans the fact that there are more Trolls in the city than under bridges, clearly something early Runequest did do (non-humans in cities) that AD&D did not.

And the lady is the leader, definitly uz culture, maybe stone-uz, maybe a mix giant and uz, but uz

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

so I just caught the RQ reference and focused on that and did not comment on D&D contrast and (final error I suppose) figured Glorantha was close enough. My bad.

welcome in the english roll fumble society, but you have an excuse, seeing how you will be in few years (at least how I see you in few years) disturbed you

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

To nitpick about the mechanics of the system and not get picky enough about the myths and stories is this systems weakness.

so true