New (free) 4.2 release of New Horizon

rsanford

@rsanford is too modest to toot his own horn here, so I'll do it. This is over 600 pages of incredibly well-done sci-fi content. Tons of great gear, psionics, vehicles, horrid otherworldly beasts and Forbidden Science. The amount of work that went into this to deliver a free product is insane, and everyone involved should be proud. Great job.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hix said:

@rsanford is too modest to toot his own horn here, so I'll do it. This is over 600 pages of incredibly well-done sci-fi content. Tons of great gear, psionics, vehicles, horrid otherworldly beasts and Forbidden Science. The amount of work that went into this to deliver a free product is insane, and everyone involved should be proud. Great job.

Thank you @hixbut I didn’t write this and don’t know who did!

• Sad 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2021 at 9:17 PM, rsanford said:

Thank you @hixbut I didn’t write this and don’t know who did!

"DISCLAIMER: This is a collaborative and open source fan-made creative exercise and has not been created for profit or commercial
use. The game is intended for entertainment purposes only and is for private use. The texts describing the world of New Horizon are
shameless plagiarisms of the Cthulhu Rising website. All logos, names, pictures and texts are registered trademarks and/or copyrights
of their respective trademark and copyright holders."

New Horizon is a collaborative rpg made by a group of fans. Every body can contribute on Gitlab but I don't know how to proceed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cloporte said:

New Horizon is a collaborative rpg made by a group of fans. Every body can contribute on Gitlab but I don't know how to proceed.

What do you mean ? You don't know how to use git, or you don't know how to become a member of the group ?

You'll need git to contribute to the project, and you'll need to have sufficient credentials to publish things.

If this is the right gitlab project, only maintainers and owners can publish and grant you maintainer and owner privileges https://gitlab.com/NHcthulhu/NewHorizon/-/project_members

I see only 1 maintainer right now.

However, it seems there were more contributors in the past, as gitlab lists 4 of them. https://gitlab.com/NHcthulhu/NewHorizon/-/graphs/master

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, cloporte said:

both 😞

Hmm...

I had to learn git for my work, and did it the hard way, with minimum training. It's a powerful tool, but one that can be very stressful to use.

However, it seems they use it in a very simple way, not like my company does.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

Being a programmer.. this made me chuckle... Git being an essential tool of our trade! ^_^ 

I'm a programmer too, but one that has been working on embedded softwares for 15+ years, always on local networks not connected to internet.

5 years ago, we switched to git, but as I was the only one working on my code, I never had to go past clone, pull, commit and push...

2 years ago, my job changed and I had to learn how to use branches and merges the hard way...

Edited by Mugen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cloporte said:

ok, but concretely, if I want to contribute to NH, how do I do it?

Wish I knew. I don’t even know how to view the maintainer list. I wonder sometimes if they are intentionally avoiding the spotlight? It seems incongruous to me that someone could develop this to its current degree without talking about it on BRP Central.

• Like 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

4 hours ago, cloporte said:

ok, but concretely, if I want to contribute to NH, how do I do it?

The common way distributed version control systems (Git and Mercurial -- I have the latter running locally as I don't work on anything meant to be seen by others) seem to function is that

• You initially clone the desired archive to your machine (this creates a copy with all version meta data to-date).
  • You create a working directory from the clone (this may actually be done as part of the initial cloning -- you end up with a directory of working files and a special versioning subdirectory with the archive)
  • You make your edits/additions/deletions to the contents of the working directory
  • You push/update the changes to the special versioning subdirectory

Now comes the tricky part -- IF you have direct/update privileges to the master repository you can just "push" your changes to that repository, and have to then handle any merge conflicts. MORE LIKELY, you will not have update privileges -- you instead create a clone on the same server machine, push your changes to that clone, and then notifiy the maintainer of the master repository that you'd like them to "pull" the changes from your (on server) modified clone. They then pull the the changes and perform any merge conflict resolution.

If you are using Windows, you might be interested in a graphical interface to Git, rather than using just command line tools... https://tortoisegit.org/

(The Tortoise folks also created interfaces for Mercurial [tortoisehg], older SVN, and maybe a few other version control systems)

Edited by Baron Wulfraed
  • Thanks 2