THE MODERN EQUIPMENT CATALOG - The Tools You Need to Get the Job Done

Trifletraxor

High praise indeed. Thank you. This is BRP not GURPS was a mantra we repeated as we wrote material and then stripped it down to the essential basics. Have to admit it was a new concept for me as I was (probably still am) a firm believer in the "more rules is better rules" camp. Of course, I write material far more then I play these days. Such is life.

I have just downloaded the monograph, and after a quick look at the con-

tent I have realized that I have lost my last excuse for not creating the

modern / Cthulhu Now versions of my settings - the catalog contains all

the stuff needed to "update" the settings' gear, and even more. And the

technical parts are written in a way that even I understand well.

All in all: An excellent job, thank you very much. :thumb:

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• 1 month later...

MEC Volume 2 is now under development. Currently the content stands at

Point and sticky things - knives, bows, crossbows and the like

Less-lethal - OC, shock, impact and flash-bang

Explosives - grenades, C4 and the demo rules to use them

Medical - full range of medical gear and rules

Firearms accessories - sights, lights, lasers, suppressors and bolt ons

More electronic goodies

Any other type of things you would like to see?

Firearms? That is another book or three.

Any other type of things you would like to see?

Underwater survival gear would be nice, stuff like shark repellant, "bangstick" (those with a

shotgun shell that is fired on touching a target), shark cage, but also things like flotation bags

(to transport stuff under water and keep it dry), underwater camera, diver sled, and so on.

While it is comparatively easy to find informations about arctic gear or desert gear, it seems

to be somewhat difficult to find good informations on this kind of stuff in one place.

(Charlie Chan)

While we are at it, what about a shark suit instead of shark cage and

shark repellant, probably the best available solution to the problem:

http://www.neptunic.com/

I doubt it's the best solution. From what I've seen in the past, sharksuits don't work very well. The force that a shark inflicts with a bite can break bones and cause life threatening injury even through the armor-if it doesn't tear.

The repellent is actually the most effective deterrent. The sharks that are mostly likely to attack a man, are capable of getting through a shark cage, if they really want to. The case just takes someone off the "convenience food" list.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I doubt it's the best solution. From what I've seen in the past, sharksuits don't work very well. The force that a shark inflicts with a bite can break bones and cause life threatening injury even through the armor-if it doesn't tear.

The repellent is actually the most effective deterrent. The sharks that are mostly likely to attack a man, are capable of getting through a shark cage, if they really want to. The case just takes someone off the "convenience food" list.

Thank you for that information. :)

It is interesting that there are so very different reports about the shark repellants,

but this could well result from different shark species reacting differently to them, I

think.

As for shark suits and shark cages, I was somewhat absent minded and thinking in

terms of the materials available in my science fiction setting, which are much stron-

ger than a normal shark like creature could handle, but the fact that a bite is able to

cause a lot of damage even if it does not penetrate the suit is a good point - I will put

it on my "How to torture player characters" list. >:->

(Charlie Chan)

Repelleants don't work all the time. If JAWS wants to bite you, it will. Also, I recall something that only one repllent was really effective and the others less so, but they are still around since the companies that market those other repllents still want to make money.

In a SF setting, yeah, thing could be different. Even a Great White can't bite through Iron Man's armor.

Might have to stuff a shark repellent in and include a note for the game master to decide how effective, if at all, it is. Think the only people wh wear shark suits are people looking to get in close with sharks and no PC should want that. Still might be worth including, because some game master somewhere is itchin for it.

Think the only people wh wear shark suits are people looking to get in close with sharks and no PC should want that.

I have a tendency to send the PCs to places they definitely do not want to go,

and there usually are some nasty creatures nearby ... ;)

(Charlie Chan)

Yes, but the PC's don't want to go there. The protection offered by a sharksuit has to be weighed against the loss of fine manipulation ability and the time needed to don and remove. I would not want to be wearing one while trying to place a limpet mine or conduct beach reconnaissance, much less over the beach operations.

True, but I was thinking more about something like finding out why the remotely

controlled robots of a seafloor mine do no longer react to any commands, or what

happened to that aquafarmer who went to visit his kelp fields and never returned

home. :)

(Charlie Chan)

Yes, but the PC's don't want to go there. The protection offered by a sharksuit has to be weighed against the loss of fine manipulation ability and the time needed to don and remove. I would not want to be wearing one while trying to place a limpet mine or conduct beach reconnaissance, much less over the beach operations.

HEY! Have you been reading my Bond adventures behind my back!?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The good folks at Chaosium are the only ones who can answer that. All I can tell you is that we are trying to scrape together time to work on Volume 2. Lots of good stuff we want to include, but schedules have been hard on both of us and getting the manuscript to Chaosium by the end of the year is looking unlikely.

• 5 months later...

For each of the items the book usually contains a picture, a short description,

the game stats including the price, and where necessary usually also short ru-

les for the item's use - in short, all one needs to use the equipment in a game.

(Charlie Chan)

• 2 months later...

I am going to be interested in seeing the two modern supplements,but that is for next months purchases.

Opps the good old mastercard...

I am trying to figuire out where they picked up some of the data?

The T-10 and MC-1 chutes are not as bad as depicted. Where is the Drager LR V rebreather?

Edited by Bleddyn

In might a man, a youth in years, Of boisterous valour, Swift long-maned steeds under the thigh of a handsome youth ...Quicker to a field of blood, than to a wedding quicker to the ravens' feast

- Y Gododdin

"The soldier knows little of philosophers but in him and in his deeds life expresses itself more profoundly than any book can"

- Ernst Junger

E3b1a2 V13 V36

• 4 months later...