What is the scale for this lovely map?

image.png.c0b0bb5cd48303f92438511ff405eb2f.pngAs per the title of this topic, what is the scale for this lovely map located full page on 105 of RQG’s core book. Now, I know somewhere on this cornucopia of all Gloranthan Goodness there exists a solution to this puzzle. Hell, it my be under my aged nose and sitting on the very next page in a legend... nope....and my search fu has failed me. How does that spell go, ah, got it. "Help me Obi Wan"... what wrong spell, ah hell! 

So, is there an easy answer and what might it be?

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

My guess is about 12.25 km per cm.  Derived from the 35km distance from Highwater Falls to Dwarf Ford as shown in the 1979 Snakepipe Hollow.  Since you showed that portion of the map in your post.

I’m guessing that someone will use the Argan Argar Atlas to refine that.

Edited by GMKen
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

It looks dragonscale to me. However, that's pretty unlikely, so I'll suggest Dragonewt scale instead.

As long as it isn't the musicians union’s scale, that's always a little flat.

31 minutes ago, GMKen said:

I’m guessing that someone will use the Argan Argar Atlas to refine that.

I am just surprised it is not with the map.

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

18 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I am just surprised it is not with the map.

Well, you know, kids these days...  They reject your patriarchal need to impose limits and measurements on everything, because the world is more than that, man...  It’s about peace, and love, and redefining boundaries for a fuller expression of the self.  Man this is good hazia.  So you see, wait, where was I?  Oh yeah,

It’s the Lunars’ fault.  They don’t want you to know how far it is to freedom from their rule.

• Like 3

well by my magical skill I will answer :

image.png.361e5b7b64fea1e586d39ceec7c74dda.png

that is the scale of cha4029_dragon_pass_map.pdf

then I used my paint.net tool and see that the height of the shadow plateau in the sartar map is ~315 pixels when in dragon pass map the height is ~155 pixels

I may conclude that the sartar map scale is the dragon pass scale x 2

or about

but it depends on the snow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@French Desperate WindChild is right - the map scale appears on page 136 of RQG Core Rules and in the PDF of that map that's included in the GM Screen Pack.

• Thanks 1

Looking at the big fold-out map from the ScreenPak, and the map on the inside cover, it appears that Snakepipe Hollow has grown to 50 km in length, putting the scale in the GM book at just under 20 km per cm, and the big fold-out map at just under 10 km per cm.  Since my brain won’t let me assume that the map on page 105 is to the same scale as on the inside cover, I double checked with a ruler.  On page 105 I get a measure of about 17.5 km per cm, so the map is slightly enlarged from the one on the inside cover.

On page 136 of the GM Book, which I assume to be the Core Rulebook that Monsieur Brooke mentions, I see a picture of a rampaging hoard of woaded-up guys looking to inflict some hurt on a bunch of guys in red, who probably deserve what’s coming to them.  Pp. 134-135 has the big map, though, and it looks to be right about the same size as the one on the inside cover.

So I want to revise my guess to 17.5 km/cm.

Edited by GMKen
  • Thanks 1