What happened to Tradetalk magazine ?

Agentorange

What it says really, back in the day it was published quite regularly the Chaos society also had other publications: Shadows of Pavis etc etc.....and then it all just stopped.

I've had a quick look around online but haven't found an explanation, but figured someone here was bound to know......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Agentorange said:

What it says really, back in the day it was published quite regularly the Chaos society also had other publications: Shadows of Pavis etc etc.....and then it all just stopped.

I've had a quick look around online but haven't found an explanation, but figured someone here was bound to know......

Andre can provide a more complete answer, but it basically ran out of steam. The team was shrinking, and it was harder and harder to put the magazine together, get it printed, etc.

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

8 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

Andre can provide a more complete answer, but it basically ran out of steam. The team was shrinking, and it was harder and harder to put the magazine together, get it printed, etc.

Ah, thanks for that,  I did wonder if it was something like that. A shame really they produced some fine stuff in their time . I still read my copies of Tradetalk to this day when the mood takes me.

15 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

It was bound to happen. Its hard to maintain the quality and the quantity of the material. I think the Jonstown Compendium, although not a fanzine, is good at carrying on the legacy as it gives a change for authors to contribute at their own space and it taps into a much larger percentage pool of of the Gloranthan pool mind. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2021 at 7:27 PM, Agentorange said:

We (the german RQ fan club, the RuneQuest-Gesellschaft e.V. aka The Chaos Society) started to publish in english language in 1996 with Tradetalk 1, and published two issues almost every year. 

2005 was the year in which all fan publications were asked to stop, until a new fan policy was published. So Tradetalk 14 in may 2014 was the last one published before that. 

Tradetalk got the okay from Issaries Inc./Greg without any problems, and we continued with Tradetalk 15 in 2007, but we only managed to publish one issue per year. 

In 2009 our last issue was Tradetalk 17. 

Why we stopped publishing Tradetalk?

Many reasons: 
- We, the publishers, were almost never the authors of the articles and adventures, but relied on fan authors to send us material to publish, or sometimes we asked our buddies if they would write something for us. 
- We at Tradetalk were not really interested in writing Second Age fan stuff for Mongoose RQ
- Some of the old RQ fans haven´t made the transition to HeroQuest... and wouldn´t/couldn´t write for Tradetalk anymore. 
- Since HeroQuest is less crunchy, we needed MORE text to fill an issue with content (a RQ adventure with three NPCs and four Broo was made up of 3 to 4 pages of stats!.. in HeroQuest these many stats were not needed, so we needed more content to get Tradetalk to the size we needed to fill the 48 pages). 
- We wanted to make theme issues, and not only a complation of various articles... That is why it took so long (to long) to get the next issue ready. 
- Many other fanzines were around (Hearts in Glorantha, The Zin Letters, and Rule One) in which potential Tradetalk authors could publish they stuff
- Some of the fans moved on to write for Issaries/Moon Designs official line of HeroQuest books, and had no time for writing for Tradetalk 
- Some of the stuff we asked to publish took to long to get published, and the authors changed their minds (because they were assocciated with official publishers, and don´t wanted to get their "fan stuff" published, because it could be viewed as canon if the author was part of the official publishing house*).
*NOTE: The author(s) never said it so explicitly, but i read that between the lines... maybe i am wrong about this.

Maybe, at some point, we will publish something on the JC and call it Tradetalk 18... but it will not be like the Tradetalk 18 that was planned in 2009. 

Edited by AndreJarosch
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

19 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

Maybe, at some point, we will publish something on the JC and call it Tradetalk 18... but it will not be like the Tradetalk 18 that was planned in 2009. 

Hurray!

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here