Rune Identification

AlHazred

I know we're back to the abbreviated rune list, but there's one rune question I don't think I ever heard the answer to. In Storm Tribe (2004), Engizi was given a serpentine rune everywhere except his woodcut. You can still see it on the "Runes (2004)" page. They corrected that pretty quickly on the website; it was supposed to be a jagged, almost-water-arrow which you can see on Engizi's page. But what was that original serpentine rune for? Was that rune for one of the dragons?

Edited by AlHazred
  • Thanks 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

The "head" on that Rune might actually be Skyfall Lake, with the "body" being the river itself. Sort of like how Oslira is also depicted as a serpent or even a dragon; deities of Water are the ones most often compared to/conflated with dragons, funny enough.

• Like 2

The snake rune is the Lorion rune , the river arrow is the Engizi rune (look at the file names).

It's important to realise that these runes represent the gods in different situations or at different times.

Rune-Lorion-600px.png.bb27348ad28d1a4a96563fc0c11f6687.png Lorion. As Lorion's origin is from the Styx, I don't think it's part of Yelm's fertility.

877991572_Screenshot2021-07-27at09_45_54.png.5f1102d405985069ca9ead880b6b9b9e.png Berneel & Arashagern from Greg's notes that are early / lost iconography.461203756_Screenshot2021-07-27at09_52_40.png.89c3d4f78e97a678983eed8eec42c5b5.pngfrom the genealogy of Yelm.

These are from an Orlanthi perspective:592127685_Screenshot2021-07-27at10_36_49.png.e2a07a080ec214421ae07fce85d92983.png2010285331_Screenshot2021-07-27at10_37_29.png.4896a38defd2c43c983b7ffd7f7f646c.png

As you can see, not all wiggly runes are the same.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

That's fantastic! And I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't think to check the filename...

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

On 7/27/2021 at 5:42 AM, David Scott said:

877991572_Screenshot2021-07-27at09_45_54.png.5f1102d405985069ca9ead880b6b9b9e.png Berneel & Arashagern from Greg's notes that are early / lost iconography.461203756_Screenshot2021-07-27at09_52_40.png.89c3d4f78e97a678983eed8eec42c5b5.pngfrom the genealogy of Yelm.

This may be my favorite thing as the month winds down. Every bit of it. Especially the "-eel" and the dragon motif (the paired runes are familiar in terrestrial astrology) and the notion that a yelm that can be built up out of obscure portions as well as distintegrated.

Also I think Engizi will one day be revealed as a very, very strange river.

singer sing me a given

21 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Did they have their hands in the rise of the Boat Planet too?

Love it. "I thought I drowned my sorrows but [my sorrows] learned to swim."

We might be close to figuring out the celestial-but-not-"solar" ideology that competes with the Assiday orthodoxy in the post-1625 heartlands. I wonder about the greenness of Hon-Eel's dragon as well.

Edited by scott-martin
zinger
  • Like 2

singer sing me a given

What would be their incentive to return the planet of Anaxial? Is that part of their preparations to put Phargentes the Younger through the Ten Tests?

If so, would said worthy have been participating in the Boat Quest? At age 14, with that mother, he may very well have been ready for the challenge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

What would be their incentive to return the planet of Anaxial?

Preparing the path for the White Moon's journey?

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

If so, would said worthy have been participating in the Boat Quest? At age 14, with that mother, he may very well have been ready for the challenge.

Yes, would be cool/make sense to have Phargentes on the Boat Quest.  Maybe he needs to talk to the Sky Dragon or maybe the celestial (and underworld) journey does prepare him for specific myths.

• Thanks 1