Merrie England Supplementary

soltakss

I'm thinking of working on a supplement to Merrie England.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions about what they would like to see in the supplement?

Currently, I am planning to add descriptions of Heaven/Hell/Purgatory (it is a Medieval setting, after all), scenarios, descriptions of the major heresies of the time, campaign ideas, potted descriptions of some areas outside England, sketch descriptions of the Crusades and, hopefully, an in-depth description of the Albigensian Crusade and, perhaps, the Third Crusade.

Is there anything in the current Merrie England: Age of Eleanor that people think needs amending or expanding on? Anything they don't like about Merrie England: Age of Eleanor?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

an in-depth description of the Albigensian Crusade

If you need help on that, let me know. After all, I've written a small historical role-game set at the time of the Albigensian crusade: http://tdt.da.ru/

I'm thinking of working on a supplement to Merrie England.

Currently, I am planning to add descriptions of Heaven/Hell/Purgatory

How about something that nobody expects.

Maybe with a religious focus.

From overseas... maybe Spanish.

Inquiring minds want to know. ;D

Edited by dragonewt

There are two things you should know about them:

1. They were included in Merrie England: Age of Eleanor

2. They a a bit late for the time period

3. They will be included in the Albigensian Crusade

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

If you need help on that, let me know. After all, I've written a small historical role-game set at the time of the Albigensian crusade: http://tdt.da.ru/

Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this site. There are some links to a missing geocities site, so perhaps you haven't pulled everything across.

What language is the site in? It doesn't look like Spanish or Italian, is it in Occitan?

Some of the external links are to Occitan sites. I can read French and Spanish sites, just about, but Occitan is beyond me, unfortunately. Do you know of any Occitan-English translation sites? Babelfish's Babylon doesn't seem to be of any help.

I'll send you an email about the Albigensian Crusade.

Thanks for the link, I didn't know about this site. There are some links to a missing geocities site, so perhaps you haven't pulled everything across.

Everything should be available on this new site: http://gianni.vacca.perso.sfr.fr/guilhemix/tdt/index.html

What language is the site in? It doesn't look like Spanish or Italian, is it in Occitan?

Yes, it is.

Some of the external links are to Occitan sites. I can read French and Spanish sites, just about, but Occitan is beyond me, unfortunately. Do you know of any Occitan-English translation sites?

I don't think anything like that exists... I guess it's too small a market!

Thanks for the new link - everything seems to show up now.

I found an Occitan-Catalan and Catalan-English online translator http://traductor.gencat.cat/ which produces slightly garbled translations, as they all do.

De qué vira? Lo mieu jòc de ròtle, sonat Lo Temps dels Trobadors, vos permetrà de jogar un personatge dins l'Occitània del sègle XIIIen, a l'epòca de la Crosada francimanda. Trobadors, soldats o pageses, los personatges se baton per la lor vida e per l'independéncia del lor país.

Translates into Catalan and then into English as:

Of what goes round? My role play, famous The Time|Weather of the Troubadours, it will allow you to play a character in the Occitània of the century XIII, to the period of the francimanda Crusade. Troubadours, soldiers or farmers, the characters beat themselves for the its|his|her|their life and for|because of|from|out of the independence of the its|his|her|their country.

Which is spot on, or thereabouts.

It's a shame you don't have the scenarios/campaigns on line as I'd have liked to see them (plunder them for ideas :) ).

It's a shame you don't have the scenarios/campaigns on line as I'd have liked to see them (plunder them for ideas :) ).

As always... My scenarios are usually outlines, from which I adlib. It's a painful exercise to render them into nice publishable scenarios (which I am trying to do now for Tiān Xià).

Well Simon, we've spoken about both of my suggestions before, but I'll throw them out again for the amusement of all:

Lords of the Isles! - We've got the Jarls of Orkney, Somerled, Gall-Gaels, pirate-Bishops, Danes, Norsemen, Scots, Saxons, Normans, Irish, all going at it! Details of Strathclyde, Man and the Isles. You know it'd be great...

then we can talk about heresy but the time isn't yet right for that.

Well Simon, we've spoken about both of my suggestions before, but I'll throw them out again for the amusement of all:

Lords of the Isles! - We've got the Jarls of Orkney, Somerled, Gall-Gaels, pirate-Bishops, Danes, Norsemen, Scots, Saxons, Normans, Irish, all going at it! Details of Strathclyde, Man and the Isles. You know it'd be great...

Ok, they will be in, perhaps in sketch form rather than a detailed campaign, but I'll even include your raping, looting, baby-eating, castrated-blinded, pirate Bishop of the Isles (although he's a bit early he's too good to leave out)

then we can talk about heresy but the time isn't yet right for that.

I'll send you my notes once I've written them.