BRP Adventure Contest -- 2010

cjbowser

Hmmm. I would have preferred a genre specific competition. I felt the previous two were maybe too wide ranging.

When they say that all entries 'become the property of Chaosium', does that mean they they get the copyright over concepts/names/creatures etc that you introduce - or does the author retain those? For monographs, the author retains the copyright.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Hmmm. I would have preferred a genre specific competition. I felt the previous two were maybe too wide ranging.

When they say that all entries 'become the property of Chaosium', does that mean they they get the copyright over concepts/names/creatures etc that you introduce - or does the author retain those? For monographs, the author retains the copyright.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up.

In the past, the author has retained all copyright. Chaosium, however, will hold the copyright to the work as a whole.

Well, there's also a Cthulhu Invictus Adventure contest running at the same time, which is quite specific, and it's pretty clear there will also be the annual halloween adventure contest for Call of Cthulhu

When they say that all entries 'become the property of Chaosium', does that mean they they get the copyright over concepts/names/creatures etc that you introduce - or does the author retain those?

Best to seek clarification direct from Dustin I think.

Nick

Actually, I just had a thought - is it worth encouraging submissions for a particular genre, or even previous monograph? We have no actual control of course, but purely as a bit of fun and way of inspiring people, we could have a couple of polls: a "which genre would you most like to see adventures for?" and perhaps a "which BRP monograph would you like to see an adventure for?". Run them for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Just a thought.

Nick

Although that is a good idea to do, I would be best at creating a adventure for either a Fantasy or Space type setting. Now which I choose might depend on what folks have to say, but I wouldn't be able to wait around for people to make up their minds what they really like to see either. Thus we'd have to get cracking at the polls asap!

Penn

Old time RPGer of +34 yrs, player/DM/GM.

Actually, I just had a thought - is it worth encouraging submissions for a particular genre, or even previous monograph? We have no actual control of course, but purely as a bit of fun and way of inspiring people, we could have a couple of polls: a "which genre would you most like to see adventures for?" and perhaps a "which BRP monograph would you like to see an adventure for?". Run them for a couple of weeks and see what happens?

Just a thought.

Nick

Put up a poll and we'll see what happens. :D

Everybody loves a poll!

I have my heart set on doing a Classic Fantasy adventure this year, but if the community settled on pushing for something else, I would try to go along.

Oh, don't mind us - there's nothing worse than struggling to do something your hearts not in. If you want to do a Classic Fantasy adventure, go for it! The polls are purely a bit of fun - and Fantasy is the top genre by some margin anyway :D

Nick

...and Fantasy is the top genre by some margin anyway...
Yeah, that's not too surprising. What we really need is a poll that allows multiple choices -- it's not-first choices that will most likely tell us something. But I'm guessing the standard polls only allow one choice.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

What we really need is a poll that allows multiple choices -- it's not-first choices that will most likely tell us something.

Well, not sure internet forum polls tell us anything that reliable... ;)

The only options were "pick all you want" or "pick one", so I opted for "most preferred genre" and "monograph you most want an adventure for", as the alternative seemed even less informative. Shame I couldn't say "pick n" where n would be a sensible limited value (say 3 or 4)...

Cheers,

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

In the past, the author has retained all copyright. Chaosium, however, will hold the copyright to the work as a whole.

FYI I just got a clarification back from Dustin on this:

Chaosium will own the entry if it's chosen as a winner. If you are concerned about the particular characters/names/creature copyrights of something you have already written then don't submit them to us. We'd be happy to receive a submission from you which doesn't include characters etc you wish to copyright!

Just thought I'd give you all the heads-up.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb