When is it too late for a Humakti to D.I. to avoid death in combat?

Rodney Dangerduck

2 hours ago, JRE said:

but I would argue killing the unarmed foes would be a disorderly action, and could have consequences.

I would argue it's a dishonorable act, and they'd lose % in their Honour passion, making it difficult to attain the rank of Sword ... Even if that enemy is Chaotic (presuming that said chaos doesn't have other combat options).

I think a question should be asked.... How low can.a Humakti's Honour go down to before they get excommunicated?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

How low can.a Humakti's Honour go down to before they get excommunicated?

Very good question!  A Humakti Sword or Initiate with low Honor could be fun roleplaying.

"You just shot an unarmed man!"

"Well, he should have armed himself"

Once you are a Sword, there is no strict requirement to maintain your Honor at 90%.  Likewise, a Wind Lord need not maintain Devotion Orlanth at 90%.  Obviously, if it gets very low there could be issues.

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck

18 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Very good question!  A Humakti Sword or Initiate with low Honor could be fun roleplaying.

"You just shot an unarmed man!"

"Well, he should have armed himself"

Once you are a Sword, there is no strict requirement to maintain your Honor at 90%.  Likewise, a Wind Lord need not maintain Devotion Orlanth at 90%.  Obviously, if it gets very low there could be issues.

Seriously, a sorcerer about to cast a spell is hardly armed in a way recognizable to a fighter, but still counts as a valid target for violence. So does a Morokanth able to do flying kicks that will dent your body as badly as a troll maul. Or a wrestler able and ready to do a full nelson on you or a friend of yours.

There is always Onslaught, the over the top Humakt character created by Martin Laurie, a death-crazed killer without much use for truth except in the term "true death".

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 1 month later...

A blow of x3 LHP to the head would maybe prevent DI.

Maybe? Well, a piercing weapon or crushing weapon implies suddent massive penetrating damage to the brain, so nothing left to DI with.

A cutting weapon could well just remove the head, and it's well known that a decapitated head is concious for a few seconds. So, maybe a roll to determine what kind of cut.

Any other killing blow allows time to DI.

As to whether it is appropriate to ask OR whether Humakt would intervene to save the life of someone who has just been decapitated...

Humakt followers do not want death. They are not afraid of death. Two different things. So they can ask, IMG.

And I would say that Humakt is allowed to say "not today".

Pragmatically, no Resurrection is already a big minus, not allowing life-saving DI is a bit too much.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

A blow of x3 LHP to the head would maybe prevent DI.

Maybe? Well, a piercing weapon or crushing weapon implies suddent massive penetrating damage to the brain, so nothing left to DI with.

A cutting weapon could well just remove the head, and it's well known that a decapitated head is concious for a few seconds. So, maybe a roll to determine what kind of cut.

Any other killing blow allows time to DI.

As to whether it is appropriate to ask OR whether Humakt would intervene to save the life of someone who has just been decapitated...

Humakt followers do not want death. They are not afraid of death. Two different things. So they can ask, IMG.

And I would say that Humakt is allowed to say "not today".

Pragmatically, no Resurrection is already a big minus, not allowing life-saving DI is a bit too much.

Actually, I think your ideas are a touch to mechanistic real world for me.

I think the question should be - when does the connection between the spirit and the body separate completely?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Monty Lovering said:

Your brain has nothing to do with DI. Maybe if your pineal gland is destroyed, but RQ doesn't go into sub-location hits.

I'd say the answer to this is "any time before bookkeeping".

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I think the question should be - when does the connection between the spirit and the body separate completely?

Well  for me brain death. Yes that’s mechanistic. I like that. YGMV which is fine. 

13 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

As I say above, brain death.  It’s mechanistic but it gives you a clear cut answer to some questions, and allows PCs to have a way of taking down extremely powerful Rune Masters. 

If it’s mechanistic for a head shot to defeat DI, it’s mechanistic for hitting a skeleton's head to ‘destroy the programming’, or to knock a vampire down.