Being a Rune Master and initiate of different cults

Runesword

An initiate in 2 cults gives 10% of their time/money to each of the 2 cults (RQG pg 275).

However, for a Rune Priest/God Talker there appears to be a 90% time and financial commitment to the Rune Priest cult and 50% of the remaining 10% time to the God Talker cult (RQG pg 278). There is no mention of an additional time commitment to the God Talker cult. Is there one?

And how do the time and money commitments of being a Rune Master of one cult and initiate of another (friendly or associated) cult work?

19 minutes ago, Runesword said:

An initiate in 2 cults gives 10% of their time/money to each of the 2 cults (RQG pg 275).

However, for a Rune Priest/God Talker there appears to be a 90% time and financial commitment to the Rune Priest cult and 50% of the remaining 10% time to the God Talker cult (RQG pg 278).

To clarify:

Initiate: 10% temple business, 10% income

Godtalker: 10% temple business, 50% income. If a priest in another cult 50% of the remainder

Priest: 90% temple business, 90% income

There is no mention of an additional time commitment to the God Talker cult. Is there one?

they spend 10% on temple business (page 278)

And how do the time and money commitments of being a Rune Master of one cult and initiate of another (friendly or associated) cult work?

Temple time: priest 90% + initiate 10% temple time.

Income priest 90% + initiate 10% = 100%. They are a few cults in which this works. This will likely leave you with no income to pay your standard of living in sacred time.

See also Can a character be a priest of two Rune Cults? in the Q&A. Sora Goodseller can only manage it as she's a merchant.

4 hours ago, Scotty said:

Income priest 90% + initiate 10% = 100%. They are a few cults in which this works. This will likely leave you with no income to pay your standard of living in sacred time.

as a priest dedicates 90% of his time to his temple, the standard of living should be covered by the temple -if the temple has enough ressources-, doesn't it ? yes a priest will not be able to keep money at all, but at least he should be able to have "noble" goods, gears and food (don't forget wine !)

Or am I wrong ?

However... As a priest, particularly in the outback, "temple time" is largely whatever you decide it is (as long as there's no negative impact on the rites, etc). Same with the tithing - there's quite a bit of leeway with how it gets spent, and as long as there's no great signs of obvious abuse if the temple funds (e.g., a little wine is ok, but getting hammered daily in the alcoves with your mates isn't)

η - the fairly obvious excuse/cop out for most PCs would be the "maintaining the shrines" and "service the rural folk"... Or even "Go on a  pilgrimage". 

Edited by Shiningbrow

On 2/21/2022 at 4:37 PM, Scotty said:

To clarify:

Initiate: 10% temple business, 10% income

Godtalker: 10% temple business, 50% income. If a priest in another cult 50% of the remainder

Priest: 90% temple business, 90% income

they spend 10% on temple business (page 278)

Temple time: priest 90% + initiate 10% temple time.

See also Can a character be a priest of two Rune Cults? in the Q&A. Sora Goodseller can only manage it as she's a merchant.

Thank you for this clarification. 

19 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

as a priest dedicates 90% of his time to his temple, the standard of living should be covered by the temple -if the temple has enough resources-, doesn't it ? yes a priest will not be able to keep money at all, but at least he should be able to have "noble" goods, gears and food (don't forget wine !)

Or am I wrong ?

I think you're right.  Also, RQG pg 423 that says “nobles/priests do not have to tithe income from lands granted to them by their temple” so that would give them additional non-tithed income. I would presume that they must still tithe their non-land income? How would maintaining a retinue count? I would guess that some (within reason) could count as suitable temple expenditure, such as bodyguards, servants and a scribe? Although non-temple gifting may prove challenging.

Scotty's response covers Rune Priests. What about Rune Lords? “Nameless” in the GM’s Screen Pack is a Humakt Rune Lord and an initiate of Orlanth, so it can clearly be made to work.

I assume that they have more freedom (within the bounds of their cult) with respect to their time (as per RQG pg 281) so the 100% of time issue won’t arise.

Financially, RQG p 280 states that they are given the finest possible gear, mounts, accommodation etc, so maintaining a suitable life style should be possible. I assume that they would probably be made up to the noble/priest class wrt income as per RQG pg 423 above.  Also the points above about 100% tithe of non-land income and the ability to maintain a suitable retinue would be equally applicable.

As an aside, I'm guessing the rule on tithing not applying to Chief or High Priests or their equivalents is the reason:

a) city/tribe/city leadership tends to come from the clan/tribe/city cult

b) enables said leaders to pay their retinue and spread largesse to their retinue, wider clan etc and to guests, non-tribe adventurers etc.

PS Sorry for the long post - only allowed 1 message/day at the moment, so I need to cram all my thoughts in one go!