Gaseous Form Vampires

Erol of Backford

Curious if Orlanthi wind spells would overpower a vampire's ability to move in gaseous form?

Is a vampire in gaseous form able to be hit with magical on rune metals similar to an air elemental being attacked by cutting through the air? maybe I'm not understanding how that works either, I suppose it'd be like attacking a wraith?

More so would an air elemental not be able to "bag" a vampire in gaseous form? How would the vampire attack the sylph besides possibly spells?

Thoughts and thank you.

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious if Orlanthi wind spells would overpower a vampire's ability to move in gaseous form?

Yes.

I think that RQ2 said that a sylph (Air Elemental) could disrupt a vampire's mist form so that it could not manifest for a day, or something.

Presumably, summoning up a wind could do the same, as could a new spell of Banish/Dispel Mist.

Is a vampire in gaseous form able to be hit with magical on rune metals similar to an air elemental being attacked by cutting through the air? maybe I'm not understanding how that works either, I suppose it'd be like attacking a wraith?

I normally play that they can't.

Spells such as Madness or Fear should be able to target the mist, though.

Haghlgrim's Sword, Ironbreaker, can cut a Vampire down in Mist Form, which seems to be a special ability, so maybe it could be a Humakti Gift.

More so would an air elemental not be able to "bag" a vampire in gaseous form?

Probably not, but a Kolat Shaman might be able to capture it in a Bag of Winds.

How would the vampire attack the sylph besides possibly spells?

It couldn't, without manifesting.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Along the same lines, how does it work if a group of PC's target a gaseous form vampire with disruption spells or could they not?

If the vampire has no power are they immune to spirit magic or do the PC's simply need to overcome any magic points the vampire has drained from victims?

What if by chance the vampire has no magic points when the PC's find them? Would all non failing spirit magic overcome there magic point total of zero?

12 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Along the same lines, how does it work if a group of PC's target a gaseous form vampire with disruption spells or could they not?

If the vampire has no power are they immune to spirit magic or do the PC's simply need to overcome any magic points the vampire has drained from victims?

What if by chance the vampire has no magic points when the PC's find them? Would all non failing spirit magic overcome there magic point total of zero?

For me,  the answer is yes on all 3 points.

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2022 at 10:12 PM, Erol of Backford said:

I think they can, at least that is how we played it.

Just use the Vampire's Magic Points for defending.

Zero Magic Points means the Vampire is unconscious, or zapped to nothingness. Either way it falls out of mist form.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

• 1 month later...

Curious, would an Undine be considered running water? Could you somehow command an Undine to flow through/around/under a vampire and kill it?

No vampire may cross running water except by bridge, boat,
on the back of another, etc. Immersion in running water kills the
vampire. Vampires may cross, or live in swamps and marshes
with impunity. Waha left the taint of the Devil in the marshes of
the Good River, and that taint allows the vampires access to all
such areas.

5 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Curious, would an Undine be considered running water? Could you somehow command an Undine to flow through/around/under a vampire and kill it?

Maybe, but an undine is more like a bag of water, so the water itself is static even though the undine is moving.

• Thanks 1

Running Water is a matter of definition.

The mythical explanation for this vampiric weakness is the relationship between any river and the Underworld river Styx whose waters are lethal to these undead.

Artificial rivers like the Good Canal or Belintar's New River have the same mythical resonance. For an undine pushing a ditch of water in a circle to achieve this might be a stretch, but a friendly Naiad in undine form should be able to provide running water of sufficient quality. Such a water entity would still be within attack range for the Vampire, though.

Using a single undine to dissolve a vampire should be impossible. Rain doesn't hurt vampires, which means that dropping an undine on a vampire does not qualify as running water.

Does armor protect a vampire forced into running water, or does the water eat away at the vampire's aura which may extend further than the armor? Arms length distance or having a boat's planks or skins between the vampire and the current is established as sufficient shielding.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis