When Your Shadowcat Sings....

svensson

16 minutes ago, svensson said:

I'm convinced that this is how 90% of US Top 40 music gets made...

Gadzooks svennson you old goat! Did you forget the meds again! As someone who has skin in the game (I am not only a musician, I make my living off of musicians), I should tell ya something I have to keep telling myself when I see something that the kids have made that I do not like...

"Hey Bill, it's their world, you had your turn... You have been relegated to the dust bin of history, so shut tha' fuck up or you will end up sounding like your dad did when he first heard your Alice Cooper LPs."

Bill to himself

Taste is relative. And the kids do not want you liking or for that matter, even listening to their music... they are making it offensive to you on purpose... Same as we did when we were young!

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

55 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Gadzooks svennson you old goat! Did you forget the meds again! As someone who has skin in the game (I am not only a musician, I make my living off of musicians), I should tell ya something I have to keep telling myself when I see something that the kids have made that I do not like...

Taste is relative. And the kids do not want you liking or for that matter, even listening to their music... they are making it offensive to you on purpose... Same as we did when we were young!

First off, yeah, I got shit for my Alice Cooper and Killing Joke records too.

Second off, I deeply appreciate talent and musicianship, even if I don't necessarily like the style of music or the artist themselves. It's the AUTOTUNE that object to! So much 'processing' goes into so-called 'singers' and so-called 'bands' nowadays that the little SOBs can't do a concert by themselves. How many groups have you heard in the last 20 years whose Top 40 hit was so autotuned that they have to lip sync their own work because they don't know how to harmonize with each other?

For example, I loathe boy bands as a genre but the Backstreet Boys have my [reluctant] respect because I heard them a cappella six of their songs without missing a beat or a lyric.

Skill is skill, period.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, svensson said:

. It's the AUTOTUNE that object to!

Myself and a few techs, were gathered together talking about instruments we hated during a lull in setting up a band. Autotune was my contribution to the discussion. I am with ya on that one. I blame Cher!

9 minutes ago, svensson said:

For example, I loathe boy bands as a genre but the Backstreet Boys have my [reluctant] respect because I heard them a cappella six of their songs without missing a beat or a lyric.

Yes, same here. There are many folk out there I do not like but one has to give kudos to talent, regardless. 

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

In the off chance y'all haven't yet met "Pentatonix" ...
A cappella group.  Stunning technical craftsmanship, artistic rendition with heart & soul.

Do yourself a BIG favor, and listen via something with really good bass.
Crappy 'pods & built-in speakers are gonna crap out.

• Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRP8d7hhpoQ -- Shortly before he died, Cohen heard this and said it was his favorite rendition.
  • Medley "Daft Punk" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MteSlpxCpo -- Made in a closet, production-costs about $400.  Won a Grammy.
  • Tchaikovsky's "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt3oAyK_IG8 -- "Music scored without a choral part, sung by voices without words."  AKA "My dudes, you're a cappella! You cannot sing that, it has no wordsPentatonix:  ??!? ... Hold our beers!"  (Another Grammy)
  • (if I gotta name the artist, I also gotta come slap you upside the head) "Bohemian Rhapsody" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojRj2JK5oCI -- Already fabulous, when they get to May's guitar solo, it becomes epic.  "Freddy Mercury rose from the grave... because he needed to give a standing ovation." 

They've got a LOT more, of course!  But that'll give you an overview.
Original pieces (not covers).  Church music.  Country music.  Collab's with other artists.  Etc.

Edited by g33k
also -- if you think they're relying on mostly studio tricks & post... look at their live shows!

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 hours ago, g33k said:

(if I gotta name the artist, I also gotta come slap you upside the head) "Bohemian Rhapsody" -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojRj2JK5oCI -- Already fabulous, when they get to May's guitar solo, it becomes epic.  "Freddy Mercury rose from the grave... because he needed to give a standing ovation." 

Well, that was absolutely fantastic.

52 minutes ago, Joerg said:

This needs a NSFW alert, or at least a Not Safe With Cats alert. Both sound samples irritated my office feline a lot...

Our work here is done ...

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here