Alan LaVergne

TheShadow

I really enjoyed his SoloQuest materials, and once used SoloQuest 3: The Snow King's Bride as the basis of a very successful multi-session RQ3 Vikings mini-campaign.

• Like 3

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

As I look over Alan's product listing on RPGGeek, I realize he was all over that Vikings campaign.

It started with me reading QuestWorld and realizing they had the "Souse" (because their Viking-analogues came from the South) and that it would be interesting to fit a historically-flavored-without-being-tied-to-actual-history campaign there. My original first session was the sample one from the Vikings book -- while everybody's at the longhouse, somebody comes running in to tell them "there's a dragon nearby, it attacked Rorik's Stead!" They go there and fight the thing (I actually used a hrimthur (frost) giant instead of a dragon).

Then they wanted me to run something else. I dusted off Snow King's Bride and turned it into a two-session arc to bring the girl to her far-off betrothed's stead. After that, the PCs were well-defined enough that I ran mostly homebrew scenarios (the only one I remember was where the party went to Ran's domain at the bottom of the sea to ask for her aid in the village's fishing), and I think I stole his "Phoney Stones" scenario from SoloQuest and changed the god from Issaries to Njörðr. It was wild. I always meant to adapt his SoloQuest 2: Scorpion Hall for group play as well, but the opportunity never presented itself.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

ROLAND VOLZ

Running: nothing | Playing: Battletech Hero, CoC 7th Edition, Blades in the Dark | Planning: D&D 5E Home Game, Operation: Sprechenhaltestelle, HeroQuest 1E Sartarite Campaign

D&D is an elf from Tolkien, a barbarian from Howard, and a mage from Vance fighting monsters from Lovecraft in a room that looks like it might have been designed by Wells and Giger. - TiaNadiezja

He's still around. You can find him on the board of the San Francisco Gesneriad Society, one of his more recent publications being a webinar: Joy of Sinningias.

He also had a short story, The Smell of a Rat in the RuneQuest Companion. There was a follow up Zero story, Things That Love Night  in Tales of the Reaching Moon issues 12, 13 & 14.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Well if someone gets a email address for Alan I would like to have it so I can drop him a line for inspiring me to write DuckPac Book 3 : Redfeather Dreaming soloquest. We dedicated it to him (along with Steve Jackson and Ian Livingstone) so it would be nice to let him know his work and contribution to RQ is still appreciated.

• Like 1

I loved Alan's writing and even tossed in an Easter egg in Pirates of the East Isles. In the Family History, there are two possible sorn encounters, one has virdigris eyes and viridian skin and the other the opposite. One is good, one is bad. In the random encounters table, all you ever meet are green sorn with green eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/18/2022 at 11:41 AM, BakerDE said:

Well if someone gets a email address for Alan ...

On 10/21/2022 at 9:55 PM, Pentallion said:

I loved Alan's writing and even tossed in an Easter egg in Pirates of the East Isles...

At a guess, it wouldn't take much effort to reach him by digging a touch via the data provided above by David.
Depending, I s'pose, on how much effort you're willing to put in...

C'es ne pas un .sig