"It was like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert." — El Runeblogger shares reminiscences about the fanzine Tales of the Reaching Moon

MOB

"It was like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert." — El @Runebloggershares reminiscences about the fanzine Tales of the Reaching Moon, and how it helped sustain RuneQuest - Glorantha fandom in the late 1990s - early 2000s.

(And how various members of the Reaching Moon Megacorp that published it are now working at Chaosium today!)

1530688116_Talesissues.png.f43802bf60a09d53de394c03ac838688.png
  • Like 7
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 4

On 10/27/2022 at 2:19 AM, MOB said:
"It was like finding an oasis in the middle of the desert." — El @Runebloggershares reminiscences about the fanzine Tales of the Reaching Moon, and how it helped sustain RuneQuest - Glorantha fandom in the late 1990s - early 2000s.

(And how various members of the Reaching Moon Megacorp that published it are now working at Chaosium today!)

I loved these magazines so much!  They kept Gloarantha going for me, and broke fresh ground almost every edition.  I felt that if a work of such quality could still be produced that RQ would return some day.  So I waited and waited, and my hair went grey, but I kept the faith, and now look!  RQG is a reality, but I am now an ancient grognard.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2022 at 11:33 AM, Darius West said:

I loved these magazines so much!  They kept Gloarantha going for me, and broke fresh ground almost every edition.  I felt that if a work of such quality could still be produced that RQ would return some day.  So I waited and waited, and my hair went grey, but I kept the faith, and now look!  RQG is a reality, but I am now an ancient grognard.

I suspect many of us are ancient grognards now. My friend Bert and I were having pretty much this conversation the other day:

"Agent"
"Yeah"
" you know how when we were younger we'd go to see Hawkwind, and we'd look at the blokes at the bar with their paunches and the grey hair and the salt and pepper stubble?"
" yeah "
" and we'd say look at those old farts ? "
"yeah "
" you  do realise that we are those old farts now ?
" yeah "

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/1/2022 at 7:41 PM, Agentorange said:

I suspect many of us are ancient grognards now. My friend Bert and I were having pretty much this conversation the other day:

I went to a couple of family funerals this year and remarked to my cousin, who is a few years older then me, that I used to go to family occasions and look for the people with white hair, as that would be my Nan, Grandad, or later on my Aunts and Uncles, but now it is us.

• Like 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 9 months later...
On 11/2/2022 at 6:41 AM, Agentorange said:

"Agent"
"Yeah"
" you know how when we were younger we'd go to see Hawkwind, and we'd look at the blokes at the bar with their paunches and the grey hair and the salt and pepper stubble?"
" yeah "
"yeah "
" yeah "

Minimal paunch yet I am happy to say, but saw Hawkwind 3x :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

On 11/1/2022 at 12:41 PM, Agentorange said:

... My friend Bert and I were having pretty much this conversation the other day:

"Agent"
"Yeah"
" yeah "
"yeah "
" yeah "

Nice to have a friend who's so reliably positive, yeah?

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig