Oh, BRP, how popular are you?

RosenMcStern

So, we have won this award. And we won by popular vote. So first of all let me

Thank all those who voted for Rome!

You were many, oh so many! Thank you ;t)

And BRP is often (er, always) among the first three every time you run a poll about game systems on RPG.net.

So, let us rephrase the usual question.

How popular is BRP?

Apparently, a lot.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

So, let us rephrase the usual question.

How popular is BRP?

Could the issue be that BRP is a system rather than a game? Look at D&D. It's a family of games nowadays rather than a game, but people tend to say 'I play D&D' irrespective of which version they're using. And heck the same can be said about RuneQuest after all. But I don't think many people would spontaneously say 'I play BRP'. Even myself [and you know what a staunch BRP supporter I am] used to say "let's play my game" when I used to GM BRP + my setting. I reckon many people do the same.

I know this has been discussed many times, but part of the problem is the system name. BASIC Roleplaying. People who have not heard of it assume it is a beginning, simplistic rpg system. I encountered this a couple of times at Gencon this year. People who have been playing D&D, or WoD for years arent interested in playing a 'basic' system. The name is a misnomer and puts people off.

I had lunch with Charlie at Gen Con this year, and he mentioned that the feedback that they've gotten from retailers is that BRP continually sells well.

They're very happy with how it sells, and Charlie was very specific in letting me know how much they wanted to get source material out.