Count Solanthos' Ironpike Trueweapon - Deity Blessing

Erol of Backford

What would anyone's thoughts be as to a list of tasks a PC would need to undergo to have a permanent true-weapon cast by their patron deity?

Is it after so many years of service? Is it for say Yelmalio, killing 200 trolls or darkness creatures? A simple DI doesn't seem by any means appropriate...

What about binding a cult spirit to a location, company standard, personal weapon or shrine/temple?

image.png.72b8202d884411cf23fb9c5d2c7e5c8b.png

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

What would anyone's thoughts be as to a list of tasks a PC would need to undergo to have a permanent true-weapon cast by their patron deity?

My guess is that this is the result of a HeroQuest.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I noted it was a gift/blessing rather than begotten vis Hero Questing?

I have a suspicion that gift/blessing is fairly loosly defined and can include "begotten via heroquesting".

Someone asks Solanthos "Where did you get the cool spear from?", he flamboyantly answers "It was a gift from Yelmalio himself!" rather than carefully explaining he got it via the Hill of Gold quest.

Edited by Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Like 3

I am quite sure Yelmalio has dozens of myths, even if we mostly know one. I would make one, probably how he got his first spear from dad, how he got some death/iron into it and how he slew monster or deity X with it. Make X whatever clear enemy you want them to focus, though darkness is the default option. 

I would have the two options, full body HQ in the Godplane and also a mundane Heroquest. The mundane would require killing a proxy from the enemy, fought in very precise and mythical circumstances, as well as probably lots of lesser enemies first to properly anoint the weapon.

Possibly iron / death metal could be the key in getting a death effect in a cult without death rune association, and why he uses an obvious iron pike rather than the traditional gold or gilded ones..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

The key here is that no one ever notices that on the gift table, it says:

The Yelmalio's Gifts Table lists the most common gifts (roll 1d20), though others have been given in living memory.

combined with

A Light Son must take another gift and its concurrent geases upon achieving his status. He may take more gifts later in his life, but may not take more than one gift per year.

So perhaps the permanent True spear was given one year he took a gift and had done something important for the cult, and the 40 magic points was given when he took a gift when he became count. His true spear is not really much use to him as he's quite sedentary, so it's more for show than spearing things.

Perhaps @MOB remembers the great deeds of the young Solanthos.

• Helpful 2
  • Thanks 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

23 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Is it after so many years of service? Is it for say Yelmalio, killing 200 trolls or darkness creatures? A simple DI doesn't seem by any means appropriate...

What about binding a cult spirit to a location, company standard, personal weapon or shrine/temple?

image.png.72b8202d884411cf23fb9c5d2c7e5c8b.png

in my opinion, any "permantly" spell could provide from

a gift of a deity (with geas / auths of course). I consider any deity could provide it, of course the spell must have some relationship for the god, but I don't consider that the spell must be proposed by the cult. For example I could propose a truesword for a a great orlanthi hero, not because Orlanth provide trusesword spell or because any subcult or anything else but just because Orlanth is a war god and uses a sword.

In another hand there are two categories of deity there ...

those who propose gift and geas as any [initiate / Rune lord / Runepriest ] by default (aka in the rules)

those who don't (aka no gift in the rules)

so I have in mind a kind of matrix :

first dimension : does the god propose standard gifts or not  G / NG

second dimension : is the gift at the same level of a standard level (what yelmalio or humakt propose for example) or higher L / HL

and here the result :

G+L => even if not in the rules list, accessible by the same process (every year, etc...)

G + HL => high devotion (like Solanthos story I just discovered today) or heroquest

NG + L => high devotion or heroquest

NG + HL => ( high devotion AND heroquest ) or very hard heroquest

Note that heroquest could be some mundane activity but very very hard and important to the god, enough to let the God "open" the gate by itself and create a "very local heroplan" just the time to transform the weapon (or anything) into a gifted one

• Thanks 1

On 11/28/2022 at 1:22 AM, Erol of Backford said:

You can get a Gift/Geas from a HeroQuest.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here