Greydog Inn Burnt

Erol of Backford

I believe that reference is on SKoH p.288, with King Orlgandi.

But SKoH p.284 also notes: "The Orlmarth clan of the Colymar tribe and the Greydog clan long fought over the control of the ridge’s pastures, which was settled decisively in the Orlamarth clan’s favor when King Korlmar burnt down the Greydog Inn."

SKoH p. 275 has their dates:

• Korlmar Kentventsson, Orlmarth clan, 1552-1558; lord of Runegate, who won fame at the Battle of Karnge Farm.
  • Orlgandi Rangorsson, Orlmarth clan, 1558-1565; who died heroically protecting the High King.

Sartar Companion p.41 says: "the Orlmarthings finally took possession of the Ridges when King Korlmar of the Colymar burnt down the Greydog Inn in 1552."

p.42 notes: "It is most famous for the Greydog Inn. The inn is built of wood and thatch, and was last rebuilt after the Raid of the Unliving Army in 1592"

However, if I recall correctly, you may find a slightly different tale in TotRM from the Lismelder perspective.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

However, if I recall correctly, you may find a slightly different tale in TotRM from the Lismelder perspective.

LOL, so they each have a "side to the story" they have been fighting so long they forgot what started it, just like the Hatfields and McCoys...

image.png.4ee91b02be85b1576d1c3bee089a9548.png

24 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Raid of the Unliving Army in 1592

Where might I read more on this Raid of 1592?

Reconciling the HQ-era sources (at the risk of adding to the confusion), it’s plausible that future king Orlgandi was present in King Korlmar’s army and took a lead role in desecrating the sacred Greydog Inn. The bastard.

Unliving Armies erupt from the Upland Marsh every now and again. We’re kinda used to it. The notable thing about the Raid of 1592 is that they trashed our holy of holies, the bastards. That’s when every living Greydog boosted their Hate (Undead) passion. (Apart from the ones who found any excuse to blame those asshole Malani)

• Like 2

Lol, Mr. Brooke how do you really feel about those who burned the inn?

Where is the best source on the Greydog History? Our campaign would pass through Greydog areas from 1600 on up through 1615 I assume depending on how unfriendly the PC's become with the Lunars?

I recall RQ Adventures 01 has a good bit on the Greydog...

• Haha 2

So who died at Grizzly Peaks that the sword would have been buried with under Jonstown?

That's like 75 miles as the crow flies.

Do you recall the catacombs' entrance or roughly what year your PC's found it?

What were its powers if I might ask, knowing a Humakti wielded it?

The temple priests were at first reluctant to favour such a young warrior with this Sword. But eventually they relinquished the Sword to Gunnar at the request of his father, Korlmar, a previous king of the tribe. The Roving Sword A Greydog Treasure - David Hall (based on Martin Laurie’s original concept)

So Gunnar had the Greydog sword and his pops burnt the inn? These guys are mad no?

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Where is the best source on the Greydog History? Our campaign would pass through Greydog areas from 1600 on up through 1615 I assume depending on how unfriendly the PC's become with the Lunars?

If you can find a copy, there's a whole bunch on Greydog history in Tales of the Reaching Moon #18.  Granted that was a fanzine, but there are things from it that have since been canonized, so it's maybe at least kinda semi-canon.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

(Jex did you see those links to maps I posted in your thread - Location of Marshedge Clan (Lismelder Tribe) Mr. Jerwin had linked them somewhere previously but they had a good bit of detail...)

Oh, yes, sorry for not replying there; I was away from the forums for a few days trying to focus on finishing the adventure I was working on.  Those maps seem to contradict the other maps even more than the other maps contradict each other, but they're interesting to see.  I've decided I'm going to follow the map from the Well of Dalioth; even if it hasn't appeared in print, it's a decade more recent than the last maps of the Lismelder clans that did appear in print, and coming from Jeff Richard it can probably be considered pretty much canon, even if it says it's a work in progress.  Still, like I said, the maps you linked to were interesting to see; thanks for posting that.

Yeah, Greydog has stayed in more or less the same place in all the maps; it's the Marshedge clan—which is the one I'm writing about—that's been moved around the most.  But the map on the right of your post is Jeff Richard's map from the Well of Dalioth that I'm assuming is current canon.

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

I assume a clan's boarders change over the years based on population flux, bumper crops, stead construction - destruction, feuds, war, sickness, debts to be paid and well if you are near the Marsh your boarders might shrink via the rods: The Marsh Development Corp...

Yeah, those all make sense. During the period of occupation many borders changed position or even ceased to exist as the rebellious movement's fortunes' ebbed and waned.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!