Strange and interesting uses for spells.

whitelaughter

On 12/19/2022 at 8:43 AM, PhilHibbs said:

There's nothing in RuneMasters about it, although it does say "Befuddle the horse".

As @Darius West pointed out, you can't (unless they are an ally or awakened).

Much of the advice in RuneMasters is munchkinnery, or exploiting rules mechanics instead of "reality", or outright bogus.

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Ah, but if it has a credit card (how else can it be charging?) it must be sentient, they don't give credit to just anybod... 

You just realized that a financial institution gave a credit card to a parrot with a Facebook profile huh Bill? 🤭

Ah, but if it has a credit card (how else can it be charging?) it must be sentient, they don't give credit to just anybod... 

Never mind!

I'm sure the

anybod...

Never mind!

covers me!

;0

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

21 hours ago, Godlearner said:

Yeah, since they lost their INT stat in RQG that is the case. Not really sure if they should be subject to being Demoralized either.

Trust me, Demoralize is about fear and few things are more easily spooked than a horse.  Their answer to life's problems is to run away from them.  

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 8:31 AM, Darius West said:

Trust me, Demoralize is about fear and few things are more easily spooked than a horse.  Their answer to life's problems is to run away from them.  

Yeah, but that is real life and our rule set is not a simulation of all things which occur in real life. Can't tell you how many times I been told that. 

51 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

Yeah, but that is real life and our rule set is not a simulation of all things which occur in real life. Can't tell you how many times I been told that. 

Well I've never subscribed to that way of thinking.  Art imitates life imo.  In any case, demoralize works on animals in the rules last time I checked, only befuddle doesn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darius West said:

Well I've never subscribed to that way of thinking.  Art imitates life imo.  In any case, demoralize works on animals in the rules last time I checked, only befuddle doesn't.

"the victim loses faith in their own ability and of their allies to win a fight"

I'd argue that an unintelligent creature like a horse doesn't have faith to lose.  Even if it did, the spell does not force the horse to run away.  The enemy rider should, in general, be fine.

The rune spell Fear would work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

"the victim loses faith in their own ability and of their allies to win a fight"

I'd argue that an unintelligent creature like a horse doesn't have faith to lose.  Even if it did, the spell does not force the horse to run away.  The enemy rider should, in general, be fine.

The rune spell Fear would work.

Predators as much as protectors of young or herds in total will have a breaking point to which they fight, dependent on how cornered etc. they are, whether you call that "faith" or "survival instinct" or other semantics. A demoralized mount will not approach threatening opponents unless the one on its back is more threatening.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

17 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I heartily disagree.  Fear strikes you like a Shade attack and can kill people.  Animals like horses have a fight or flight response, thus they have a "faith" in their ability to fight, and sometimes they will rear and plunge or trample an enemy.  They are far more likely to run from an enemy though, and that is what demoralize triggers.  Horses spook easily.

• Like 4

On 12/20/2022 at 6:59 AM, soltakss said:

Derak the Dark Troll bound wraiths to the bones of his living lead skeleton, just because they made a really scary special effect.

In earlier editions, Wraith+Skeleton+Disease Spirit+multispelled Enhance anything made for a cheap, incredibly scary familiar. Wraith+Shade+Enhance DEX was also fun, and could be done by Hags, as they could Control a Wraith and summon a Shade.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 10:39 PM, PhilHibbs said:

It'll end up somewhere. When my Trickster was beheaded, everything that he had ever swallowed came out the other end.

He didn't have Remove Head?

A complication for Tricksters is how damage is changed by removing organs. A spear through the head is still going to be agony, but if there isn't a brain there any more, it stops being a fatal injury. The number of different vital organs in the torso though makes calculating the odds of avoiding a fatality complicated.

• Like 3