What are you most looking forward to in the upcoming Cult Books?

DrGoth

On 4/4/2023 at 3:24 AM, Darius West said:

I am also hoping for a detailed treatment of the Thunder Brothers many members.

I think they’ve stated that the only Thunder Brothers to get the full named treatment are Vinga and Hedkoranth, that the others are treated like Maruts, mostly unnamed petty gods of thunder.

4 hours ago, hipsterinspace said:

I think they’ve stated that the only Thunder Brothers to get the full named treatment are Vinga and Hedkoranth, that the others are treated like Maruts, mostly unnamed petty gods of thunder.

Which means we get to create our own local sub-cults.
Briian God of Cheese is back.

12 hours ago, hipsterinspace said:

Every time I look at Hedkoranth's name I want to read it as 'Headcase'.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 4:22 AM, hipsterinspace said:

That would be a shame.

6 hours ago, Darius West said:

That would be a shame.

It is not a shame. The Thunder Brothers are a collection of storm gods numbering between three and sixty, usually led by Vinga. They likely have names like Thunder, Lightning, Wind, Sandstorm, Noise, Hail, etc. Those names do not have cults - they don't really have individual identities, although if you squint sometimes you can see a cult behind one of the names but that is us being God Learners.

• Like 3

On 4/9/2023 at 12:40 AM, Jeff said:

It is not a shame. The Thunder Brothers are a collection of storm gods numbering between three and sixty, usually led by Vinga. They likely have names like Thunder, Lightning, Wind, Sandstorm, Noise, Hail, etc. Those names do not have cults - they don't really have individual identities, although if you squint sometimes you can see a cult behind one of the names but that is us being God Learners.

Honestly though, we have so much room to make this more interesting.  There are multiple named Thunder Brothers, and most Orlanthi clans could and should have a Thunder Brother secret that only they know, that sets them apart from other clans to some degree.  Given that some of these "Thunder Brothers" have their own separate cults, like Vinga, Mastakos, and Elmal, don't the rest of them at least deserve a write-up as Orlanth associates or subcults?  I mean Rigsdal literally became Orlanth in HeroQuest, and is actually a cut down cult of Polestar.  Elmal similarly is supposedly a Thunder Brother, and yet is simultaneously Yelmalio  accodring to some imo deeply flawed interpretations. 

We know who the Thunder Brothers are:

Destor the Explorer of the Discovery Band, Drogasi the Bagpiper, Elmal the Guardian,  Finovan the Raider,  Hedkoranth the Thunderbolt, Helamakt the Fighting Wind,  Mastakos the Charioteer, Rigsdal the Watchman, Siwend the Hunter, Starkval the Thane, Tatouth the Scout, Vanganth the Flier, Vinga Orlanthsdottir, Vingkot Orlanthsson, Yavor Lightning.

They are NOT "thunder", "lightning", "wind", "sandstorm, "noise", "hail" etc.  The Thunder Brothers have NAMES. They are small cults in their own right, each with their own entries in the lore.  The aim should surely be to build and improve the detail of Glorantha's lore.  What does anyone gain by chopping lore out?  Nothing.  When it comes to writing up hero quests in the future RQG publications, the Thunder Brothers are going to become indispensable for the detail they can potentially provide for Orlanth cult background info.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

When it comes to writing up hero quests in the future RQG publications, the Thunder Brothers are going to become indispensable for the detail they can potentially provide for Orlanth cult background info.

Or there is enough Orlanthi stuff to last us till doomsday the next visit from Wakboth without begging for more of it.

If you love the Thunder Brothers so much, publish a JC supplement about them and “prove @Jeff wrong”.

@svensson doesn’t like the deprecation of the Elmal cult, so he will write his own. I am no Elmali, but — like everyone else, I think — I applaud the DIY spirit. YGWV but only if you make it.

One doesn’t have to agree with other people’s decisions to think it better that they make their own rather than doing what you or I tell them to do, no? I mean no one should do what I tell them to do … ever! 😉

• Like 3

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST