What are you most looking forward to in the upcoming Cult Books?

DrGoth

What are your dreams? Your hopes? What do you want to see? What are you going to do?

Okay, maybe most of the text has already been drafted, but still...  Maybe Chaosium will see a really nifty idea here. You never know.

And if some of our ideas more deserve to be in the "Your Dumbest Theory" thread, who cares?

Me, I'm looking forward to the Lunar book for options to play Lunar characters. I'm really hoping to see some of the material from Lives of Sedenya integrated into that book.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes the lunar book will be fascinating…but everything else as well. 

I hope there’s quality illustrations to show an example of Lunars, Westerners and all the other cultural groups…to give a better overview of the player tropes out side of Dragonpass . I know it’s myth centric but I’d like to see some of the cultural flavour too. Together the books should help give a big picture overview of Glorantha. Something we haven’t had officially yet at the more casual player level (I don’t count the massive Guide to Glorantha as that’s for a different segment of the fan base).

I hope there’s a story running through like Biturans in cults of Prax 

Edited by Paid a bod yn dwp
  • Like 3

Shamanistic traditions including  White Bull Society and Jakaleel The Witch (she will be in the Lunar book). I am also very interested in the long form description of Ernalda and other earth cults like Aurelia, Voria and Ty Kora Tek. After that I think more Orlanth sub cults like Voriof and "Odayla as sub cult".

• Like 3

It's hard to pick out what I'm not excited for. I'm especially interested in the fleshed-out Lightbringers and Earth Goddesses books (they'll be the most immediately useful for me) as well as the Shaman/Spirit Cult volume and the Chaos volume. Holy crap, the Chaos volume will be instrumental in making some really awesome baddies. 

On the slightly less serious note, I'm hoping that the Chaos volume will have a much extended table of Chaos features with which I can better customize my Broo for future horror and grossness. 10-12 pages would be nice. Woo hoo!

• Like 2

I'm excited for the absolutely banging art in them. After that, I really want to get my hands on the solar cults since they've always fascinated me (and it'll be nice to see a definitive end to the Yelmalio debacle). Lightbringers we have heard a lot about already, but it'll be interesting to see them presented as "lightbringers" instead of the "storm tribe". Lunar cults, of course, will be great for giving a view of the empire's internals.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, DrGoth said:

What are your dreams? Your hopes? What do you want to see? What are you going to do?

We've seen plenty of art examples, but I am particularly looking forward to seeing ALL the artwork integrated through the books - I think it will look amazing.

What I'm dreaming for is Cults of Prax/Terror style narratives (e.g. Biturian Varosh) woven into each of the works. Those were what really sold me on Glorantha/RQ so many years ago. 

I also really want to see what has gone into the Mythology book. I'm hoping that it provides us not only the broad set of myths to work from, but gives us some unexpected treats - stories that we haven't seen before because we didn't have all the gods' stories pulled together.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Lunar book since many of my games occur at the edge of the empire and Lunar cults have always been important.

The one I'm most curious about is the Sea cults as that has always been rather mysterious. 

As for what I will do - buy each of them when they come out! 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

What I'm dreaming for is Cults of Prax/Terror style narratives (e.g. Biturian Varosh) woven into each of the works. Those were what really sold me on Glorantha/RQ so many years ago. 

Yes, CoP was a big part of what got me into Glorantha, so some really nice stories binding all the cults in a book together would be great!

Of course, for the Lunar book, they could just use the Lives of Sedenya for the story/binding text, and I'd be happy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

It looks like the first batch is already written. Jason posted this on Facebook:

Ooooh. Where on facebook?

Nice to see the different colours for the leatherettes, but hopefully they will have the cover art internally, unlike previous ones. I'm not optimistic on that front, though.

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

I’m not a total slave of canon, but I’m looking forward to:

• An in-print
  • Playable
  • Readable (for fun)
  • Comprehensive
  • Canonical
  • And foundational resource.

It may not be precisely the canon of decades ago, in small details, but I don’t care. It won’t be an argument on a Yahoo list or forum. It will be a canon that will remain consistent for the rest of my life. It won’t be piecemeal with decades between publications. Yeah it took awhile to get here, but July is a hop and a skip away. I’m also looking forward to getting it out of the way. Which is not to say that I don’t think it’s the highest priority to start publishing, it is, but there are other things I’d like to see written and published-that can happen once the logjam is smashed.

I love Dragon Pass but I’m interested and curious abut Fronela. I always found the legends of Snodal, the Syndic’s Ban etc. to be fascinating. That material can’t be explored until foundational works are done. Until Dragon Pass is finally detailed. I could say the same for Esrolia an equally neat place in the setting. 

So much to look forward to! So much reason to be hopeful!

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

On 4/4/2023 at 1:39 AM, mfbrandi said:

God of packed lunches and breakfast cereals? Oh, wait, that’s Tiffinbix.

I think you're mistaking one of the old Lunar families, who lost rather disastrously to the Eel-Ariash somewhere in the Dart Wars:  the Wee-ta Bix family.

But -- as Jaja said -- 

We've seen plenty of art examples, but I am particularly looking forward to seeing ALL the artwork integrated through the books - I think it will look amazing... 
Cults of Prax/Terror style narratives (e.g. Biturian Varosh) woven into each of the works. Those were what really sold me on Glorantha/RQ so many years ago. 

These; YES!

As others have said -- there isn't ANYTHING in the set I'm not delighted to see coming.

Particular volumes that I'm particularly-eager for:

• the Lunars (because so much DragonPass&Praxian stuff -- PC stuff, ally stuff, rival stuff, enemy stuff -- is Lunar)
  • the Earth Goddesses (wife of Orlanth, & all her court of daughters/allies/descendents/etc)
  • HornedMan/Shamans (just because, dammit)
  • (as a GM) the Chaos volume !!!
  • Darkness cults (because (a) Trolls have long been the most-human & thus most-PC'able race; & (b) non-troll Darkness is also highly interesting!)
Edited by g33k
  • Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/30/2023 at 8:15 PM, SDLeary said:

Information/traditions (in rules format of course) on areas outside of Prax and Sartar. 

SDLeary

hie thee to the Jonstown Compendium, young man!
There's some awesome expansion on those outside areas.

But I expect only teasers of "playability" from the Cults books:  they're Cults books, not Homelands books.

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

But I expect only teasers of "playability" from the Cults books:  they're Cults books, not Homelands books.

True, but hopefully with some nuggets in there that explains how the Orlanth cult might differ in Ralios, the Janube, Umathela, and so on. Same with other cults/panthons

1 hour ago, g33k said:

hie thee to the Jonstown Compendium, young man!
There's some awesome expansion on those outside areas

Of course! Have a few of those already, and planning on more. They can certainly tide over. As can Dave Dunham's site which contains notes on his East Ralios campaign, notes from Sand's campaign log, and so on.

Though, things on screen are not as easy to read as they once were; eyes much prefer print these days. Chaosium really scored though with the layout of Rivers of London. Even on screen that was seriously easy on the eyes for me.

SDLeary