So, I caught the new DnD movie

svensson

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I watched D&D:HaT at the weekend. We all thought it was utterly terrible. The only redeeming features were the graveyard scene and the cartoon party cameo.

Ha well, sorry you couldn't enjoy yourself. Personally I found it great!

To be fair I kind of like dungeon dragon vibe, I just don't like levels and classes, ha ha...

On 6/29/2023 at 4:14 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

I thought it was good summer fare, and you didn't even mention the dragon

I'm guessing from the other posts that this is a character that some of you are already familiar with, and were excited to see on screen. So, like all unfamiliar in-jokes, it kind of fell flat for us. The cartoon party cameo would be like that for a lot of people, but it was so quick that they wouldn't even notice it. I wasn't entirely sure myself at first.

In retrospect it was an interesting choice - given that other shows have done dragons amazingly well, how will "Dungeons & Dragons" strut their draconic stuff in a way that competes? A "We have all kinds of quirky dragons, not just those boring perfect specimen dragons that other people churn out" approach makes sense. That didn't occur to me at the time, though.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 7/3/2023 at 1:19 AM, PhilHibbs said:

I'm guessing from the other posts that this is a character that some of you are already familiar with, and were excited to see on screen. So, like all unfamiliar in-jokes, it kind of fell flat for us...

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Themberchaud
But AFAIK not a major part of the lore to delight most D&D fans; it's a pretty deep-dive sort of character, rather than a well-known & beloved one.

I'm not a Forgotten Realms loremaster, though.  Maybe he's better-known than I think.

But, as @Qizilbashwoman suggests, there's quite an internet craze for "chonky" critters, so it was a whole separate fandom to tap...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 7/3/2023 at 4:19 AM, PhilHibbs said:

I'm guessing from the other posts that this is a character that some of you are already familiar with, and were excited to see on screen.

I hadn't any idea who he was; it was merely delightful to see how they managed the "how do we make this required film D&D encounter with a dragon memorable" issue

• Like 3