The Magic Book and ORC

kr0p0s

4 minutes ago, kr0p0s said:

Is the Magic Book, with its 3 systems of magic, covered by the ORC licence. And what about Advanced Sorcery and the other BRP books? Or is only the new rules set covered?

I am not from Chaosium, but AFAIK...

Currently the only book in their inventory that is covered by ORC is Basic Roleplaying: Universal Gaming Engine, that is to say the new comprehensive genre-less rulebook. As to other books in the future, that is up to Chaosium.

SDLeary

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 5:34 AM, kr0p0s said:

Is the Magic Book, with its 3 systems of magic, covered by the ORC licence. And what about Advanced Sorcery and the other BRP books? 

No

On 4/21/2023 at 5:34 AM, kr0p0s said:

Or is only the new rules set covered?

Yes

• Like 1
  • Helpful 4

On 4/20/2023 at 12:34 PM, kr0p0s said:

Is the Magic Book, with its 3 systems of magic, covered by the ORC licence. And what about Advanced Sorcery and the other BRP books? Or is only the new rules set covered?

Every single book has its own (c) notice in the front of it; those with any other or additional licensing terms have those terms in those books (specifically, in this case, BRP:UGE & the (soon to be released) ORC License).

I'm... honestly more than slightly puzzled how anyone could think that the ORC license could or would be applied to books not published under the ORC license.

If Chaosium wants to quickly and easily re-release some part of their back-catalog under the ORC, the change would be (relatively) easy to do in PDF; that they have not done so (to date) says everything that needs to be said (to date).

I suspect that -- if they see robust & unambiguous rewards from BRP:UGE -- they will indeed add various resources to the ORC License; but I am not Chaosium, so I won't try to say they "obviously would" do so.

I suspect that -- if Chaosium sees no growth in any of their business-lines -- they won't put much (if any) further effort in (but again, I am not Chaosium, so... ) .

BRP:UGE is an amazing upgrade to the BGB, a more-marketable upgrade; and they ARE marketing it much more intensively.  I note that:

• Chaosium stated (when they deprecated the BGB some years back (began letting it fall out of print/availability)) that it never really sold very well
  • A commonly-repeated criticism/complaint (by fans) was that the BGB never got a "proper" treatment, nor "proper marketing" by Chaosium

Well, now there's a freakin' liveplay/podcast with pro cast, and a broad media push for awareness, supporting a great new revision of the rules; we can't claim lack of Chaosium support any longer (and note that Chaosium spent some serious money on this project -- it was a full-time job for senior developers for *MONTHS,* and they bought a bunch of commissioned art, and they did that for a product that has never sold well... when the same resources could have gone into proven money-makers like RQ & CoC (and note that the RQ fandom, in particular, has been absolutely frothing over delays in announced product!)).

So, now it's up to us -- the fans -- to PLAY the game, BUY the game, and to PROMOTE the game in our own media circles and our gaming-groups; and when available in print, to order it from FLGS' and demo / open-play it in public-facing venues (like FLGS' and convention/events), etc etc etc.

I have multiple projects in mind, with one substantively under way already.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

So, now it's up to us -- the fans -- to PLAY the game, BUY the game, and to PROMOTE the game in our own media circles and our gaming-groups; and when available in print, to order it from FLGS' and demo / open-play it in public-facing venues (like FLGS' and convention/events), etc etc etc.

Well said!

• Like 1