The night sky

D

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

Don't forget to have a look at the venerable Movable Ephemeris and the Gloranthan Sky

I can easily run the web page using the free CheerpJ Applet Runner extension in Chrome. You don’t need to install Java. Click the Gloranthan Sky link to open the page, then click the CheerpJ icon in the toolbar – it just loads and works!

I must still be doing something wrong, I have the extension installed and I'm still getting an error about not have java installed. I'll keep trying as it would be a helpful reference for me

1 minute ago, D said:

I must still be doing something wrong, I have the extension installed and I'm still getting an error about not have java installed. I'll keep trying as it would be a helpful reference for me

When you get that error, click the CheerpJ button in the toolbar. If you haven't pinned it, do so using the extension button (jigsaw shape).

image.png.26b8fb2978c0a0fa9a1729a975e0147d.png

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

9 minutes ago, David Scott said:

When you get that error, click the CheerpJ button in the toolbar. If you haven't pinned it, do so using the extension button (jigsaw shape).

image.png.26b8fb2978c0a0fa9a1729a975e0147d.png

I ticked both boxes in the settings, and now it's working. thank you

• Like 1

After viewing the moveable ephemeris and seeing Orlanth's ring rotating with the sky dome as it rises, it turns out, I have misread the description in GtG about the path Orlanth's ring takes, I've got it going in a straight line from Storm gate to Pole star, which makes it look like its spiralling, but after rereading it, it actually does travel in a spiral. So I'll fix that and post an updated video from a different view point.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Rob of Raibanth said:

As an amateur astronomer, please accept my thanks for this. More, please.

thank you.

I've got a few tweaks to make and then the next video of the stars will have Apple lane in shot

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry the update has taken so long.

I ended up redoing my Apple Lane build in a newer version of Unreal engine, and I have got to the stage that I am happy showing off some of it, the first video shows Yelm rise and what it's like to have a 10km long dragon, fly over head, about 2km above you. The second shows Yelm set and a view of the night sky.

https://youtu.be/duuFUxHtuIc

https://youtu.be/PhFPC57oruY

Edited by D
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, D said:

sorry the update taken so long.

I ended up redoing my Apple Lane build in a newer version of Unreal engine, and I have got to the stage that I am happy showing off some of it, the first video shows Yelm rise and what it's like to have a 10km long dragon, fly over head, about 2km above you. The second shows Yelm set and a view of the night sky.

https://youtu.be/duuFUxHtuIc

https://youtu.be/PhFPC57oruY

Kudos for getting the rotation of the sky dome right (around the spring equinox).

In the sunset movie, is that Mastakos following the sunset on the Sunpath?

And is that smaller bronze blot above the moon supposed to be Stormgate?

I first mistook it for the Bronze Planet, but that would mean he would have strayed too far north. Instead, I guess we see him south of Theya, next to another red planet which might be Artia. 

While the Southpath starts slightly to the north of the Gates of Dawn, it terminates significantly to the south on the western sky. So short after Sacred Time, Shargash should linger near the Gates of Dawn for a bit, but possibly almost on the Sunpath, and even north of it on the first day of the year. 

Spoiler

The Dragonrise is a bit off-date. It is impressive, though, maybe could have done with a longer period in shadows, and a trailing wisp telling "We Brake For Nobody"

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Kudos for getting the rotation of the sky dome right (around the spring equinox).

In the sunset movie, is that Mastakos following the sunset on the Sunpath?

And is that smaller bronze blot above the moon supposed to be Stormgate?

I first mistook it for the Bronze Planet, but that would mean he would have strayed too far north. Instead, I guess we see him south of Theya, next to another red planet which might be Artia. 

While the Southpath starts slightly to the north of the Gates of Dawn, it terminates significantly to the south on the western sky. So short after Sacred Time, Shargash should linger near the Gates of Dawn for a bit, but possibly almost on the Sunpath, and even north of it on the first day of the year. 

Hide contents

The Dragonrise is a bit off-date. It is impressive, though, maybe could have done with a longer period in shadows, and a trailing wisp telling "We Brake For Nobody"

Thank you.

The blue dot is Mastakos, and the bronze planet by the Red Moon is Shargash.

I've got the south path starting south of the Gates of Dawn and ending north of the Gates of Dusk, which probably aided the confusion. I couldn't find the beginning of the year start locations for Shargash and a few others, so I just placed them at various points along their paths.

In the Yelm rise video the 2 coloured planets are the Twinstars, but as I've got the south path wrong, they're in the wrong place.

Shargash starts from the eastern gate on Voria's day, making his 28 day cycle half a week delayed from that of Orlanth's Ring which starts on Windsday of the second week of Sacred Time, after the Underworld portion of the Lightbringers' Quest in the Orlanthi celebration of Sacred Time ends. Shargash explicitely stays in the Underworld during Sacred Time, avoiding a change in his rhythm between odd and even numbered years. No idea about the rising times of any other planet than Lightfore.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

37 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Shargash starts from the eastern gate on Voria's day, making his 28 day cycle half a week delayed from that of Orlanth's Ring which starts on Windsday of the second week of Sacred Time, after the Underworld portion of the Lightbringers' Quest in the Orlanthi celebration of Sacred Time ends. Shargash explicitely stays in the Underworld during Sacred Time, avoiding a change in his rhythm between odd and even numbered years. No idea about the rising times of any other planet than Lightfore.

that's very helpful, thank you.

working out how to get Shargash not to rise in scared time, will be fun