how to handle a Character tainted by Chaos?

Zalain

The Cleansed One has already been brought up, I just thought I'd mention that the source of his extremely rare power, Purify Chaos, is the Water god Nelat, the god of purification (and acid).  The basis of Nelat's Chaos-healing is the idea that Chaos eats away at what it touches, and to truly recover from it that absence must be filled by something.  That's what happened with the Cleansed One: he attained enough self-knowledge to recognize how awful being a broo is, tried to drown himself, was spared from death by the water itself (the Zola Fel river), and went on a quest into the deep ocean to achieve purification in the Baths of Nelat, from which he emerged whole and capable of sharing this blessing with others.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 10:23 AM, Zalain said:

i gave him a 10% of rune of chaos to begin with. And i think giving him extra 10% for each spell he learns from that book.

That could work. Let us know how it worked out in gameplay.

How can this Rune of Chaos increase or decrease? can any rune decrease?? (apart of power runes)

The more powerful the Rune the closer you are to it, so if the Chaos Rune increases in value the more Chaotic you are.

EDIT: how the character will be changing until the chaos rune is increasing? Fisically? only behaviour?

That really depends on the Player and the GM.

In our old RQ2 Campaign, Pektok, a Duck Humakti, gained +2D6 STR via a Chaos Feature unknowingly gained, so he trained his CON up to his STR, then he found out that it was Chaotic and got rid of it, then trained his STR up to Species Maximum. As he was a no nonsense Humakti, being Chaotic made no difference to how he behaved or what he did.

Other Adventurers may behave differently. They might meet with Chaos Creatures and get to understand their viewpoints and join them, One of my joys, as a GM, is to slowly corrupt Adventurers, giving them little steps along the way to corruption, so that each step seems a logical and reasonable thing to do, until it is too late twenty steps down the road.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 5/9/2023 at 11:23 AM, Zalain said:

How can this Rune of Chaos increase or decrease? can any rune decrease?? (apart of power runes)

He can try to fumble it by augmentation which drops the rune by 1d10%, but it's statistically more likely to increase it instead (as he just might succeed and get a check).

Still, might be worth a shot.

Edited by Akhôrahil

17 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

He can try to fumble it by augmentation which drops the rune by 1d10%, but it's statistically more likely to increase it instead (as he just might succeed and get a check).

I imagine that in god/hero plane, runes may become more important and "just" failure may have an impact. However I m not sure that should be applied to chaos rune.

On 5/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, Akhôrahil said:

Most of the time trying to augment won't result in any change to the Chaos rune affinity. If it does change, it's only a little bit more likely to increase rather than to decrease. Expected value is only a 0.04% increase in their Chaos rune. So it's pretty close to even odds that the change, if any, is negative rather than positive. But you'd probably have to try to augment a whole lot of times before it changed much.

That begs the question though, is trying to augment using your Chaos rune affinity itself a chaotic act? Would anyone other than someone already irredeemably tainted by chaos even try to augment using their Chaos rune affinity?

Maybe a better approach would be to try to get an affinity to the Law rune. How does one go about doing that? Talk to a lot of Mostali? Try to do what dwarves do? Stand around not moving and telling other people, "No you move!"

• Like 1