Roll20

Barak Shathur

Roll20 doesn't even have BRP in their "we are playing" box for campaign advertisement or a character sheet for the BGB. Missed opportunity really, a lot of younger players' first experience with RPGs is online because the barrier to entry is so much lower.

I believe they plan to do one... hope to do one.

But so far as I know, there isn't even an "officially supported" Roll20 sheet for RQG...
and RQG is a much bigger deal for Chaosium, as it has a proven sales record... and it has been on the market for years.

Chaosium has a guy working on Foundry VTT, I know... Ariel Sawicki.  CoC+RQG are his 1st projects.

Dunno if Ariel is tasked to do BRP for Foundry, after that; or maybe Lords of the Middle Sea... or expanding onto Roll20..., or if they are looking for a different Roll20 dev... or what.

Off the top of my head, the BRP sheet seems to me to be a *LOT* more complex to implement than the sheet for a specific RPG -- BRP has so many different genre-options, so many possible RPG's within it.

I expect much will depend on relative sales-numbers.

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

Right now we don't have any plans to implement BRP into Roll20.

This isn't because it's not on our wish-list, but because it's something we - independently - just can't throw effort at and get done. 

If we could get a toe in the door of Roll20 implementation, BRP would probably be low on our list of games to implement, just because there's much less, content-wise, than for our other lines. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jason D said:

This isn't because it's not on our wish-list, but because it's something we - independently - just can't throw effort at and get done. 

If we could get a toe in the door of Roll20 implementation, BRP would probably be low on our list of games to implement, just because there's much less, content-wise, than for our other lines. 

What's the status of the Fantasy Grounds version? I have not checked it for maybe 10 years, but it should be working fine. I have played several games and campaigns with it. Is anyone, apart from Smiteworks, working on it? The effort to convert it to the UGE version should be trivial, but there might be other issues.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

2 hours ago, Jason D said:

I must have misunderstood something I read somewhere. I don’t even remember where. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

45 minutes ago, RosenMcStern said:

What's the status of the Fantasy Grounds version? I have not checked it for maybe 10 years, but it should be working fine. I have played several games and campaigns with it. Is anyone, apart from Smiteworks, working on it? The effort to convert it to the UGE version should be trivial, but there might be other issues.

I’m currently playing with it (as a player). It seems to work mostly fine, though there was some bug with some dice rolls. 

1 hour ago, RosenMcStern said:

It's working fine. I play a weekly game and it works well. It got a much need overhaul a year and a half ago and I have posted a score of bug reports and those gets fixed. The BRP ruleset is the oldest FG ruleset that's still being sold, so it lacks in automotations, compared to newer rulesets.

AFAIK there's not really that much new or changed mechanics that would warrant an UGE update. And, I don't think the sales justify the investment either.

One of my players run a campaign using the Roll20 BRP sheet and so far the FG version shines, in comparison.

Edited by peterb
  • Like 2

Peter Brink

On 5/15/2023 at 4:41 PM, hix said:

Roll20 doesn't even have BRP in their "we are playing" box for campaign advertisement or a character sheet for the BGB. Missed opportunity really, a lot of younger players' first experience with RPGs is online because the barrier to entry is so much lower.

There is a BGB BRP sheet but it is not great.  Implementing BGB BRP on a VTT  is a nightmare because of the multitude of options. 

brp.jpg

What appears in the "Playing Any of These Games" or "Playing" fields are at the whim of what the staff feel is cool  such as games like Maid

Edited by dvdmacateer
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

On 5/16/2023 at 8:30 AM, RosenMcStern said:

It's still available. SmiteWorks has it in maintenance mode as there is no current developer for it. They're just keeping it compatible with CoreRPG ruleset changes.

From a quick perusal of the UGE PDF, it doesn't look like it would be that difficult to create an extension for the BRP ruleset to incorporate the needed changes.  

• 1 month later...

I just tried using FGU BRP and when we add new skills to the character sheet, they disappear after we log off and back in. Additionally, weapons skills on the first page revert to 0% when logging back in. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Edited by devinlc

10 hours ago, devinlc said:

I just tried using FGU BRP and when we add new skills to the character sheet, they disappear after we log off and back in. Additionally, weapons skills on the first page revert to 0% when logging back in. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

See my answer on the FG forum: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59713-Problems-Bugs-with-BRP&p=690664&viewfull=1#post690664

Peter Brink

• 8 months later...

Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine

Has Chaosium considered doing a Kickstarter to get this on Roll20? The lack of content for BRP might be a chicken-and-egg issue. If you build it, they will come. I am pleased to see the design contest Chasosium is doing for BRP, but a great many people play online, and Roll20 is the big dog in VTT. I would love to use this system for all of my games, but we play on Roll20, and it is not supported at all (with the exception of a very rudimentary character sheet, as referenced above). 

Goodman Games just kickstarted their Dungeon Crawl Classics rules on Backerkit, and made plenty of money. You guys could do the same!