Splitting Attacks and Inspriation/Augmenting

Hellfire6a

I imagine this question has been asked before. However, my search-fu has failed me. Yahir Strongarm has 100% in broadsword. If he has Strength cast (+10%), Bladesharp 1 (+5%), and Air Rune Inspiration (+20%). This would be 135% if my math is right. 

In the started set it seems to say that only a natural skill of over 100% reduces your opponents defenses. 

The RQG rules seem to indicate that any augment, inspiration, or magic is also used to reduce your opponents rolls. 

Which is true?

If I split my attacks in RQG do my split (natural) 50%s benefit from my spells, augments and inspiration (I do understand I can't have an augment and inspiration at the same time) do they add to the attack. In other words do I have two attacks at 85%?

Thanks for reading all the way through this! I know this question has probably already been asked but I can't find it.

36 minutes ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

We play that spells or augments that get you over 100% do decrease the opponent's skill.

Given this, splitting attacks is usually a bad choice, so that question has not arisen.

It would probably only come up in niche situations when fighting groups etc. RAW seems to be a bit flexible on this question. 😛

Our own reading of the rules is that splitting requires a natural skill of 100, while decreasing skill happens with the actual modified skill. To make splitting more attractive we do allow the to hit modifications to apply to each attack, so a combatant with Bladesharp 6 and Sword trance with 5 MP and a natural short sword skill of 120 would have an effective skill of 200 on attack, so -100 parry if doing a single attack, though 170 in parry, but could split into two 115 attacks, which feels right when fighting several opponents, rather than wait till they are slowly disarmed or killed by failed attacks vs succesful parries. My players are often at a numbers disadvantage, and that shortens the fights. Bladesharp and Bludgeon increase the chance to hit by MPx5%, rather than increasing the skill, while Sword Trance modifies the skill, so the Sword trance bonus is split while the +30 applies to both.

While RAW (to my reading, as well) requires natural skill of over 100% to engage in split attacks, I tend to think that's a tall order. Accordingly, I allow split attacks for any weapon skill over 100%, including after modifications after spells, inspiration, etc. I also calculate effective skill for split attacks from the total modified skill base (although JRE's idea has some real merit, to my mind; guess it depends on how you want combats to play out and how heroic you want characters to be.) Likewise, any combat skill over 100% (including modified) leads to a decrease in an opponent's parry. I think this makes all the combat-boosting spells, especially Sword Trance and Berserker, more effective (and fits with the spirit of the spells.) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beoferret said:

While RAW (to my reading, as well) requires natural skill of over 100% to engage in split attacks, I tend to think that's a tall order.

My interpretation of RAW is the skill % including the category bonus, which is doable. The line only notes magic or augments as not supporting split attacks.

"Thus, an adventurer can only split attacks with a natural skill rating of 100% or higher with the weapon (magical benefits or augments that bring a skill over 100% do not count in this case)."

9 hours ago, JRE said:

To make splitting more attractive we do allow the to hit modifications to apply to each attack

This makes sense once you've achieved the ability to split your attacks.

12 hours ago, Hellfire6a said:

If I split my attacks in RQG do my split (natural) 50%s benefit from my spells, augments and inspiration (I do understand I can't have an augment and inspiration at the same time) do they add to the attack. In other words do I have two attacks at 85%?

I m not sure but I m enough confident to answer this part 😛

calculate first the skill % with all the spells bonus, inspiration etc...

then split the attack and the %

for bonus damage, apply the bonus for all attack (no split then)

so if your natural skill is 120% and you have +80% (bladesharp, rune , etc...) that means 200% => you split, you have 2 attacks at 100%

and I checked, it is clear (I didn't remember) you must have 100% without magic if you want to split (p202)

an adventurer can only split attacks with a natural skill rating of 100% or higher with the weapon (magical benefits or augments that bring a skill over 100% do not count in this case).

• Like 1

The Starter Set occasionally (and possibly intentionally) contradicts the main rules. I would go with the main rulebook, personally, although it’s possible the rules in the Starter Set represent a change of mind that will be implemented in the ”G.1” version once it comes out.

Going with the Starter Set rules has the disadvantage of potentially landing both characters above 100% which the original rule tried to avoid, but the advantage that it significantly fixes the extremely powerful skill-tanking (that becomes downright obscene with Weapon Trances).

• Thanks 1