B.Gor "man-hunter" ... dual-Initiate?

g33k

27 minutes ago, JRE said:

The 30% was probably an exaggeration, though it is possible in the rules. Someone with 70% life will be more useful in Voria as she will then specialize on life giving tasks. But what do you do with those with 40-60% affinity?

Well, that does bring up the question of how well do the character creation rules reflect the average Gloranthan?? Do most people have the bonuses that PCs have?

As a system to create the heroes and heroines of the Hero Wars, average is not the target population. But it is still the main tool we have to see how an average person is presented, so I would assume they do have characteristics, runic affinities, and skills, and those are decided by the GM according to their view of Glorantha, so this is a clear example of YGMV, from people that scale up as the characters improve (like so many CRPGs), to ones where the characters progressively disconnect from the average, or they may well start disconnected, as was the case in Hero Wars / Heroquest from the initial concept.

The return to a more granular and "gritty" system allows more flexibility in making "typical" NPCs, and more variations in competence. But it clearly does not need to fit averages with the character creation, as the PCs are exceptional from the beginning. The simulation chosen also influences the characters, even if you ignore character creation, as that fixes certain limitations for Rune levels, master artisans and even what to expect as Affinities. It will also modify magic use, as in my Glorantha many initiates seldom have much Rune magic because it is unreliable unless your affinity is high.Ā 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:10 AM, Shiningbrow said:

Well, that does bring up the question of how well do the character creation rules reflect the average Gloranthan?? Do most people have the bonuses that PCs have?

two questions for two questions

How many npc at 21 have at least mastered one skill (90%) ?

How many pc at 21 have at least mastered one skill (90%) ?

šŸ™‚

Ā 

let's say that Fate, Destiny and Random were your friend when you (pc) were a child. Now it is time to become hero. However Fate, Destiny and HazardĀ  met some of your allies and ennemies.

So some npc are "like" you, and a lot of, the "anonymous", aren't

Ā 

I think that the previous one (I have the french oriflam version ... don't know if it is rq 2 or rq 3 ?) was more "average". It was a shock for me to see the "upgrade". How I disliked it at the beginning ! Now it is fine.

Ā 

Ā 

The default system generates average 21 year olds who have yet failed to meet any of their societies expectations. They are initiates, so have not failed their initiation ordeal, which some people do. They areĀ  not crippled by health issues or injuries, which some people are. They did not drop out of training for their occupation, which some of their peers did.. Ultimately, they are alive, which some of their peers are not

So, at the start of play, they will be some of the most promising people of their generation in their clan or city district. At the end of play, if the campaign goes on for long enough, they will be dead.

The question is what happens in between.

Edited by radmonger