Pepper spray and .41 caliber revolver

SMAY63

I came across the .41 revolver in the Investigators Handbook. 

P251: .41 (10.414mm) revolver: Dam: 1D10, Range: 15 Yards, RoF: 1 (3), Mag: 8, Cost: $30, 1920s, Mal: 100, rare. 

I had a look online to see what the model/make might be. Not much luck, found 1 or 2. 

One of them, the Colt Thunderer has a 6-round cylinder. 

I was wondering what the 'developers' were basing the revolver 'stats' on.

Any ideas? 

Pepper spray (Mace 1960s). P250 in the Investigators Handbook. 1920s/Modern. Cost: --/$10.

No cost for the 1920s?

Would be most grateful for any answers. 

Per a quick Google search:

Mace came along in the late 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(spray)

According to this website, peppers have been weaponized since ancient times by throwing bits into eyes and burning them, but the first successful attempt to create a portable aerosol form of capsaicin was in the early 1960s.

https://www.zarc.com/t-pepper-spray-history

Edited by SaintMeerkat
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sam E. said:

I don't think pepper spray or mace existed in the 1920s.

I did have a look online, and found that something like it was used in WW1; but nothing 'exact/factual' in detail. 

I also watched the Bookshops of Arkham (1935?), where one of the characters used 'spray' to disable an attacker. Somewhat confusing. 

23 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

.41 is an odd caliber.  And the vast majority of revolver cylinders have six chambers.  

Is it possible the developers put in a unique and RW nonexistent item in order to trap plagiarists?

It is listed as rare. 

Oh well. 

20 hours ago, SaintMeerkat said:

Per a quick Google search:

Mace came along in the late 1960s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mace_(spray)

According to this website, peppers have been weaponized since ancient times by throwing bits into eyes and burning them, but the first successful attempt to create a portable aerosol form of capsaicin was in the early 1960s.

https://www.zarc.com/t-pepper-spray-history

Same hear with the internet search with 1960s. 

Tear (CN) gas is the 1920s equivalent of Mace, and is mostly used against strikers and protesters first in the USA from the late 1920s and then around the world. Mace first appeared in 1963 and reached its current form by the late sixties.

Search "Federal gas billy" for truncheons equipped with a gas canister that allows tear gas to be "sprayed" (actually more like "misted" over) over 2-3 assailants, or eject a gas cloud affecting 5-6 assailants at once depending on the type of billy. Tear gas fountain pens were also a thing in the 1930s, see the Federal Protect-O for example.

The .41 Colt Thunderer appears in Sixtystone Press's Investigator Weapons 3: Gaslight & Old West. However, it is the only .41 cal weapon in the book so don't buy the book if you only want .41 cal weapons. Do buy the book if you want lots of Gaslight gun-ness.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited

I'd be surprised if there were no devices for firing toxic or irritating compounds in the 1920s. There would have been no problem creating a device to produce pressure on demand, everyone knew about carbide lamps, devices which drip water onto calcium carbide to produce acetylene, which burns with a brilliant white light. My grandpa showed me once, if you add too much water they fizz up very rapidly. Or they could just have used a water pistol action. As for the irritant, extract of crushed onion or chilli would have worked fine. 

• 2 weeks later...