Let's Unbox And Take A Closer Look At The Prosopaedia!

klecser

On 7/19/2023 at 10:12 AM, andyl said:

For me shrink-wrap on a book is useless single-use plastic. Goes straight into the bin.  Something we should be aiming to get rid of. 

Something something shipping container moisture warehouse dust something? I agree in principle, but there's probably a good reason for it. It's good to see that Drivethru/Lightning don't do this, but the books come to the buyer pretty quickly so there's little opportunity for contamination.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:12 AM, andyl said:

For me shrink-wrap on a book is useless single-use plastic. Goes straight into the bin.  Something we should be aiming to get rid of. 

For shipping, I agree it is not very useful, but I think it helps in storage and for handling during packaging for shipping, keeping the book closed tight.

On 7/19/2023 at 5:12 AM, andyl said:

We tend to shrink-wrap our products for a number of reasons. Those include some books having a loose map tucked into the back of the book, sets of books in a slipcase, boxes with many items in them, books with dustjackets that are more easily damaged, and lastly, because it helps reduce the chances of rubbing damage. We have a number of customers who absolutely positively require their book to be in pristine and unblemished condition.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

6 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

We tend to shrink-wrap our products for a number of reasons. Those include some books having a loose map tucked into the back of the book, sets of books in a slipcase, boxes with many items in them, books with dustjackets that are more easily damaged, and lastly, because it helps reduce the chances of rubbing damage. We have a number of customers who absolutely positively require their book to be in pristine and unblemished condition.

I don't count myself among the "absolutely positively require [my] book to be in pristine and unblemished condition" crowd.

OTOH, "rubbing damage" is a thing, and if it's a thing on my book, it causes a moue of sadness... in a FLGS, I will look through all the copies to get the least-damaged one.

C'es ne pas un .sig