King Rikard the Tiger-Hearted

Erol of Backford

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

Chainmail and kite shields, what's not to like!

“Bormandy” is canonical. Don’t blame me for that one.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

IMO, only Talars can be Rune priests/lords of Orlanth

You are a brutal overlord! Yes, I'll make myself king...

But wait, if Rikard isn't a Talar wouldn't the Esvulari welcome one from the south with open arms as the "Talar" did try to move north or at least did so up to the Bandori areas?

20 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

if Rikard isn't a Talar wouldn't the Esvulari welcome one from the south with open arms as the "Talar" did try to move north or at least did so up to the Bandori areas?

Aeolian nobles are called Talars - that is the name of the noble caste (just as priests are called Zzaburi).

God Forgot is similarly ruled by a Talar - but the Ingareen of God Forgot are not the same as the Esvulari (Aeolians) of Heortland (though the Esvulari may have originated among them). 

Refuge is also ruled by a Talar - but in the case of Refuge the Talar is a Brithini (i.e. an immortal), and therefore no need for other talars. This is who the Bandori appealed to for protection during the Lunar invasion.

57 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

What Rikard then can do is: 1) simply find that no one in central Heortland is of the Talar caste; 2) declare himself both King of Heortland (he has the regalia which the Heortland clans recognize) and Talar over those clans; and 3) require the tribute due to the Governor for himself.  Who that most prominently impacts is not the Commoners of Heortland, but the clan leaders! They aren't "noble Talars" and therefore may be stripped of their leadership in the Orlanth cult (because under the Aeolian model, IMO, only Talars can be Rune priests/lords of Orlanth).

Since you lay the pieces out so clearly here it gets me wondering whether he was hoping to shore up his IMG shaky claim to the forms and regalia of talar rightness with a healthy slice of Rex. In theory the systems of authority are compatible if someone puts them together in the right way . . . he couldn't pull it off but MGF suggests someone with more extensive local resources will try.

• Like 3

singer sing me a given

54 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Aeolian nobles are called Talars

Oops, thought they were immortal wizards... wait, Rikard isn't a wizard just a noble, as you said...

56 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

This is who the Bandori appealed to for protection during the Lunar invasion.

Maybe partly the reason the Bandori were not molested by the Lunars?

44 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

he couldn't pull it off but MGF suggests someone with more extensive local resources will try.

Like a PC Vingan, Larnsting riding a dragon with red hair glistening in the morning sun?

• Helpful 1

On 9/19/2023 at 3:49 PM, scott-martin said:

Since you lay the pieces out so clearly here it gets me wondering whether he was hoping to shore up his IMG shaky claim to the forms and regalia of talar rightness with a healthy slice of Rex. In theory the systems of authority are compatible if someone puts them together in the right way . . . he couldn't pull it off but MGF suggests someone with more extensive local resources will try.

At the end of the day, Rikard tried to carve out a new principality in Heortland. Keep the Orlanthi happy with muscular justice and a willingness to take direct action. Keep the Esvularing happy by keeping them as scribes, administrators, etc. Try to keep everyone happy by staying aloof from sectarian matters. Attract Malkioni mercenaries by giving the principality a good name that rings a bell. And it is easy to maintain the forms - you've got the king and chiefs (talars), priests and wizards (zzaburi), warriors and thanes (horals), and farmers, herders, and crafters. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 3