Proteus / Meld Form Rune Spell Questions

Rodney Dangerduck

1) If a PC turns into an animal, then back to their original form, what happens to their clothing and equipment?  Some spells, like Guided Teleport and Bears Skin are more specific, but this one (and Teleport) aren't.

2) If you captured, say, Vasana, and Meld Form with her, would your spell form always look just like her (as for a T1000 terminator), or is your form more generic, like "red haired warrior woman".

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck

6 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

1) If a PC turns into an animal, then back to their original form, what happens to their clothing and equipment?  Some spells, like Guided Teleport and Bears Skin are more specific, but this one (and Teleport) aren't.

As these spells about changing form, you can decide what happens to their clothing and equipment. In my games i'd say it ends up in a pile under them.

Treat Teleportation as Guided Teleportation.

2) If you captured, say, Vasana, and Meld Form with her, would your spell form always look just like her

Yes:

The user’s INT, CHA, and POW do not change, but all other characteristics become identical to those of the creature used in the Meld Form ritual.

(as for a T1000 terminator), or is your form more generic, like "red haired warrior woman".

No.

Note that as you will be killing Vasana, you will have to overcome her POW for the Ritual and spell to succeed, along with the other problems this will create.

(I will add this to the Q&A)

• Like 3

On 9/15/2023 at 6:17 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

a good question

Is it even a chaotic action ? I mean what is the difference with cannibalism (human on human at least) ?

Not sure that it is chaotic. They just die, and go to their regular death-place.

However: it's a cult special spell, and the Meld Form has to be done when the initiate sacrifices for the Proteus spell. Hard to imagine a Mastakos priest sanctioning that at a holy day ceremony.

The wording is something of a hold-over from when individual spells were gained rather than learned and cast with Rune Points. In RQG, you only learn the spell once, so you could interpret that as only ever learning one form. That is clearly not the intention. I'm not sure if this needs a Q&A clarification or not, but there is the possibility that someone might come away with the wrong idea.

Actually, I'd forgotten this but @Scotty's Q&A response to my first question implies that Meld Form can be traded (or stolen) and used on non-cult-members. The first line of the spell seems to rule this out.

This ritual must be undergone whenever a cultist sacrifices for the spell of Proteus.

That implies that it can only be done during a Mastakos worship ceremony, on a full member of the Mastakos cult.

I'd say that MGF dictates that it is possible. If you go to the effort of acquiring the spells, and let yourself in for the hassle of trying to regain/recharge the Proteus spell when you've used it, then a hard-nope from the GM is no fun. Also, if the GM wants a bad guy to have this, then that's cool as well. Killing a PC and impersonating them, that's less cool, but who am I to dictate what kind of fun people are allowed to have? I've certainly played a trickster who would have cheerfully done this if he could, although "Become (Rodney's Character)" is easier.

Also, add this to the list of ways to prevent someone from being resurrected.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 3:13 AM, PhilHibbs said:

... Killing a PC and impersonating them, that's less cool, but who am I to dictate what kind of fun people are allowed to have? I've certainly played a trickster who would have cheerfully done this if he could, although "Become (Rodney's Character)" is easier...

I can see this as an option for the GM to lay on the table if/when a player says, "I'm thinking of retiring this character..."

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig