Giant Scenarios & Hero Quests

Erol of Backford

I was reading through the old Giant Stair's scenario from Stormbringer thinking it was more or less a Hero Quest. The gateway only opens at a certain time in a specific place, the PC's are on the other side, time passes differently, etc. It works for me.

Thinking of potential powers a giant might have that would be interesting, titan stomp which makes one fall to the ground, billowing voice which makes one cower in fear... of course the giant would have a smell food skill or something of the like.

What else beside throw rock 100's of meters might a giant have?

Are there Hero Quests with giants in them?

Are there other scenarios beside Snake Pipe Hollow, Balastor's Barracks, Orta's Castle and Willandring the Giant that have giants in them that are not random wilderness encounters? 

image.png.e451e87416ae095f385075fd85522215.png image.png.d69f17d15d772931bcfb2defd4b89c0e.png

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

If you've got my Nochet book, look for Delaina and the Giant's Cauldron. While presented as a myth, it is certainly the basis for a Heroquest. 

And of course, there is the classic which has come down to our world with a slightly different hero's name but originally may have been Barntar and the Beanstalk, or on occasion Vinga and the Beanstalk. There you have to deal with and defeat a giant living up in the clouds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Thinking of potential powers a giant might have that would be interesting, titan stomp which makes one fall to the ground, billowing voice which makes one cower in fear... of course the giant would have a smell food skill or something of the like.

What else beside throw rock 100's of meters might a giant have?

Smell Food is known as 'Smell the Blood of an Esrolian' for reasons known mainly by the mostly forgotten Ernalddottir Giant-Killer cult (see below).

Seven League Stride is an obvious one.

27 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

If you've got my Nochet book, look for Delaina and the Giant's Cauldron. While presented as a myth, it is certainly the basis for a Heroquest. 

And of course, there is the classic which has come down to our world with a slightly different hero's name but originally may have been Barntar and the Beanstalk, or on occasion Vinga and the Beanstalk. There you have to deal with and defeat a giant living up in the clouds.

And the obscure Ernalddottir Giant-Killer cult (Nearly wiped out when the subcults created by the God-Learners were wiped out with the God-Learners), in which Ernaldadottir takes out 7 giants with her domestic skills - sewing their clothing into a trap as they sleep, poisoning their breakfast, singing High C to escape out a glass window, tieing shoe laces together so they fall off the cloud, and styling their hair so it blinds them, and the like.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, jajagappa said:

If you've got my Nochet book

You know I did but want to read in in hardcover! But this part is really funny... she realizes what Eurmal's Staff really is

On 10/17/2023 at 6:04 PM, jajagappa said:

Vinga and the Beanstalk

Its somewhat similar to Giant's Stairs.. though the newer version is more likable to me, IIRC some humans get eaten which is how it should be... wait do any of the Gloranthian myths have gods eating kids? I recall posting this Saturn has his kids for lunch in the past but don't recall where...

image.png.ec9fdb9d3483b872fa36965f20da8a72.png image.png.d3cd7354ece68e6bfa53c24c5b95dfed.png

On 10/17/2023 at 6:41 PM, John Biles said:

sewing their clothing into a trap

Mickey Mouse Tailor GIF - Mickey Mouse Tailor Giant GIFs

1 minute ago, Erol of Backford said:

But this part is really funny... she realizes what Eurmal's Staff really is

😉

2 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

wait do any of the Gloranthian myths have gods eating kids?

Usually it seems to be the kids thrusting their fathers/uncles aside: Umath with Aether, Orlanth with Yelm, Wakboth with Ragnaglar.