New Runespell "Sunspot"

g33k

Over in the "Official  Q&A" thread, @Scotty clarified that "Sunbright" doesn't function magically as if it were "direct sunlight:"

Sunbright creates a 60-meter radius circle of light around the target of the spell.

• Clear Sight, no. This spell only functions on objects in direct sunlight. Sunbright is not direct sunlight.
  • Sunspear, no. This spell works only in direct sunlight. Sunbright is not direct sunlight.

Leading me to suggest that some Solar heroquester (likely an Illuminate from the Lunar empire) discover/create a Solar version of the Lunar "Glowspot"...

A spell whose radius *does* allow the casting of other "only in direct sunlight" spells.

Maybe a two-Heroquest project -- 1st, bring back a unique "Be a Sunspot" HQ-ability.  Later, HQ to find/create a Runespell version of that ability.

Maybe it "stacks" on top of Sunbright:  Sunbright + Sunspot + The "needs direct sunlight" Runespell(s).
This shows a nifty parallel to the suite of shapeshifting runemagic from Odayla &c...

Edited by g33k
stacking
  • Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

Personally, I'm just going to keep running Sunbright as counting as sunlight. And even if it doesn't, I don't really think its a problem that can/should be fixed. If a heroquester tried to find some fragment of the sun remaining in the darkness, they'd find Yelmalio.

Edited by Richard S.

24 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Personally, I'm just going to keep running Sunbright as counting as sunlight. And even if it doesn't, I don't really think its a problem that can/should be fixed. If a heroquester tried to find some fragment of the sun remaining in the darkness, they'd find Yelmalio.

I don't think I understand you here:  you say "...I don't really think its a problem that can/should be fixed..." but that you're "... just going to keep running Sunbright as counting as sunlight..."

So you have "fixed" it, but you ... think you shouldn't have?

🫤  🧐  😵‍💫

C'es ne pas un .sig

I did phrase it badly. What I meant was essentially that while it isn't a problem for my own campaign, I don't think it makes sense in general for there to be a way outside of Yelmalio to access that sort of solar power in the darkness. And while maybe this "sunspot" power does come from Yelmalio, I feel that it's easier to just say that the spell that already makes the caster "glow like the sun" counts as sunlight, rather than making a whole separate rune spell.

Anyways, if you do want a Sunspot spell, I think effect wise it would be pretty similar to Sunbright. It'd probably create a radius of sunlight around the target, functioning as normal sunlight but also allowing sunlight-based magic.  Probably it'd be Self rather than Ranged. Maybe it's a little narrower, say 6 meters, and manifests as a vertical column of light from Lightfore or some other celestial body, like a spotlight.

Edited by Richard S.

On 11/15/2023 at 7:44 AM, Scotty said:

Or just have a cool artefact like the Goldenblood.

That's a very cool artefact, indeed!
OTOH, it's very different from the scope & scale of the Sunbright and/or Sunspot rune-spells that originally launched the topic.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/15/2023 at 2:55 AM, Richard S. said:

Maybe it's a little narrower, say 6 meters, and manifests as a vertical column of light from Lightfore or some other celestial body, like a spotlight.

Even when underground?? Or inside?

Honestly, because it's coming from Yelmalio, and not Yelm, I can see why it's not direct sunlight. And, thus, a new spell such as Sunspot makes sense. (add to that the effects should do something to trolls- such as making them run away... again, that's Yelm in Hell - not Yelmalio on HoG)

• 2 weeks later...