protection magic and critical hits

Zalain

On 12/25/2023 at 11:46 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Many of our PCs have much higher Dodge than Parry. 

In any case, what I am suggesting is that a Martial Artist treat their highest defensive skill, under whatever name it was under older systems, as Dodge in RQG.

I get what you're saying, but...

(A - are you talking about in RQG?? And if so, B - are you referring to their primary melee weapon? Or just secondary/tertiary ones? Because, as you know, in RQG, Parry & Attack are the same skill and percentage)

Deflecting (parrying) a spear with a sword is basically done exactly the same way as deflecting with your arm. Dodging and parrying are clearly not the same thing.

Your point does make me think that perhaps the old 'Defence' skill be brought back, as a generic "this is how you stop getting hit in combat - other than specific parrying or dodging" - ie, basic footwork and keeping distance.

On 12/25/2023 at 12:39 PM, DreadDomain said:

I believe it is reasonable to assume that magic is NOT perfect and that protective magic is NOT flawless or without "small openings". Therefore It could be breached or bypassed through a masterful or lucky strike.

Honestly, that sounds like an ad hoc reason for why crits get through, rather than an intentional, categorical statement about magic in the world. (or, putting it another way - which came first? The 'protective magic isn't flawless' or the 'we need a reason for why crits get through such magics'?)

2 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Honestly, that sounds like an ad hoc reason for why crits get through, rather than an intentional, categorical statement about magic in the world. (or, putting it another way - which came first? The 'protective magic isn't flawless' or the 'we need a reason for why crits get through such magics'?)

I cannot speak for the design intent behind RQ's rule but for my post, it is clearly and unapologetically, "we need a reason for why crits get through protective magic so it sounds reasonable that protective magic isn't flawless".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

it is clearly and unapologetically, "we need a reason for why crits get through protective magic so it sounds reasonable that protective magic isn't flawless".

[Insert usual YG should V warning here.]

• magical protection doesn’t cover every hit location all the time — a small “shield” whirls about the protected person at some vast speed, so you cannot see any gaps and the odds are that it will intersect with the path of the weapon before it connects with flesh, but the holes are there all the same;
  • those whose weapons often find the gaps have their hands guided by the gods of :20-condition-luck: and should perhaps consider making the appropriate offerings if they want their luck to continue (although puritans may object on anti-:20-form-chaos: grounds)
    … but they may just swagger about arrogantly if they think it :20-condition-fate: (which seems oh-so-likely).

Spoiler

:20-form-chaos: eats everything, and protective magic is very tasty — like electric daisies, apparently.

Edited by mfbrandi
marginally reduced verbosity/stupidity
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

4 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I cannot speak for the design intent behind RQ's rule but for my post, it is clearly and unapologetically, "we need a reason for why crits get through protective magic so it sounds reasonable that protective magic isn't flawless".

That's fair.

Personally, I'd just change the rule instead. Perhaps I might make it only offer half protection against crits...

Edited by Shiningbrow

17 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

That's fair.

Personally, I'd just change the rule instead. Perhaps I might make it only offer half protection against crits...

In RQG, where rune magic is more common and reusable, our tanks frequently have something like Shield 5 and Prot 4 or 6.  16 points of magical armor, even halved, makes them immune to trollkin sling stones and (nearly) multi-missiled arrows.  If not halved, they would be immune to a lot.

I get here you are coming from, it sure seems like magic should protect, but be careful with changes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

In RQG, where rune magic is more common and reusable, our tanks frequently have something like Shield 5 and Prot 4 or 6.  16 points of magical armor, even halved, makes them immune to trollkin sling stones and (nearly) multi-missiled arrows.  If not halved, they would be immune to a lot.

I get here you are coming from, it sure seems like magic should protect, but be careful with changes.

Ok... so, would you ever put your PCs up against Harrek or Jar-Eel? If not, why not?

And then extend that to the power your PCs have against trollkin sling stones... Would you not actually agree that this makes sense? Because, your PC has actually worked for it! Shield 5 + Prot (IMHO) deserves to have that level of immunity!

Yes, I don't like the DnD higher levels being immune to the peasant rabble (or goblins, orcs, etc) either... but I do think that there should come a point where you invest all that time, effort, energy, and POWer to get some level of "you can't touch this". And at this point, we're heading into more epic, hero-level,  clashes... and the trollkin simply need to leave you alone with the ZZ Death Lords to handle.

• Like 1

Possible compromise: protection magic protects against crits *but* it reduces the damage to the minimum possible points of damage instead of zero.  

Although this means that a dagger would be more effective against magically armoured opponents than a sword for example.