Need some help designing a unit banner

pachristian

All - 

I'd like some help from an artistic, or at least heraldic-minded individual.

I run a game set in Pavis. The game is set in the 'classic' period of 1615-1621+. The characters have been adventuring together for several years. One player character, Dr. Rhonic, is very active in the cult of Pavis, and is likely to become Champion of Pavis soon. He is regarded as the leader of the team, and the team is known as "Rhonic's Rangers". After a recent adventure, the team was awarded a banner with a spirit. This banner now houses the team's Wyter

The story behind the banner is that it was the unit standard of a Pavic peltast unit during the Arrowsmith Dynasty. The standard was recovered from the rubble by adventurers, the spirit restored, and the banner awarded to the Rangers.

What I am trying to figure out is: What should the standard look like? I'm looking for a design that the players can use for a logo. Something they will appreciate, and will be appropriate both to the origin of the banner, and the current group of player-characters. (Which by the way include; a street punk from Pavis who became an accomplished doctor, despite not being a member of a healing cult, an Aristocratic Issaries merchant from the Ingoldi family, a Lhankor Mhy sage who likes to hang out with Storm Bulls and Bison Riders, and a Vingan from Tarsh, who bucked convention and became a shaman allied with a sentient darkness elemental.)

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

For a unit of peltasts, I'd think a javelin on the banner, and/or something to indicate speed/mobility... :20-power-movement:  or maybe a winged sandal ?

Invent some glorious victory, and include a symbol of it onto the banner imagery?

Honestly unclear how to represent the NEW group, however -- the PC's.  Maybe the wyter itself creates some part of the banner, based on the "feel" of them from the POW/MP sac's?  Whatever their greatest victory?

C'es ne pas un .sig

You can find a roster of artists who'd be happy to create Gloranthan masterpieces for your group for a reasonable fee via the Creators Helping Creators (CHC) Directory in the Files area of the Jonstown Compendium Creators' Circle group on Facebook. I'm sure they won't mind that this isn't for commercial publication: pecunia non olet.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2023 at 2:37 PM, pachristian said:

I run a game set in Pavis. The game is set in the 'classic' period of 1615-1621+. The characters have been adventuring together for several years. One player character, Dr. Rhonic, is very active in the cult of Pavis, and is likely to become Champion of Pavis soon. He is regarded as the leader of the team, and the team is known as "Rhonic's Rangers". After a recent adventure, the team was awarded a banner with a spirit. This banner now houses the team's Wyter

The story behind the banner is that it was the unit standard of a Pavic peltast unit during the Arrowsmith Dynasty. The standard was recovered from the rubble by adventurers, the spirit restored, and the banner awarded to the Rangers.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

I have a couple of suggestions:

Generally I favor either a Zebra Stripe as the back pattern, and/or a crenelated wall pattern, over yellow sand to mark the defensive  of Pavis.

The main action could be:

(a) a stylized crossbow with an obsidian tipped quarrel (Showing God Learner and Draconic origins).

(b) a faceless jolanti pitching a boulder like a rock (the faceless statue)

(c) a stylized large fist scattering Praxians off their mounts

(d) A dwarf presenting a human with a crossbow.

(e) three yellow fletched arrows entwined by a Water Serpent.  (we are Kuschile Archers associated with the Pavic Earth cult)

(f) a flying wyrm hurling a lightning bolt

(g) a trident (we are fishermen)

(h) a smiling mouth with golden teeth, except the front ones are missing. (We hate Jaldon)

Having the whole thing surmounted by a blue water dragon head a la Svenson's dragon head banner could look good and would represent the Zola Fel, whose fisherfolk were likely where the peltasts were drawn from.