A question about the Big Damn Book

Once upon a time the Big Damn Book was around and I remember that I had seen two versions of it, one was a single book of over 400 pages, and another was instead two books of about 150 pages each (called vol 1 and vol 2).
What was the difference between the two versions? Which was the definitive one (if there was a more 'official' one)?

I don't know about the Big Damn Book, but if you mean the BRP Big Gold Book (BGB) of 2008 it was always in one volume. It had a playtest print (which was missing some parts) and a final version that was published in softcover, hardback, POD with the exact same content.

Before that there were the BRP monographs (ugly tape-bound things with a random Stormbringer cover on them), but these were just a repackaging of RQ3 rules stripped of the Gloranthan bits. So, completely different content.

It's still around. Here's the Big Gold Book's product page at DriveThruRPG: print-on-demand (softcover) and digital versions are available.

(I got my funniest ever misprinted proof-print while creating the POD, due to some early-noughties legacy tech the Chaosium used back then to prepare its books for print; all cleared up since, of course, but it was hilarious at the time when the book arrived with everything printed out perfectly except for ZERO ARTWORK.)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, essere74 said:

Sorry, I explained badly, I really mean Big Damn Book OF MONSTER not the Big Gold Book

It's no longer hosted on this site. It was removed as it contained copyright images.

38 minutes ago, Scotty said:

It's no longer hosted on this site. It was removed as it contained copyright images.

yes of course, I read this in other posts and it is clear.
I just wanted to understand if those who had used it when it existed knew the differences, if there were any.
If it's not a good idea to talk about it then I'll drop the topic.

2 hours ago, essere74 said:

yes of course, I read this in other posts and it is clear.
I just wanted to understand if those who had used it when it existed knew the differences, if there were any.
If it's not a good idea to talk about it then I'll drop the topic.

The author should be able to help @tooley1chris.

• Like 1

The Big Damn Book of Monsters was a compilation of my older Monster books. I did make some changes from the older conversions to the newer because they made more sense or I just liked the updated versions better. I'd stick with newer versions but up to you...or change whatever you like to fit your game. 

I only made the conversion books to make it easier for Chroniclers to run games and hopefully introduce new players to BRP. Hope it helps in your game! 👍

• Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

1 hour ago, tooley1chris said:

... my older Monster books ...

Huh.  I think I was unaware of the pre-BDBoM books.

Would you be open to re-issuing the BDBoM (with new art, an OGL release up-front, and maybe a very-few deletions of whatever entries are most-likely to draw ire (and fire)?

I bet folks would be willing to pay for that...  Which would fund some art!  🙂

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 minutes ago, g33k said:

Huh.  I think I was unaware of the pre-BDBoM books.

Would you be open to re-issuing the BDBoM (with new art, an OGL release up-front, and maybe a very-few deletions of whatever entries are most-likely to draw ire (and fire)?

I bet folks would be willing to pay for that...  Which would fund some art!  🙂

I've thought about this but it contains SO MANY monsters. Its almost all the critters from D&Ds Monster Manuals I & II, Fiend Folio, and some various others. Would take forever just for art alone and I'm not sure sales would break even. I could rewrite the descriptions (as a lot of that is copy/paste) but...

What a project. 

Was never my intention to publish or even make a dime off of them. No "donations" either. Just make something to make games easier 

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 1

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects