Cult vs Tribe - the dynamics of relationships and passions

glarkhag

I'd like to get some views on how well received cultists from one tribe or clan would be in the temples of another tribe or clan. Does tribal/clan prejudice get put aside or does it create intra-cult politics?

Specifically, I have characters from the Varmandi clan planning to travel to Two Fort Ridge via Greenstone. Two of the characters are Earth cultists and it seems likely that they might want to pay their respects at the Earth temple there. I don't have a sense for whether typically the tribal rivalry would create tension or cult association would trump that. And further still there is the idea that the cult might demand equal treatment but of course not everyone does what is expected of them...

Generally if you approach in a friendly way, say the proper greetings and accept hospitality, you will be welcomed at either temple. Basically, you have to make it clear you are visiting, not raiding.

Note that of course you wouldn't be able to freely learn any clan-specific magic the temple has without joining the clan, by adoption or marriage.

• Like 2

Varmandi are in a state of feud with the Orlevings who control the valley Greenstone occupies, which makes pilgrimages or passage quite problematic unless they follow a non-feuding leader as sworn followers (if only for the trip). You don't usually grant hospitality to feuding foes, except when they come under emissary signs.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

12 minutes ago, Joerg said:

Varmandi are in a state of feud with the Orlevings who control the valley Greenstone occupies, which makes pilgrimages or passage quite problematic unless they follow a non-feuding leader as sworn followers (if only for the trip). You don't usually grant hospitality to feuding foes, except when they come under emissary signs.

when did this feud begin? I'm playing in 1615...

3 minutes ago, glarkhag said:

ok seen the reference for this - a long time ago!

The Varmandi have a very long history as a war clan, and battling the Malani tribe (and particularly the Orleving clan). The Varmandi are now a poor shadow of what they once were. 

You might find the "A New Hero" live play videos of interest for your situation. See: RuneQuest - A New Hero

The heroes are Varmandi, and they end up having to go to and help the Greenbrass temple. Think there was a harvest contest involved which is one excuse for allowing passage even between feuding clans.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, glarkhag said:

I'd like to get some views on how well received cultists from one tribe or clan would be in the temples of another tribe or clan. Does tribal/clan prejudice get put aside or does it create intra-cult politics?

Whichever is most fun!

Some cults operate across clan/tribal boundaries but some operate within those boundaries. Orlanthi are strongly tied to their clan and tribe, so travelling to a rival clan/tribe causes the locals to look at them and, perhaps, ask kindly or challenge them as to what they are doing there. Other cults, such as Humakt or Storm Bull, operate independently of clan/tribe and welcome people from other clans/tribes.

Of course, individuals can have strong Passions and they can influence how they treat outsiders.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

There is a strong motivation to allow friendly strangers to visit temples, the more people who worship at a temple, the closer the god is to the temple, and the greater the magic worshippers at the temple can access.

Of course any fear the stranger might be hostile would trump this motivation to bring the god closer with more worship.

• Like 1