Humakt's power over undeath

Geoff R Evil

In a recent game the GM allowed me to defend versus a vampire or daughter of darkness sorceror, not sure which, by presenting my death rune strongly at the creature to hold it off. Then using the death rune to disrupt it without having to overcome its POW and not using any of my mp.  Of course the creature could have run away and indeed tried to do so by turning into smoke. But My sylph whirled around it to hold it in place while I disrupted it to nothing.

Question: I know somewhere in my dim and distant past I remember reading something like this power over undeath. But I cannot find it now, can anyone link me to the content as I want to be able to understand Humakts power over undeath properly.

Edited by Nick Brooke
Requested

33 minutes ago, Geoff R Evil said:

Question: I know somewhere in my dim and distant past I remember reading something like this power over undeath. But I cannot find it now, can anyone link me to the content as I want to be able to understand Humakts power over undeath properly.

Cults of Terror p51-52

Vivamort was a renegade from Death, as are many of his followers renegades from various Death cults. Vampires are greatly affected by the determined presentation of the Death Rune by one consecrated (Initiate or higher) to a Death cult. The Rune causes damage on touch and acts as a focus for a highly effective Disrupt spell. Forceful display of the Rune gains the individual a measure of personal protection from vampires and a method of attack also. Vampires will usually not directly attack the presenter, but may order Initiates, allied spirits, or available skeletons, zombies, etc., to do so. 

• Like 2

Ah thank you, I have Cults of Terror. I knew I had read it somewhere. Wonder how to interpret “highly effective disrupt” sounds like you need to cast the spell, but through the death rune focus it does more damage, either max damage of 3 or maybe double damage 2d3, thoughts?

Edited by Geoff R Evil

• Nick Brooke changed the title to Humakt's power over undeath
On 2/9/2024 at 8:29 PM, Geoff R Evil said:

Humakti know that they can use the Death Rune against Vampires. Humakt was the first wielder of Death and so has powers of Death. It doesn't say how Humakt gained powers against Undead, but he clearly does (Presenting the Death Rune, Detect Undead, Turn Undead) and I play that some Humakti can get the Sense Undead skill, in the same way that they can get Sense Assassin.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Hi @soltakss in latest lightbringer Humakt definition you can get a detect undead via concentration only, but I I agree a sense undead skill might make more sense to reduce its power.

From the Bestiary I think the final interpretation should be:

1. Strong presentation of the death rune means undeath creatures cannot approach you, I think it might make sense to also mean they cannot enthrall you as they cannot meet your gaze, if that’s their method

2. you can damage undead for 1d3 UNREGENERATABLE damage, that’s why it’s extra powerful

3. you do not need to know the disrupt spell, it’s a death rune ability

4. you do not need to succeed in POW vs MP

The net effect is that I undeath creatures will truly be scared by death rune cultists, rules don’t make this Humakt specific, it seems any death cultist has this ability reading the Bestiary, which is slightly strange but answers @soltakss question as to the source of Humakts ability…it’s not a Humakt ability, it’s an inherent power of the death rune.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I would however ask a rune death roll for the « strong presentation of the death rune »

i would even accept a passion roll if the player would like to not use their death rune. 
But at least something to « prove » the determination 

Totally agree

On 2/11/2024 at 7:08 PM, Geoff R Evil said:

The net effect is that I undeath creatures will truly be scared by death rune cultists, rules don’t make this Humakt specific, it seems any death cultist has this ability reading the Bestiary, which is slightly strange but answers @soltakss question as to the source of Humakts ability…it’s not a Humakt ability, it’s an inherent power of the death rune.

That would make the unlife of ZZ revenants (and zombies and skeletons) really difficult... They'd have a strong aversion to going into their sacred space (like temples). Or to their associate's temples (Stormbull).

What I'm getting at is - I do think it more appropriate for it to be a Humakt thing, and not simply a 'death cult' thing.

• Helpful 1

Good point @Shiningbrow, the Bestiary entry does make the power perhaps too widely accessible, and as you say for Zorak Zoran it just does not make sense.

Maybe the disorder rune for ZZ means ZZ does not get this effect, because it’s more aligned as a power with the strongly lawful types of cults. But then what about Stormbull…feels wrong there too if ZZ is disavowed access to the power, but they are not associated with the disorder rune. What about Ygg? Waha? Neither are exactly considered as cults enforcing law, just anti chaos, not the same thing.

So I am feeling like you it should be a Humakt only focussed power.

Maybe there should be a weaker version for the other death cults? Maybe just the rune presentation stops the undead approaching you…might make sense for ZZ in that context as a control tool over the undead they create.