Do Vingan Durulz dye their feathers red?

24 minutes ago, MoreTimeThanSense said:

So, one of my players asked me the above question and it got me wondering if there's any official word/artwork either way?

IMG I'd probably say yes, but just the head, but I could see them just going ham and dying everything. What about your Glorantha?

In my Glorantha Vingan Ducks dye only the feathers on upper half of their head. 

It is the same with humans. I don´t belive that a natural brown haired sartarite human will dye the hair in their arm pits, their eye lashes or their eyebrows. It is only the hair on the top of your head that needs to be dyed red. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:09 AM, MoreTimeThanSense said:

So, one of my players asked me the above question and it got me wondering if there's any official word/artwork either way?

IMG I'd probably say yes, but just the head, but I could see them just going ham and dying everything. What about your Glorantha?

Yes, but only on their heads.  Some of them wear red wigs.  They make for some very funny looking zombies when they get sent to Delecti.

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:09 PM, MoreTimeThanSense said:

Yes, why wouldn't they?

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Posted (edited)
On 3/21/2024 at 7:09 AM, soltakss said:

Yes,. why wouldn't they?

The logic was that as they don't have 'hair' they can't dye it. Since feathers aren't 'hair' that specific cultural rule might not apply.  Though Gloranthan gods (Mostly) being less rules lawyery and different groups having different interpretations I could see both yes and no being true in the same setting.

Either way I am still curious if there's any official artwork of a red headed duck.

Edited by MoreTimeThanSense

1 hour ago, MoreTimeThanSense said:

Gloranthan gods (Mostly) being less rules lawyery

While I agree with you that the gods should be "reasonable", many others here, with rich pedigrees, argue that the gods, being locked in Time, have no free will, and no ability to "think" or "be reasonable".  Therefore, the gods really are rules lawyers.

For example, if somebody forces (or tricks) Nameless Humakti into eating cooked broccoli, then Nameless has broken her geas.  Whether that somebody has gotten far enough away to survive, not so sure...  🙂

YGMV - I would probably not do this to one of my PCs.  Except to a Duck.  No Vinga for you!

On a slightly related topic, my human Vingan recently disguised herself by wearing a black wig.  Her hair was still dyed red, so we think this was legal.  If not totally Truthful.  Fortunately, her Truth Rune is on the low side anyway...

4 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

...  On a slightly related topic, my human Vingan recently disguised herself by wearing a black wig.  Her hair was still dyed red, so we think this was legal.  If not totally Truthful.  Fortunately, her Truth Rune is on the low side anyway...

???
But Orlanth is the "I can do anything better than you" god, and has a Trickster aspect.

Covering up with a wig is   100%  in Orlanth's wheelhouse!

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 12:46 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

While I agree with you that the gods should be "reasonable", many others here, with rich pedigrees, argue that the gods, being locked in Time, have no free will, and no ability to "think" or "be reasonable".  Therefore, the gods really are rules lawyers.

Oh I'd never say they were 'reasonable', some of their escapades in the god time would put paid to that notion. Just not sure how many exact wording scenarios we'd be dealing with.

I can't find it atm, but I recall seeing somewhere that oaths sworn in Humakt's name take the spirit into consideration more than the wording, I could be misremembering though.

Edited by MoreTimeThanSense