Best one-shot scenario for BRP?

What, in your opinion, is the best (non-Glorantha, non-COC) adventure for BRP that can be run as a one-and-done in about four hours or so?

Pre-gens for the players aren't strictly required, but would admittedly be useful.

Bonus points if the scenario shows off several of the options that BRP has to offer.

To my knowledge, there really aren’t that many BRP adventures out there,  particularly if you limit them to a specific genre like fantasy. But of the ones I know, In Search of the Trollslayer is awesome. It’s a dungeon but it’s well done and tuned to BRP. I don’t remember if it had pre-gens…

• Helpful 1

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

The old BRP QuickStart or here has a bunch of short adventures in different genres (at least one is fantasy iirc) and most would work as one shots and at least some have pre-gens: I wrote 2, and they both do. It’s not 100% BRP:UGE compatible, but it’s entirely usable with the latter.

As regards fantasy specifically: I recently adapted Richard Watts seminal “Curse of Chardros” for Magical World as Ancient Shadows”, which is pretty much (but again, not 100%) compatible with BRP:UGE (and the Sorcery power system), but has no pregens. I bothered to convert it because I really rate it as a intro / starter scenario.

User Hexelis posted a conversion of the old 1982 Magic World scenario “Vault of Sarkanth Han” to the more recent edition here: again, no pre-gens and not 100% but close to with BRP:UGE and specifically its Sorcery powers system.

Edited by NickMiddleton
  • Helpful 1

7 hours ago, Perry Holley said:

What, in your opinion, is the best (non-Glorantha, non-COC) adventure for BRP that can be run as a one-and-done in about four hours or so?

Pre-gens for the players aren't strictly required, but would admittedly be useful.

Bonus points if the scenario shows off several of the options that BRP has to offer.

I just checked. The Trollslayer adventure includes six pre-gens.

• Helpful 1

7 hours ago, Perry Holley said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Trollslayer looks good, although I'm not certain if it could be finished in about four hours or not.

Yeah, it might be close. Honestly I doubt we ran it in 4 hours (don’t remember- it’s been 8 or 9 years), but it’s low on narratives and the closest adventure I could think of you to your specs.

• Helpful 1

On 5/1/2024 at 4:47 PM, Perry Holley said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Trollslayer looks good, although I'm not certain if it could be finished in about four hours or not.

Trollslayer is pretty good.

I keep wanting to say...its one that I wrote... but I won't as my one-off scenarios tended to go on for months.. or years ...and there are no pre-get characters .. so it doesn't fit criteria

Seriously though, there is a general lack of scenarios for BR:UGE, if you don't include CoC and if you're not writing your own, so it is difficult to maintain a campaign.

I would add  @hix's Loudun Burning.. not sure it could be done in 4 hours.. but its fun, very different and deadly.. and as a GM, you get to do a lot of silly voices. I haven't run it..but I will soon

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nozbat said:

I keep wanting to say...its one that I wrote... but I won't as my one-off scenarios tended to go on for months.. or years ...and there are no pre-get characters .. so it doesn't fit criteria

Seriously though, there is a general lack of scenarios for BR:UGE, if you don't include CoC and if you're not writing your own, so it is difficult to maintain a campaign.

I would add  @hix's Loudun Burning.. not sure it could be done in 4 hours.. but its fun, very different and deadly.. and as a GM, you get to do a lot of silly voices. I haven't run it..but I will soon

@Nozbat are any of you’’r scenarios published?

14 minutes ago, rsanford said:

@Nozbat are any of you’’r scenarios published?

No.. they're all installed in chaotic notes and scribbles and presently in a storage facility along with the Arc of the Covenant and the lost Plays of Euripides  .. but I might do something for the BR:UGE challenge.. an historic fantasy setting set in Brugge .. and even if that doesn't work out .. We may publish it anyways. 

The Anglo-Saxon campaign I wrote up as a blog and it tended to allow the players free rein in what they did or did not do and often they chose not to interact with what I'd written or decided to do as they did not feel it was in their interest to do so. It would be possible to re-construct easily enough. 

The present 1520 campaign has moved to Antwerpen but was originally in Lüneberg having shifted there when the players decided to find their father rather than maintain their Salt Merchanting. Bloody players. A lot of that material could be used for Brugge too with some tweaks.. so you might see some published in the future. 

I'm happy to share ideas with anyone who wants more info though

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nozbat said:

No.. they're all installed in chaotic notes and scribbles and presently in a storage facility along with the Arc of the Covenant and the lost Plays of Euripides  .. but I might do something for the BR:UGE challenge.. an historic fantasy setting set in Brugge .. and even if that doesn't work out .. We may publish it anyways. 

The Anglo-Saxon campaign I wrote up as a blog and it tended to allow the players free rein in what they did or did not do and often they chose not to interact with what I'd written or decided to do as they did not feel it was in their interest to do so. It would be possible to re-construct easily enough. 

The present 1520 campaign has moved to Antwerpen but was originally in Lüneberg having shifted there when the players decided to find their father rather than maintain their Salt Merchanting. Bloody players. A lot of that material could be used for Brugge too with some tweaks.. so you might see some published in the future. 

I'm happy to share ideas with anyone who wants more info though

Both of those sound great!

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 10:11 AM, Nozbat said:

Thanks for the boost @Nozbat. My favorite one-shot is in BRP Adventures, in the Monograph series. It's called Daybreak Tomorrow, and it's about survival in the aftermath of a nuke. Cool ideas, a strong scenario setup (gotta make it back home, a 270 mile trip), and it does a good job telling you how to run it, I learned a lot from this one.

Are the Monograph books still available? I don't see them on the store.

Edited by hix

1 hour ago, hix said:

Are the Monograph books still available? I don't see them on the store.

Sadly they aren't, at least not the vast majority of them. Some of them have been republished in the Miskatonic Repository and Jonstown Compendium, but currently there is not a similar fan program for BRP.

Was Daybreak Tomorrow the name of the monograph, or the one–shot you're speaking of?

SDLeary

11 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Was Daybreak Tomorrow the name of the monograph, or the one–shot you're speaking of?

DT is a one-shot in the monograph BRP Adventures.

• Thanks 1