Where can I find stats block for Automaton?

Posted (edited)

Not sure I’m following you. Are you referring to things like clockwork automaton? If so, I understand that Cakebread & Walton’’s book Clockwork and Chivalry has rules for clockwork inventions including vehicles and wondrous devices that might include stat blocks. Note, I could be wrong, as I don’t have the book. Can anyone else  verify?

Edited by rsanford

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Pao said:

Same as the title.

What sort of automaton? What context: historical, steampunk, fantasy?

Magic World has a set of “enchanted Clockwork animals” (page 226). BRP:UGE has some stats for Robots (page 239) that could be adapted.

Edited by NickMiddleton
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Given that the OP used "Automaton" (with leading CAP) it may be a proper name, i.e. a specific character/species/etc in some piece of media...?

A quick search online finds it used in Genshin Impact, for example.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Posted (edited)

Depending on the scale of your automaton, any rules for a mech, combat suit or ship could apply. FWIW, the BRP ruleset has a whole set of combat vehicles on p 184 (v1.03) that might be adapted. See also the small robot section on p183. See also cyborg on p 240.

For smaller automata, there is the rich tradition of finding a mundane monster and reusing its stat block, modifying description to something more robotic.

Everything is in the end an Orc.™

Sometimes, reskinning can be inspiring. You could use the werewolf stat block and keep some of the more unusual bits, such as the bite of a robot turns you into a robot. This would be memorable and hardly an overused SciFi trope!  I can imagine the creepy metamorphosis scene already, as struts, sensors or medical probes erupt from your flesh.  After some time, your flesh slowly peels away to reveal a hardened metal exterior with chrome accents, and included bumper sticker that reads "I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.", letting the party know this robot will be minimally friendly or helpful.

Edited by Ian Ollmann
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 1:11 AM, Ian Ollmann said:

Sometimes, reskinning can be inspiring. You could use the werewolf stat block and keep some of the more unusual bits, such as the bite of a robot turns you into a robot. This would be memorable and hardly an overused SciFi trope!  I can imagine the creepy metamorphosis scene already, as struts, sensors or medical probes erupt from your flesh. 

Tetsuo: the Iron Man!

It is all the fault of Jackson and Livingstone