Timelines for future disasters?

Nevermet

Hi

Are there "official" dates for the Great Flood and the Reforestation? KoS states the flood is (maybe) in 1652, and I can't find any timeline information about the Reforestation at all. I realize these are not the most important questions in many ways, but I'm curious what's "official." That way I can follow it or not with some intention.

Posted (edited)

Imma go with 1652 for the Flood ....

My vision of the Reforestation is rather different.  Much longer-duration (likely lasting decades); this is how trees grow & spread.

The forests themselves would be highly variable -- evergreens here, deciduous there, talltrees in this place, scrub in that place, etc etc etc.  Location variable too, striking in seemingly-random places, with no discernable pattern (except growth during growing season) throughout Glorantha:  near the sea, up in mountains, in civilized places, in grasslands, etc.

Edited by g33k
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

Yeah, I was more confident about the flood date than the Reforestation.

I'm currently working off the assumption it happens before the Flood (maybe the 1630s?), but it probably wouldn't deeply impact Argrath / Sartar related campaigns, except for western Esrolia.

On 5/24/2024 at 5:04 PM, Nevermet said:

I was more confident about the flood date than the Reforestation.

If you consider the Grove of Green Rock scenario in Pegasus Plateau as one place of many all performing the same or similar ritual to launch the Great Reforestation, that puts the final Sacred Time event in 1631 and a likely start to the full reforestation in 1632.

Given repeated entries in the Guide for multiple regions in the Hero Wars Begins entries (and that those represent the starting events of the Hero Wars), I'm targeting the 1630's as the launch point for this in Maniria, parts of Peloria, Fronela, and Ralios. 

• Thanks 1

First, thanks for reminding me about Pegasus Plateau.

Second, I agree the Reforestation really alters things and "sets the stage" for other Hero War events.  At its most basic, it makes overland travel through Maniria or to the Sweet Sea extremely difficult.  That will insulate, for lack of a better word, Fronela and Safelster from a lot of the Hero Wars of central Genertela. (Eastern Ralios will still have to deal with Dorastor)

As far as I can tell, the Manirian Hero Wars are about the Reforestation and the Flood centrally.  It's not about 5 Arkats, or Argrath, or Seshnela.  It's about the remnants of a cataclysm 600 years ago being threatened by 2 more cataclysms.  How everyone deals with that or tries to survive is the question.

7 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

As far as I can tell, the Manirian Hero Wars are about the Reforestation and the Flood centrally.  It's not about 5 Arkats, or Argrath, or Seshnela.  It's about the remnants of a cataclysm 600 years ago being threatened by 2 more cataclysms.  How everyone deals with that or tries to survive is the question.

I think that one can go a bit further - all of the Genertelan Hero Wars are about the remnants of cataclysms 1200 and 600 years ago trying to survive in different ways.

• Helpful 1

Posted (edited)

Truly, in Glorantha, it is turtles survivors of cataclysms all the way down.

The Manirians are staring the Reforestation in the face, 

After dealing with the fall of Graymayne,

After dealing with the collapse of the Manirian Road

After dealing with the sinking of Slontos

After dealing with the Closing

After dealing with the madness of the late Godlearners

After dealing with the Lopers

After dealing with the Gbaji Wars

After dealing with the post-Vathmai civil wars...

And that's just after the Dawn.

And its about that bad give or take everywhere.

Edited by Nevermet

On 5/24/2024 at 10:49 PM, Nevermet said:

Hi

Are there "official" dates for the Great Flood and the Reforestation? KoS states the flood is (maybe) in 1652, and I can't find any timeline information about the Reforestation at all. I realize these are not the most important questions in many ways, but I'm curious what's "official." That way I can follow it or not with some intention.

The start of one sub-plot of the Reforestation is the third scenario in The Smoking Ruin. You can have the same scenario with different opposition elsewhere - the aldryami apparently need or at least want to establish dryad groves for this plot.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, Nevermet said:

Truly, in Glorantha, it is turtles survivors of cataclysms all the way down.

The Manirians are staring the Reforestation in the face, 

After dealing with the fall of Graymayne,

After dealing with the collapse of the Manirian Road

After dealing with the sinking of Slontos

After dealing with the Closing

After dealing with the madness of the late Godlearners

After dealing with the Lopers

After dealing with the Gbaji Wars

After dealing with the post-Vathmai civil wars...

And that's just after the Dawn.

And its about that bad give or take everywhere.

Or dealing with the rise of Greymane and his fall. The collapse of the Manirian Road is not final, it just becomes less important. Keep in mind that the Waertagi from Hell have already established themselves in the Quinpolic League and are going to continue their domination eastward - next target the Mournsea.

Ramalia is going to offer God Learner (and/or Vadeli) sorcery to deal with some of the Reforestation.

The Flood may solve a lot of the upcoming Reforestation problems, if only by removing survivors troubled by that.

• Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Nevermet said:

Second, I agree the Reforestation really alters things and "sets the stage" for other Hero War events.  At its most basic, it makes overland travel through Maniria or to the Sweet Sea extremely difficult. 

It makes for an interesting dilemma in Esrolia as your access to goods from Ralios/Safelster is suddenly cut off (and there are already issues with the sea routes). Do you negotiate passage with the elves? Do you ally trolls from the Shadow Plateau to eat/chop their way through? Do you summon Oakfed? Do you call upon Lodril to raise Slontos and perhaps gain a new route that bypasses the forest? Or ally the dwarves of Gemborg and use toxic agents to destroy the Growth? 

8 hours ago, Nevermet said:

As far as I can tell, the Manirian Hero Wars are about the Reforestation and the Flood centrally. 

I'd include attempts to raise/awaken Slonta in the equation (perhaps simply as a route past the forests, perhaps as a bulwark against a future flood). 

And while Greymane is gone, that opens up the possibility of a new Orlanthi leader (possibly of the PC variety) to emerge to save the Solanthi/Ditali from being smothered by the elves. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

Or dealing with the rise of Greymane and his fall. The collapse of the Manirian Road is not final, it just becomes less important. Keep in mind that the Waertagi from Hell have already established themselves in the Quinpolic League and are going to continue their domination eastward - next target the Mournsea.

Ramalia is going to offer God Learner (and/or Vadeli) sorcery to deal with some of the Reforestation.

The Flood may solve a lot of the upcoming Reforestation problems, if only by removing survivors troubled by that.

This is the silver lining about Gloranthan cataclysms: There are almost always survivors, and you can always do something to increase that number.

6 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It makes for an interesting dilemma in Esrolia as your access to goods from Ralios/Safelster is suddenly cut off (and there are already issues with the sea routes). Do you negotiate passage with the elves? Do you ally trolls from the Shadow Plateau to eat/chop their way through? Do you summon Oakfed? Do you call upon Lodril to raise Slontos and perhaps gain a new route that bypasses the forest? Or ally the dwarves of Gemborg and use toxic agents to destroy the Growth?

Amusingly, I think your have the order of attempts more or less correct 🙂

I suppose its also a question of who is it a priority for.  The the elite of Dizbos care vs Rhigos vs all of Esrolia, you'll get different, and more dramatic, effects.

Either way, it definitely will disrupt & disconnect.

• Like 1