Coins weight (and a little complaint)

Zalain

Posted (edited)

hello all,

Question is simple:  but how much ENC for coins??

how i calcultate the ENC if my thief runs away with a bag full of coins or my adventurers try to go out from a casttle with a chest?

I havent found nothing about coins weight in "Weapons and Equipment" Glorantha supplement. Book which I find imprecise and lacking in details, as for example:

Purse: A leather pouch for storage of coins and small valuables, either worn tucked into or laced onto the belt, or hung about the neck. These are generally small, rarely larger than a fist, due to the weight a larger one would create. (Common Goods: Weapons and Equipment pg20)

Maybe the good thing of that lack of details is precisely i can give those details.

If it is not told anywhere, would be 100coins= 1ENC too much? (no matter if wheels, lunars, clacks or bolgos)

thank you in advance,

Edited by Zalain

Posted (edited)

The Gloranthan coins from Campaign Coins (https://campaigncoins.com/collections/all/products/runequest-coins-sample-pack-1-4) are not made out of copper, silver and gold, but for what it´s worth: 

Clack = 3,28 gram
Lunar = 3,67 gram

RQG core rulebook p. 151: 

160 clacks = 1 ENC 
160 lunars = 1 ENC

So roughly one to two pounds of coins seem to be correct for one point ENC. 

Edited by AndreJarosch

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

The Gloranthan coins from Campaign Coins (https://campaigncoins.com/collections/all/products/runequest-coins-sample-pack-1-4) are not made out of copper, silver and gold, but for what it´s worth:

Those coins seems awesome!!

2 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

RQG core rulebook p. 151:

THANK YOU very much, i wasnt looking in the correct book.

Posted (edited)

Also note that "ENC" is an intentionally-vague term.

It's not meant to be precise!

7 hours ago, AndreJarosch said:

... Clack = 3,28 gram
Lunar = 3,67 gram ... 

<spit-takes>

YGMV, but if you're tracking encumbrance in RQ to the 1/100 of a gram... I'm gonna ask about your background playing CoC, and question your SAN...

😉

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

The Guide says that lunars and clacks weight around 0.2 troy oz, so 6.22 g, that is, 160 coins (1 ENC according to the rule book) weight around 1kg.
Wheels weight 0.36 troy oz, so 11.20 g, that is, 100 coins (1 ENC according to the rulebook) weight a little more than 1 kg, namely 1.120 kg.

For other coins one can use 1 ENC = around 1 kg of coins.

For example, the denarius, a Roman silver coin, did weight 1/84 of a roman pound during the republic, so around 3.9 g, that is, around 250 of these (smaller) coins would weight 1 kg and be equivalent to 1 ENC.

On 5/28/2024 at 1:11 PM, Ludo Bagman said:

The Guide says that lunars and clacks weight around 0.2 troy oz, so 6.22 g, that is, 160 coins (1 ENC according to the rule book) weight around 1kg.
Wheels weight 0.36 troy oz, so 11.20 g, that is, 100 coins (1 ENC according to the rulebook) weight a little more than 1 kg, namely 1.120 kg.

For other coins one can use 1 ENC = around 1 kg of coins.

For example, the denarius, a Roman silver coin, did weight 1/84 of a roman pound during the republic, so around 3.9 g, that is, around 250 of these (smaller) coins would weight 1 kg and be equivalent to 1 ENC.

In RQG a normal person with STR and CON 10 can carry a 64kg person without penalties, but if they try to carry 11kg of coins they will get penalties.

The book is precious popen about this, ans so is its predecessor; The" things" encumbrance meaduer Is eant to take into account bolth weight and size or clumsiness.   

So attempting to reduce it to weight along is imposing your preference and ignoring Steve Perrin"s.   There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that.  House rule it if you eant, but don't  hide from your players that you are teaching them something non standard.  

And don't pretend that you haven't introduced as many problems as you solved.  How will you deal with the character who wants to carry 12 balloons plus two pikes, a crossbow, and a garden hose?  The weight is beatable by an ordinary person. but how do you actually fit your arms around that in the real world?

4 minutes ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

...  How will you deal with the character who wants to carry 12 balloons plus two pikes, a crossbow, and a garden hose? ...

<peers suspiciously at Sten>

That sounds remarkably like you're proposing ... <voice darkens ominously> a Eurmali character ...

C'es ne pas un .sig