Microlite RuneQuest

Daxos232

There is a RPG rule system called "Microlite 20 Purest Essence" which takes the D&D ruleset and shrinks it down to 17 pages.

It does cut away quite a bit of content from the original but its a fully playable game, with simple, fast rules, in under 20 pages, which I think is really cool.

If your unfamiliar with it check it out, even if your not a fan of D&D its kinda cool that they were able to condense it so much.

I'm wondering if something similar could be created for RuneQuest. I always liked the RQ system, but when introducing it to new people I have found it hard to explain every detail and feature, and a little slow to get a game up and running with new characters.

I have been tossing ideas around in my head for awhile and I'm slowly starting to put some stuff down on paper.

MircoliteRQ

Characteristics

Strength(STR)

Dexterity(DEX)

Constitution(CON)

Size(SIZ)

Intelligence(INT)

Power(POW)

Charisma(CHA)

Common Skills

Athletics(DEX+STR)

Communication(INT+CHA)

Deception(DEX+INT)

Endurance(CONx2)

Focus(INT+POW)

Melee Combat(STR+DEX)

Ranged Combat(DEXx2)

Advanced Skills

Craft(DEX+INT)

Healing(DEX+INT)

Language(INT+CHA)

Lore(INTx2)

Ride/Drive(INT+POW)

Survival(CON+INT)

Streetwise(INT+CHA)

Mircolite20 reduces all the characteristics and skills of D&D to 3 (or 4 depending on version) characteristics and 4 skills.

I don't know if you could condense the skills in RQ quite like that but above is my first attempt. I don't know how more advanced subjects

like magic might be handled yet.

Any thoughts?

Yes. Years ago there was a 16 page booket called Basic Role Playing which pared down the RQ rules to the essentials. That booklet, or something like it would still work today. The basic game mechanics behind the system really hasn't changed a lot. There is an opposed roll mechanic now, and custom crticals, but the rest is basically the same. Yeah a few formulas have changed, but a 16-20 page intro version would be quite possible.

It would work good as a intro or for a quick rule reference, but historically, gamers tend to move up to the full system, and the into booklets fade. Once they get the basics down, the shift to the full system is fairly easy and the added features make it worth it. Plus the mini versions don't have much support if any.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Guest Vile Traveller

I suppose RQ6 could create a version of the old BRP booklet, but you'd have to ask what the purpose would be - there is very little that is not setting related, so once you take out magic, creatures, etc. the "microlight" rules have limited utility. That's what i think, anyway - what do I know! :P

I am coming around to the view that a slim "player's handbook" is a good idea, though, especially in a magic-rich game or one which has quite complex character generation (like RuneQuest).

A mini BRP/RQ6 comparable to the scope and coverage of Mini Six would also be feasible. The amount of content covered in a few pages is impressive. Found here: Mini Six at AntiPaladin Games.

Given that the license used for both Mini Six and MRQ/OQ is the same (OGL) one could use the layout of Mini Six and transpose the rules and stats with MRQ/OQ equivalents (and keep the same page layout).

Edited by dragonewt

Guest Vile Traveller

I think you should really look at the original BRP booklet. If you strip out all the introductory text, examples and sample adventure, you could get it down to one or two pages.

I suppose RQ6 could create a version of the old BRP booklet, but you'd have to ask what the purpose would be -

I think it could work as an introduction, and if the lite version didn't alter the rules much, it could be used as a reference book.

there is very little that is not setting related, so once you take out magic, creatures, etc. the "microlight" rules have limited utility. That's what i think, anyway - what do I know! :P

Don't take the magic out. I think that some basic magic rules could be condensed down to 2 pages or so (1 page for rules and the second page for a spell list).

Years ago, when RQ2 was still around, a company produced Fantasy Paths, boxed sets. These were boxes of tiles (think dungeon tiles). But included with the tiles were a copy of BRP, monster counters, and a mini-adventure with gave a possible layout for using the tiles, and a trimmed down spell list of RQ2 battle magic.

The thing was just about right for what you needed to run a bare bones version of RQ2. If they had added a few world detail bits like they did with Magic World, it could have worked as a stand alone RPG. Assuming a 2-4 page magic system and 2-4 pages on creatures and a page on setting and economics could do the job. Or even a series of micro-supplements (micro-creatures, micro-magic).

I am coming around to the view that a slim "player's handbook" is a good idea, though, especially in a magic-rich game or one which has quite complex character generation (like RuneQuest).

Yeah, it does help. Players can look up stuff more easily during play, and it helps with mutiple people generating characters at the same time.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Stripped-down rules supplements like these are great, but they're much harder to produce than you might think.

For RQ6 we'd have to pare away a lot of what makes RQ6 the game it is; or condense the material to a point where it becomes difficult to use. Magic is a case in point; combat is another.

You also need to write such rules from the ground-up. Its incredibly tough to just remove large swathes of text and hope that it all fits neatly together and, crucially, makes sense. That takes time, and its time taken away from other, more pressing projects.

I'm not dismissing the idea at all; just noting that the effort involved is more substantial than it might first appear. For that reason, its not something that's on our list of priorities. Of course, if anyone out there wants to take a stab at it, drop me a PM and we can talk further.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

I think I remember the BRP 16 page booklet before. I might have found it in the downloads somewhere,

but I can't seem to find it now.

It would work good as a intro or for a quick rule reference, but historically,

gamers tend to move up to the full system, and the into booklets fade. Once

they get the basics down, the shift to the full system is fairly easy and the

added features make it worth it. Plus the mini versions don't have much support

if any.

That's true, the Microlite20 rules has had dozens of reinterpretations in its pdf download, but the forums

aren't that populated.

To keep from re-inventing the wheel, consider this former discussion:

Wow that's a good link, I have only read the first page so far but

I might be able to just use this. Thanks seneschal.

I'm not dismissing the idea at all; just noting that the effort involved is more

substantial than it might first appear. For that reason, its not something

that's on our list of priorities. Of course, if anyone out there wants to

take a stab at it, drop me a PM and we can talk further.

The idea really was just as a side project I wanted to work on, for myself and maybe to share.

I enjoy all those files that others have posted in the downloads section, and I

always wanted to contribute something. I'm going to take a stab at it, but I don't think

it will be Design Mechanism level quality, but we'll see.

The BRP Quickstart rules look very promising, I like the scenarios at the end that cover a variety of settings.

I also stumbled upon RetroQuest D100 in the downloads section, along with its reference to GORE for magic, which sounds good as well. The RetroQuest also mentions some kind of RetroQuest Magic book of its own, but it does not appear to be in the downloads.

I might just use one of these three instead of crafting my own from scratch.

Edited by Daxos232