Is there a BRP bestiary?

Matt

Is there a BRP bestiary? Obviously I can write up various animals on my own, but it's nice to see what someone else did if only to ensure I don't forget a particular talent an animal might have, or to be sure I'm not over- or underestimating sizes and speeds and how much damage a bite/kick/scratch does. Not really interested in a "monster manual" as I don't do much fantasy-type gaming, more interested in real creatures large and small, as well as extinct and prehistoric beasts.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=3721 - the RQIII Creatures book ported to BGB BRP

http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=925 - Call of Cthulhu monsters and such but BRP compatible.

http://basicroleplaying.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=398 - created for French edition of BRP and translated by Stephen Posey.

There's also a creatures book in development for Magic World, plus numerous compatible creature collections for other D100 games such as RQ6, Legend etc.

Cheers

Nick

Monster Island for RQ6

Monsters of Legend and Monsters of Legend II for Legend

All on Drive Thrue

The descriptions on the site don't tell me nearly enough to know what's in these. Monster Island sounds like it would mostly be a setting or scenario. The others appear to be fantasy creatures. Whoever writes those product descriptions didn't do a very good job as I cannot even tell what's in the product.

Sadly, both are watermarked PDFs; unfortunately I can't use PDFs (and if I could, I wouldn't buy watermarked ones).

AFAIR both of the 'of Legend' books have their contents listed in posts on the Mongoose forums.

Here's a partial list of the natural animals copied off the index of MoL.

Baboon...........................................................103

Bear, Brown...................................................104

Bear, Polar......................................................105

Boar................................................................106

Cattle..............................................................107

Chimpanzee...................................................108

Deer................................................................109

Dog.................................................................110

Elephant..........................................................111

Gorilla............................................................112

Hawk..............................................................113

Horse..............................................................114

Lion................................................................115

Mammoth.......................................................116

Panther............................................................117

Rhinoceros.....................................................118

Shark..............................................................119

Tiger...............................................................120

Tiger, Sabre Tooth (Smilodon).......................121

Wolf................................................................122

Monster Island is indeed mostly a sandbox on the same lines as Griffin Island and the earlier Griffin Mountain for RQ.

The Monsters of Legend book was available in SB, I've seen copies. MoL2 should be in SB print soon.

Your best bet is the BASIC file on here translated from the French.

However if you can get hold of any old RQ or CoC core or bestiary books from a local game store and flick through them to check you should find something for natural creatures.

Nigel

The descriptions on the site don't tell me nearly enough to know what's in these. Monster Island sounds like it would mostly be a setting or scenario. The others appear to be fantasy creatures. Whoever writes those product descriptions didn't do a very good job as I cannot even tell what's in the product.

Really? The Monster Island product description should read as follows, which clearly indicates it contains an extensive bestiary...

Imagine a land of dark, sweltering jungles filled with nameless monstrosities and savage reptilian head-hunters... hacking through thick undergrowth to uncover forgotten overgrown ruins filled with glittering treasures... discovering mysterious cities of gold hidden high up between the sheer mountain peaks, filled with foul sorceries... uncovering ancient temples still used by secretive cults to practice their abhorrent sacrifices... and worse still, if those gods arose as titanic beasts beyond mortal comprehension, to destroy those that dare despoil their worshippers...

Then imagine you’ve arrived, shipwrecked or magically transported, to this tropical hell and that there is no escape.

Welcome to the horror of Monster Island!

Monster Island is a fully detailed sandbox setting which can be used in almost any existing campaign, from Swords & Sorcery through to 1930’s Two Fisted Pulp. It contains enough material to run a game for years, including:

An examination of the native cultures, their strange habits and unsettling magical practices

Almost a hundred new creatures, plants and spirits to use in any RuneQuest campaign

Comprehensive tables for encounters, random events, poisons, diseases, treasures and the like

New spells, miracles and fully defined cults for those that wish to dabble in the dark arts

Several dozen places of interest, half of which have been fully detailed for immediate play

Countless plot hooks and scenario ideas, as well as guidance on how to incorporate Monster Island into an existing campaign

If you had done a search for Monster Island reviews you might have discovered this in-depth listing of the bestiary. The RQ6 core rules include an extensive list of animals and monsters too.

Sadly, both are watermarked PDFs; unfortunately I can't use PDFs (and if I could, I wouldn't buy watermarked ones).

Monster Island is also available as a printed book, which can be ordered directly from our website. We don't offer POD via DriveThru due to its low quality.

Hope that helps.