New Front Page

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- The background is perhaps a little too dark for the text to remain readable

I'll try to lighten the background in the text boxes then. It was a bit hard to keep the "parchment" feel of the background when I experimented with it, but I'll give it another shot.

- Is there a way to work in the little "forum profile" box? It was a nice handy summary of recent posts

Where is the little box that tells me if there are new posts since my last visit?

The last frontpage was a php module based page. As my knowledge of php is next to nothing, it was difficult to modify and update, but it did allow for the profile module you're talking about. The current one is html-based. I'm not sure it's possible to have the forum profile box on such a page, but I'll look into it. If it's not, do you prefer the frontpage the way it was before? With all the modules, or is the aestethics of the new one enough to make up for the loss of the profile box?

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The last frontpage was a php module based page. As my knowledge of php is next to nothing, it was difficult to modify and update, but it did allow for the profile module you're talking about. The current one is html-based. I'm not sure it's possible to have the forum profile box on such a page, but I'll look into it. If it's not, do you prefer the frontpage the way it was before? With all the modules, or is the aestethics of the new one enough to make up for the loss of the profile box?

SGL.

The new front page is nice; the parchment look and simple layout lend it a classy look. I miss the functionality of being able to see new posts from the front page, but I can just get that from the front page of the forums.

Thank you for all your work on putting this site together!

Matt

I'll try to lighten the background in the text boxes then. It was a bit hard to keep the "parchment" feel of the background when I experimented with it, but I'll give it another shot.

SGL.

The old way, unless the new version can tell us what new messages await.

I miss the functionality of being able to see new posts from the front page, but I can just get that from the front page of the forums.

Thank you for all your work on putting this site together!

Matt

Thank you! :D

The old way, unless the new version can tell us what new messages await.

I'm looking into how to do just that. If I'm not able to figure out that myself, I just got an ofer from someone more knowledgeable than me to look into it.

I'm not fond of the new look, as it looks fairly broken in Firefox.

What!?? Stupid Firefox! It's a simple html-page! Firefox sucks then! :mad:

SGL.

line 347: mozilla adds a line feed at the end of h1 tags. You can replace it with this:

<span style="font-size: 48pt; font-weight: bold; font-family: times; color:rgb(0,0,102);">  Basic Roleplaying Forum</span></td></tr>

line 352: remove <p> tag at beginning of line

line 355: remove </p> tag at end of line

Solves problem for firefox, looks ok with explorer.

My Glorantha fan site: http://www.clan-tula.co.uk

The image of the barkeep and patron doesn't align with the menu image for me. Or rather it only aligns when I reduce the font size to really small. Setting a fixed font size or perhaps setting the images to scale would work.

I've attached a screenshot.

post-312-140468074157_thumb.jpg

The image of the barkeep and patron doesn't align with the menu image for me. Or rather it only aligns when I reduce the font size to really small. Setting a fixed font size or perhaps setting the images to scale would work.

I've attached a screenshot.

Hmm... The images won't scale, but perhaps I can fix the font size.

What kind of screen resolution do you have?

SGL.

I set the window to 1024x768 before taking a look. My screen is a 1680x1050 96dpi screen, but not matter what size the window is it's still the same. If I shrink the font so it aligns I can just read the page text but the right sidebar is magnifying glass territory.

By the way I'm using Firefox. I just tried it with IE, Safari and Opera. It works fine in IE but Safari and Opera have the same problem.

I set the window to 1024x768 before taking a look. My screen is a 1680x1050 96dpi screen, but not matter what size the window is it's still the same. If I shrink the font so it aligns I can just read the page text but the right sidebar is magnifying glass territory.

By the way I'm using Firefox. I just tried it with IE, Safari and Opera. It works fine in IE but Safari and Opera have the same problem.

Can you take another look? I set margins of the <h1> tags to 0, and it looks fine in Opera for me now.

Anyone else have any opinions or feedback?

This is the sketch of the frontpage in question: Basic Roleplaying Central - games

SGL.

Hi Sverre,

Looks great to me, and works fine in my IE on Vista!

Just from the POV of aesthetics, you might want to recolour (or get rid of :)) the blue outlines of the sections in the RH column. They look a bit jagged on my machine and might work better either in black or just removed. Also (but this is really just IMHO), maybe change the font colour of the "Basic Roleplaying Forum" text at the top of the page to match the warm-earth tones of the new look n feel - maybe browns or maroons or even black rather than the current dark blue?

Anyhow, looks great. I like the parchment effect and the neat bas-relief backgrounds to the section headers in the RH column!

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Just from the POV of aesthetics, you might want to recolour (or get rid of :)) the blue outlines of the sections in the RH column. They look a bit jagged on my machine and might work better either in black or just removed.

I agree and I've tried, but still haven't figured out how to do just that. But I'll go ask the on the mod forums to hear if they have any ideas.

Also (but this is really just IMHO), maybe change the font colour of the "Basic Roleplaying Forum" text at the top of the page to match the warm-earth tones of the new look n feel - maybe browns or maroons or even black rather than the current dark blue?

Hmm... I agree there too now that you mention it. I'll go about experimenting with some other colours! :P

Thanks!

SGL.

Sorry, but it looks broken to me too. The bar scene picture has another row of half-bottles underneath, like in dzappone's screenshot, and the word "Central" wraps down right next to it as well.

PS: Why is doing this more important than getting on with the SharedWorld map? ;)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Sorry, but it looks broken to me too. The bar scene picture has another row of half-bottles underneath, like in dzappone's screenshot, and the word "Central" wraps down right next to it as well.

How big screen, which resolution and what browser do you use? :cool:

PS: Why is doing this more important than getting on with the SharedWorld map? ;)

My attention wanders, but I will get back to it. I'm just dreading it a bit since I think that I maybe should start up with a bigger resolution map to allow for more further development (which leads to quite an amount of repeat work having to be done!).

SGL.